>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 13-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #31
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Last two update are looking good, Only crit I've got, the foot tentacles are looking a little sparse detail wise, compared to the rest. Perhaps some more wrinklage on them? [Fine wrinkles, not major wrinkles] Otherwise, looks good, the face and arm turned out great I think.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #32
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: George Lucas, 3rd place speed sculpting #14 Celebrity Caricature The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Runner Hybrid, 2nd place speed sculpting #17 Biomechanical Hybrid Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
Here's a quick screen grab of the results of a quick unwrap and projection in xNormal.

For anyone who uses Maya, I found a great pelt style UV unwrapping program that's a little touchy, but is better than everything else I've tried including headus. Roadkill

It supports max and a couple other programs too, but I can't speak towards version compatability.

Anywhoo, here's what I've got so far. A lot of info got lost in the translation so I may have to heighten the detail in zBrush and re'export. But I'm kinda running short on time for that.
Attached Images

H2olt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #33
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: George Lucas, 3rd place speed sculpting #14 Celebrity Caricature The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Runner Hybrid, 2nd place speed sculpting #17 Biomechanical Hybrid Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Heya Warlock, didn't see your post right off, thx for looking in. I've updated the legs, just been a little too busy to post up updates. building the lowpoly and figuring out the normal map stuff took me way longer that it should have. Hop[efully I can get a couple textures on this quick. still need a pedestal too. :P
Old 15-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #34
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Looking very solid.
I can't wait to see some of the fine surface detail and some color.

My only crituque is his seeming lack of structure... I know it's supposed to be a deformed blob sort of creature, but he still doesn't seem to have enough underlying structure. MAybe its just me though. Probably too late to change at this point anyway.

Keep up the good work.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #35
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Looks good so far! I like those tentacles.
Can't wait to see it in colour.
Old 18-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #36
Fixor

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Really original design, nicely sculpted and baked! Can't wait to see the colors!

DWIV - 3D - Fixor - Eckhart
Fixor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 04:22 AM   #37
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Well, between nearly constant computer crashes and me not realizing till a bit too late that i don't know how to get a good normal render out of maya, it doesn't look like i get a grenade this year. :P

Here's a screen shot of it from inside 8monkey lab's marmoset engine. I always have way more success rendering stuff with normals in live engines like this and unreal that I ever have with maya.

Anyway time for some much needed rest, then I'll get some better renders and stuff up later.

Edit: I just realized that all of this texture was done today so i don't feel 'as' bad.
Attached Images

Last edited by H2olt; 19-05-2009 at 05:33 AM..
Old 20-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #38
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Shame you didn't get it wrapped up in time.

The gas clouds a looking a little questionable right now. Not sure how best to go about it to be honest. I'd probably have tried [and failed miserably] maybe mapping to flat polys, and placing them in a cloud pattern. I think at the very least some transparency on what you've got would help.

I really like the colors you ended up with on there. Those work well together. The textures are looking pretty good all around. Really like how his back turned out.

Hope to see you get him finished up soon.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote