>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 06-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #91
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: George Lucas, 3rd place speed sculpting #14 Celebrity Caricature The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Runner Hybrid, 2nd place speed sculpting #17 Biomechanical Hybrid Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
I don't know if you feel like going back and working in some more detail in the sculpting, but since we haver another week, I feel like pointing one thing out that looks like it could use work. The crackly bits on the arms, doesn't seem to be up to the quality of the rest of your sculpting, don't just rely on a zbrush alpha, you should go in and give that some treatment by hand. If you feel you have the time. The rest, the fleshy bits, is looking awesome, keep at it. I wish I had advice on the normals stuff but i'm rather a novice at that myself so if you get some success, be sure to post up what you did.
H2olt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #92
Warbringerd

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
So I have been fidelling around with the normal and Occ maps and I'm pretty happy with how they have turned out now. I ended up adjusting settings and having to go in a do some manual corrections but I should have figured that you never get it right the first time. So here are a few shots of just Normal and Occ maps.. Next on to the diffuse..Yay!
Attached Images

Warbringerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #93
patient09

nice bud. definite improvement over the last post.

this is a great pose too.
patient09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 05:25 AM   #94
Warbringerd

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Started Diffuse, also have a small glow effect, got a bit done but its slow going as I'm not a terribly good texture artist. I still have lots to learn for texturing. Here's a question....How do most people go about starting thier spec maps? Do they use the AO? or do they desaturate thier diffuse? Someone wanna let me know so I can get to work on it and not have it take the rest of the time I need for other equally important aspects of this project.
Attached Images

Old 14-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #95
Darbruce
It's an Hatastrophe!

Awards Showcase
hey man, i feel ya on the texture front, I actually use a good high quality cavity map (you can render one out of zbrush) and adjust the curves, levels, highlight/shadow etc til it looks about right in relation to the major areas and go from there. also, for the diffuse, if you know how to use zbrush, polypainting works wonders in laying down your base colors and major details. I just learned this the hard way this past weekend.
Old 14-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #96
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
For my spec map, I actually took my normal map, then deleted all but the green channel. This gave me a nice start. I then adjusted the curves and levels till I got the result I wanted. May not be the best option, and I'm a complete noob when it comes to spec maps, so take my advise with a grain of salt lol.

Looking good so far. Keep it up.
Old 15-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #97
Warbringerd

Awards Showcase
Decided to take a break from Photoshop (sort of) for tonight so I got down and dirty with the pedestal. Let me know what you think, its a bit on the large side right now so there will probably be some scaleing(must be late my speeling is beginning to look weird) in maya later but here it is for now.
Attached Images

Old 15-05-2009, 05:12 AM   #98
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
nice pedestal, I like it. And for diffuse maps I used Ambient occlusion maps as overlay or softlight layers (depending on the result) in photoshop. Then plain color on the bottom layer and then added some scratches
Old 15-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #99
JuST

Awards Showcase
I like it, too. I hope to see your entry finished this weekend!
Old 19-05-2009, 04:01 AM   #100
Warbringerd

Awards Showcase
Well 11:55 pm and Dom War site won't let me upload, here are my images anyhow.
Attached Images

Old 19-05-2009, 04:03 AM   #101
Warbringerd

Awards Showcase
And the final texture sheet.
Attached Images

Old 19-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #102
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Very nice. Big high five for finishing. Keep trying to submit, I believe they gave a 12 hour extension because of all the problems uploading.