>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 21-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
DWIV - spoiLars - Untitled

Figured I'd just as well set up my thread today. I had a really hard time even deciding on what faction to choose, but I think I ended up with a dwarf warlord character. I did a quick concept of him and a weapon suggestion at work while waiting for a render yesterday (on a post-it note ), I'll try to get it scanned and posted on here when I get back to work on Monday. Thought about doing a demon, but I think maybe I'll be able to get more personality into the dwarf character.

Good luck to all you guys, give 'em hell
Old 21-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Dwarf warlord hey...I throw down a gauntlet in thy general direction! May the best dwarf win! hehe (And I have the gauntlets modeled in preparation!)

I look forward to seeing your concept

*don't let this dissuade you, I DO want to see your concept!
Old 22-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
So, I kinda said to myself that I was going to wait until tomorrow with doing any more on this, to when I got back to the concepts I forgot at work on Friday (smart-ass). But as I got some left over time tonight after all, I ended up redoing the weapon concept.

The spherical thingumajig in the middle was supposed to be a kind of window into the fusion reactor like process going on inside the weapon, taking the magic sucked from the surroundings into the characters backpack apparatus thingy and concentrating it into a beam of raw magic. But atm I'm really hating the looks of the thing, so I'll either turn it into more of a canister shaped deal or remove it all together and place it on the apparatus on his back.

The ornament pattern is just a placeholder, figured I'd try to give it some dwarfish ornamentation to make it seem like its more of an unique relic than just a run of the mill sentry gun. Might make those transparent to show what the sphere thingy is doing right now and to break up the mechanical shapes a little with some glowing bits.
Attached Images

Old 22-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
Forgot to mention that I'm also considering changing from this one to a warhammer, as it is a little more classic "dwarf". But that same exact reason is also why I'm leaning towards keeping the current weapon type
Old 22-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Nice gun, I like it. Personally I find it difficult to create a convincing pose with a gun like that, where you need to cross one arm over to the other side....you'll all of a sudden realize that you're guy isn't physically capable of doing that and then you're stuck. Maybe try to design it so it could be held with on hand (Still keep the arm brace, just put the trigger up at the front). Gun looks cool overall though.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
DJdude
noobster

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Cool concept so far. I agree with puckducker about it needing to be one handed. Also, it needs more dials and switches and buttons and doohickeys.
Old 23-03-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
discmage

Awards Showcase
I dunno, The problem is if you CAN do a cool pose for this it looks AWESOME! eg. legs apart, angry face, raining hell on his enemies.

beofre giving up I would maybe do some quick sketches, or even a basic biped rig in dwarf scale to see if it can be done. Maybe give him longer armer, or tweak the gun to make it work for a 'short armed; person (diagonal or on the side handle).

Or you could have that thing at the top left be a bicep holder (you''d need some pivot around the base though), add a wrist strap and have the trigger on the front handle. As if the thing is strapped onto his arm with duct tape.

If THAT doesn't work, hook them up to a brace so he can carry the heavy stuff with one arm!

Just some thoughts!
Old 23-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
spoiLars

Awards Showcase
great input you guys. That problem didn't even cross my mind to be totally honest. I can see how that might get problematic, especially considering his short frame. Might be able to get around it if I find some more resting type of pose, where he can either hold it by his side or lean on it or something, but going one-handed is probably the best idea.

Discmage, I agree with what you're saying, I think that might look cool if I can pull it off. The way to get away with something two handed would of course be to stand semi-sideways, holding it down at hip height. Great suggestions though, I'll definitely keep them in mind.