>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Sculpting

Old 19-02-2010, 03:11 AM   #181
AndrewQ

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 2
Did a quick pose and threw the first pass on the hair. About 6 hrs so far
Attached Images

AndrewQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #182
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunk View Post
time's up
as i expected i couldn't finish in time. next time i definitively won't waste so mush time in the early stages
Even though time is up you still have a very nice sculpt!

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #183
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
MrFunk : Really expressive face, I agree with hulahuga even if you couldn't finish it is still a very nice sculpt!
AndrewQ: Love his pose, good job so far. Is it intentional that his last finger seems extremely short?
MightyReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #184
Stoneking

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Hey Guys,
Really great work going on here, nice to see

Heyt Mighty, Very nice work so far man, keep rocking
Seven, WOW great work man, congratulations, love it
Andrew, Very nice work, specialy the face,
Mr Funk, Very nice also, i like this Neanderthal feel to it,

Cheers
Fernando

www.stoneking.com.br
Stoneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #185
AndrewQ

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
MightyReg: Originally yes, but it looks weird. luckily i havent spent much time on the hands yet so i will be fixing that.
AndrewQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #186
.seven
game artist

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''Mitch and Floyd'' art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
@AndrewQ: I really dig his head man. Reminds me of the old hobbit cartoon version of Gollum.

@MrFunk: Congrats on finishing

@MightyReg: Good start. If I may suggest something, bring in the shoulders towards his torso a bit and look at some references of gorillas and body builders and see if you can come up with a happy medium. Right now I think they may be too wide for his build.

New ones for tonight.

part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VElnoIObNDU

part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfidYf8niIc
.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #187
frostsnake

thanks for nice feedback and good work everyone!

seven- the fur is looking great, and nice concept. was fun to watch how you built the basemesh in modo, realy made me want to try it out.
AndrewQ-interesting face, and the intense eyes are cool.
MrFunk-thats awesome, and the face looks realy good,also the anatomy and proportions. btw has he been shot?:s
MightyReg looking good. keep working that anatomy.
frostsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #188
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Hey everyone!

Me and the rest of the staff are very impressed with what's going on with the entries. I've been following some of you for a long time on these comps and you've really progressed!
Here's the Final Entries thread, for anyone who's completed their entry already. Don't leave it for the last day!

FINAL ENTRIES
Keep up the great work!

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #189
MrFunk

Send a message via ICQ to MrFunk
Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
thank you guys for all the kind words i'm glad you like my entry.

Frostsnake: yep, the poor guy has been shot

hey freespace...there is one question that bothers me...are we allowed do add additional lights? a nice rimlight for example. i was kinda curious about that since we actually are not supposed to do any lighting, but yet there are matcap materials which are lit by several lights.
Old 20-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #190
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
MrFunk, why don't you do some screenshots with a simple matcap and no lights, then a beauty screenshot with rim light. Should be balanced and fine.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #191
frostsnake

here is 2 part vid of my snowman.
hope you like the music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlczaCKmIKo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYfcMmMLB9U
frostsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #192
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Stoneking: Thanks a lot!

.seven: Thanks for pointing that out, been looking gorilla photos and you are right, their shoulders and torso are not that wide, I'll try to bring them in a bit.

frostsnake: Thanks!

Awww man! Just realised that there is only 28 days in February and that there is not much days left! So I did an hour this morning, going to try doing at least 2 other hours this weekend.
Here's my progress at 4 hours, worked on the face and the hands, and added eyes and teeth subtools.
Attached Images

MightyReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #193
.seven
game artist

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: ''Mitch and Floyd'' art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
@frostsnake: Thanks man. Just watched your vids too. I love the music you put in. Awesome. I also really like watching other people's workflow. Really interesting to see how you attack areas. Good job sir.

part 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4WC2lpuIE

Didn't post it last night because Youtube wasn't ready for the upload when i was done for the night but it's been up for awhile.

edit:

part 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8V5C5_YLiw
is up, quality should get better in an hour or two. Music should be added as well.

Last edited by .seven; 20-02-2010 at 06:51 PM..
.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #194
mastein

Send a message via MSN to mastein
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The Almighty Thor has been plugged to the top bar! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My Show Time sculpt has been plugged on toprow. The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place on Abominable Snowman sculpting challange! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 17
h i cant resist!
Got a little free time this week, hope i can do something with that.
This is the first hour progress. Made a Zsphere BaseMesh, fixed some errors and added some edges on 3DsMax, and blocked the main shape of my Yeti.
My idea is to make it looking like some kind of evoluted polar bear.Most people imagine Yetis as a ice gorilla, but i cant really think that way.
Some amazing entries till now, good luck everyone!
Attached Images

mastein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #195
Mclean

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
arrr you and me both mastein i cant resist, screw it im joining in, heres my stuff so far, around 4 hours in, gonna add some fur sooon
Attached Images

Mclean is offline   Reply With Quote