>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Sculpting

Old 27-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
NeoHuman Race

After the Smoke Clears: NeoHuman Race

Welcome to the Twenty-second Speed Sculpting Challenge. Whether you're new to sculpting, to the Threedy forums, or you're a seasoned veteran, come and join in on the Sculpting madness – there's plenty of fun and learning to be had by all!

1. The competition will run until the 31st of January 2010, 11:59 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here); the time between now and then will be allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting for the entries – at which point the next competition should start.

2. You will be supplying your own base mesh for the competition, from which you will start sculpting. You can create your base mesh in any application ( 3dsmax, Maya, XSI, Cinema4D, Zspheres in Zbrush, etc ) using any technique, with no limits. Do not use an already made base mesh, you must build it specifically for this challenge.

3. There is a fixed time limit for your sculpting. Do not exceed the time limit, it is part of the challenge.

4. Do not add any meshes other than those sanctioned in this competition brief.

5. You will have to supply a wireframe screenshot of your base mesh/meshes along with your final entry image ( see rule 7 ).

6. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging – let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt! What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpt you can produce. If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable and on topic.

7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it, along with your screenshot of the base meshes used ( see rule 5 ). It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labeling etc., but do not add any post-production to the images themselves. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "Manage Attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external image files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.

8. You can create multiple sculpts, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.

9. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here and your FINAL entry in the Final Submissions thread.

These rules apply to everybody taking part – there will be NO exceptions!

1st Place
Shapeways - $300 of 3d printing (models must be uploaded to shapeways before judging to qualify)
e-on software - Ozone 4.0 - worth $295
Topogun - Single user licence - worth $100
Eat3d - Any DVD (download) - worth approx $60
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 12 month subscription - worth $40
3DTotal - Any 3DTotal book
3DTotal - t-shirt

* please note 3DTotal books are Digital Art Masters and Digital Painting Techniques Series only
**3DTotal t-shirts can be swapped for 3DTotal ebooks if you already own one

2nd Place
Focal Press - Any 2 books - worth approx $60-$100
Eat3d - Any DVD (download) - worth approx $60
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 6 month subscription - worth $20
3DTotal - t-shirt

3rd Place
3DTotal - Any 1 ebook - worth $15
3DTotal - t-shirt

4th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt

5th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt

Additionally, 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners please send a request for your corresponding shiny forum award: http://forums.3dtotal.com/awards.php

More details on our sponsors and the enormous prizes can be found here.

Time limit: 10 hours

Start Date: 4th January 2010

Deadline: 31st January, 11:59 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here)

Subject: NeoHuman Race

A new year dawns over the Earth. The demonic invasion brought by Armageddon has taken the planet by force and has forever changed the order of things. Civilization has been utterly annihilated and what remains of humanity's great cities is now more like an alien landscape of dust, ruins and destruction.

The Demonic Overseer has moved its gaze unto other planes of existence, leaving our burnt world behind. But with the new year, after the smoke clears, comes the time of a new breed of life. A neohuman race. Our followers. Those that will become the new masters of what we left behind ( what's left of it ).

Your task is to imagine and design this new species that will become the dominant life on Earth. It can be one of the current species of our ecosystem, that has somehow adapted to the new conditions following the invasion. It can be a mutation between several species. It can be your vision of how humanity would possibly come out of Armageddon ( changes to our physiology, proportions ).

Bonus points for making an imaginative pedestal for it!

As before, there is no limit on the number of basemeshes, just on the time you spend on them and the sculpt itself.

As always, you can choose a realistic style for your sculpt, but you can also try your hand at a stylized version as well. You can do a head or a bust, but a full body sculpt is extremely recommended.

Let's try this out:
Download the free application CamStudio here, and record your progress on the sculpt ( set it to save about one frame per second ). You will not have to display it to the public, only to the judges in case you qualify in the top three. Of course, you don't need to complete the whole sculpt in one sitting, so just resume recording whenever you return to the sculpt ( multiple video recording files are acceptable ). Feedback on this idea is welcome!

Please read all the rules and brief carefully. If there are any further questions, ask and they shall be answered.

Last edited by Freespace-3DT; 03-01-2010 at 06:28 PM..
Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
here goes

40 mins into the base mesh.

c&c are really welcome.

should i model more or head to zbrush?
Attached Images

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
this sounds quite cool.. i would wonder what kinda life would be left.. am thinking starship troopers maybe.. lol
Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
GMGraham

WOW! I will have to try and enter this one, we'll see how work goes this month.
GMGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
delavega

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Sweet! Love the theme.
Will most probably join this one.
cheers
delavega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
wasco
3Dexter

Send a message via ICQ to wasco
Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aby arty View Post
40 mins into the base mesh.

c&c are really welcome.

should i model more or head to zbrush?
arty, you forgot about fingers and toes
Old 05-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Mr.fE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
...didn't have luck with the armageddon game art challenge...I might try this one!
Mr.fE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
throne
Problem ?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
NVM, reread the rules...

Last edited by throne; 05-01-2010 at 12:29 PM..
throne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
@wasco those ill def add, but anything other than that u would advise me too do in the modelling stage rather than sculpting?

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
@wasco those ill def add, but anything other than that u would advise me too do in the modelling stage rather than sculpting?
well if i were you.. i'd probably try and add some basic topology for the eyes and mouth area.. hold on i'll down the image and add some doodles for what i think.

ok i have added some text to where i think you should perhaps take the base mesh.. i've tried to keep it simple.. and others might have further tips that might aid you.. but hope it helps..
Attached Images

Last edited by Neil_F01; 05-01-2010 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: helping
Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
mastein

Send a message via MSN to mastein
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My Show Time sculpt has been plugged on toprow. The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The Almighty Thor has been plugged to the top bar! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place on Abominable Snowman sculpting challange! 
Total Awards: 17
huhu nicee
i´m in!
mastein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
wasco
3Dexter

Send a message via ICQ to wasco
Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! 
Quote:
my advise is - make a quick 2d sketch of your character before you will start with basemesh or sculpting; it will save a LOT of your time
Old 07-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
Dront

Sounds like great fun I´m in!
Dront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Steban

Awards Showcase
hi guys, here there are 3 hours of sculpting
Attached Images

Steban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
DE3MOHD

Send a message via ICQ to DE3MOHD
My concept ... I hope it will be something like rock golem
Attached Images

DE3MOHD is offline   Reply With Quote