>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > CG News > Latest Headlines

Old 16-10-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
Grant Warwick: Free Inorganic Modeling Tutorial series.

http://digitalapprentice.net/Communi...=67&Itemid=154

Attached Images

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life

Last edited by Sathe; 23-12-2008 at 09:43 AM..
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
trokkes

Thumbs up

Hi Sathe,
I have just view the first one and I like very much how you explain all the process.
I think you are very clear and I like your modeling techniques
I need to see it two or three times more, and then I post something more.

Thanks for this tutorials

Trokkes
Old 16-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
DarthWayne
Digital Sculpting Addict

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 3
An excellent contribution to the 3d community Grant. Something like this has been needed for a while.

Wayne....
Old 18-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
Sathe
Hardstyle

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Thanks man, i felt a bit the same, these days Inorganic feels like its dying out to Zbrush and these skills are needed by every modeler in the industry so hopefully this encourages a couple of newcomers to get more active in the Hard styles :P

Threedy 4 life
Old 18-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
DarthWayne
Digital Sculpting Addict

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathe View Post
Thanks man, i felt a bit the same, these days Inorganic feels like its dying out to Zbrush and these skills are needed by every modeler in the industry so hopefully this encourages a couple of newcomers to get more active in the Hard styles :P

I totally agree. In fact in some ways it could be argued that digital sculpting has meant a lot of peole starting out njow do not have the sound poly skills anymore. Thats what makes videos such as these so valuable in my opinion. Hard surface is due for a revival soon I think.

Wayne...
Old 18-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Sathe
Hardstyle

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthWayne View Post
I totally agree. In fact in some ways it could be argued that digital sculpting has meant a lot of peole starting out njow do not have the sound poly skills anymore. Thats what makes videos such as these so valuable in my opinion. Hard surface is due for a revival soon I think.

Wayne...

Exactly. Find me someone working in the industry who starts off with zspheres, sculpts, retopoes, and calls it a day? I mean, those are all invaluable skills but i see SOOO F*#$%ing many people here and on ZBC who have alot of talent at organic but seam to think this is all they need and continually pump it out.

Confuses me.
Definitely up for a revival

Threedy 4 life
Old 18-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
mizino

Dude....its so simple! lol i wish i had max still so it would be useful to me lol...got anything for maya? hehe Anyway i love it its great the simple way you explain everything makes it feel easy and really when you think about it the way you say to think about it in the tutorial then it is easy.
mizino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #8
Sathe
Hardstyle

Awards Showcase
Inorganic Modeling can become very easy yes!.

The hard part and i really can't say it enough is getting your head around what is actually causing the model to look like it does, why certain points will create certain curves etc. When you know this you can visualise exactly what needs to be done before you model it then the tweaking and pushing time is greatly reduced.
This is what takes the time, not the actual cutting and extruding.

Threedy 4 life
Old 18-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Total Awards: 11
ZBrush Killed The Poly Modeler Star!

Great new stuff Grant. Keep 'em coming.

DD
Old 18-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
Bubbaloo
I be learnin me some 3d.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
I learned some new methods thanks to your 3 videos. Thanks!!

My Wesite:
http://lunatic-studio.com/
Bubbaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 08:37 AM   #11
Nupsi

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbaloo View Post
I learned some new methods thanks to your 3 videos.
Me too^^Thanks a lot for sharing, Sathe!
Nupsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
DarthWayne
Digital Sculpting Addict

Awards Showcase
I remember when I started out if you couldn't poly model you were screwed..unless you resorted to the whole 'poser base mesh' thing and then you'd get laughed off most boards. Just being able to use base meshes isn't going to get anyone a job fast. Poly modelling is an essential part of 3d AND digital sculpting. Sure, from time to time we all like to test our sculpting skills with low res bases, but in productions its far faster to have a decent base before you start.

Wayne...
Old 18-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
Sathe
Hardstyle

Awards Showcase
I Guess we are lucky we got started before Zbrush knocked about then Eh? :P

Ive done my fare share of sculpting as its just as required but maybe Inorganic will come back.
Just like there was one too many cars made i guess there will be on too many heads sculpted at some point :P

Threedy 4 life
Old 19-10-2008, 01:46 AM   #14
Bubbaloo
I be learnin me some 3d.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
I agree with you guys. If I see one more "alien head", I'm going to puke...
No offense to your avatar pic, DW!

My Wesite:
http://lunatic-studio.com/
Bubbaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #15
DarthWayne
Digital Sculpting Addict

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbaloo View Post
I agree with you guys. If I see one more "alien head", I'm going to puke...
No offense to your avatar pic, DW!
None taken.

As most of the stuff I do for clients is pretty damn borring I do alot of monsters etc etc to relax and couldnt care less if they are art or not lol. Its either that or watch mindknumbing TV and this way I get to make EVERYONE sufffer lol.

A job I did a while back nearly drove me crazy from an art point of view. Imagine spending 4 months of your life replicating to the smallest detail a latex suit from a well known british sci fi series... trouble is the early 1960 design is probably the worst ever to disgrace tv screens and all but 2 stills have been lost (including the episiode itself.)

You can't change it in any way to help it look a bit nicer.so your stuck replicatig the worst monster design in history and worst bit is even when they let you..your never going to want to show anyone it incase they think your responsible for the design lol. Thats why I do a lot of monsters..to calm the urge to kill the art directors. This way I get to give everyone nightmares...and not all of it due to the art lol.

Wayne...