>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Digital Painting

Old 24-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #16
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Care with your lightning when you're rendering in 3D, some more lightning work could "help" your 3D image, maybe one more side spot. Your 3D background image is not working with it, maybe you should change it?
No offense man but, in my point of view, your starting concept/environement sketches are better than your 3D base.
This Japanese amusement park is awesomely working with the theme of this competition, the first photos are soo inspirating. I would have gone with those as strong start documentation if I had seen them before, now it's too late for me I'm already on my way, but those can help you a lot! (Especially the railroad ones=>robot)
How did you find this little treasure?

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #17
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Washka: Thanks for the comments My lighting could use tons of work, and the background is off - I realize this. I wish I had more time, but I am not fast at painting so I gotta move on - plus, I think that it's kinda not important. I really just wanna make sure my perspective is fine, which is what the rough 3D is for. But next time, I swear I'll get to this phase sooner and do a better job with the lighting. As for the background, I couldn't find a good photo for the kind of background I wanted, but the one I ended up using had good perspective I wanted to use, so I went with it. Again, I'm gonna paint over it, so I think it's good enough. But I do wish I did a better job. I really had to rush it

Secondly, I remembered reading about that hobbyist culture in Japan somewhere. Not online, but in - gasp* - a print magazine! It took me awhile to remember where I saw it, but then I remembered I saw it in Nintendo Power. Here's the scans of the article they ran on Fragile a few months back, including the blurb on the real-life abandoned sites in Japan. The article said that a web search for "Haikyo" ('Ruins' in Japanese) will net you all sorts of blogs and stuff apparently. I skipped over to a google image search, and found one of the pics near the bottom of the first page of search results. That's how I found that site

Nintendo Power Scans:
Pages 1 and 2:

Pages 3 and 4:

Web searching the term however does net some great results, including this page by a Michael John Grist. Including a gallery on Ghost Towns!. There's also a gallery on Amusement Parks, including an absolutely horrifying one based on Gulliver's Travels. I suggest googling Haikyo sometime and just checking out what you find; there's tons of stuff out there. I'm just glad I remembered the article in the first place, and went looking for this stuff!

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity

Last edited by VinsanityV20; 25-01-2010 at 12:51 AM..
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Seem you're smart when you need to find something.
Those links are really interesting, photos from there are really good, especially for environement concept documentation or ghost/horror theme.
I'll remember that Haikyo keyword for next time, thanks!
Last time I found interesting doc, it was on threedy home, and it was about medieval armor stuff and castle, think it's still there on the banner but It won't help you a lot for robots.
I'll come again to see your work.

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
Old 25-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #19
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 

I've still gotta play around with the ground a bit. I think the road could use some cracks, and maybe some pebbles or moss creeping onto the road. Also the hills in the very back aren't dark enough I think, considering their proximity to the light source (the sunset). But I'm pretty much ready to start work on the middle ground. Which, conveniently, seems to be hiding my color palettes

Last edited by VinsanityV20; 25-01-2010 at 12:50 AM..
Old 25-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #20
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase

(just flipping it around to make sure the perspective is still good)

Now, onto the middle ground!

Old 25-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #21
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase

Everything in the middle ground is blocked out. Now to actually paint it all in. *sigh* One object at a time. So much for all this steady progress...

Oh, and remember: RESOURCES!

Last edited by VinsanityV20; 25-01-2010 at 06:45 AM..
Old 27-01-2010, 04:14 AM   #22
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Did the closest buildings and started the robot:

I figure I'll add color at the last minute, along with final lighting and foliage creeping over everything. I don't wanna get too hung up on color right now. Gotta make sure the values look right; I desaturated my Max render and put it as the top layer on my stack. Clicking it on and off lets me quickly check to see if the buildings' values are looking right. And they're matching up pretty nicely. I still want more contrast though, and "bloom lighting" effects, but I'll do that once I'm done getting all the buildings detailed.

I'm thinking I can finish off the front buildings and maybe the robot by tommorow. Then detail the back buildings (less so, since they're farther away) on Thurs-Friday. THEN take the last two days before the due date for finishing touches. That's when I'll add color and fake lighting and foliage and stuff.

Back to work!

Note to self: do something about the rust on that girder. It stands out too much, and you can notice the color a lot.Oh, and, I forgot to add cracks into the window. Finally, nix the crane. And the silos behind the stadium - they look like they're IN the stadium. There's too much random sh*t here anyway Also, I don't wanna block that sky entirely...

Last edited by VinsanityV20; 27-01-2010 at 04:27 AM..
Old 28-01-2010, 04:30 AM   #23
WhiteGuardian

Awards Showcase
Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: 01-04-2010 08:07 AM  	 Edit  Remove   	 chris_solo 	won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. 
Total Awards: 1
Haven't seen someone start by using 3d program to do 2d art. Great!!!
Seem like you wanna block 1 part by part before you blending it. Keep it up man. and hurry up, the deadline is almost come
WhiteGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #24
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
days left and because you didn't do the game art comp, you have to finish this one. It's in the rules.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #25
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
White Guardian: Thanks man! Glad you find my "technique" interesting I kinda hate it, because it TAKES FOREVER. I suppose that's what I get for being a 3D artist; I "paint" in much the same way I texture a model (I'm ABUSING Photoshop's Edit>Transform>Distort function). But no worries, I will finish!

Big Toe: Consider it done. I WILL be there, handing this puppy in, on Jan 31. I think - I'll hand it in on the 30th then to make sure

Anyway, more WIP:

Just gotta detail up the stadium in the background and add another level of detail for the robot. Then everything should be done with that. A quick foreground job, then color and final details (lighting mostly, and more foliage), and voila! I SHOULD be done. I'm close - I can feel it. I WILL FINISH THIS!!!!

And flipped:

The robot seems falling over a bit too much, but he IS supposed to be leaning, so I won't mess with it. Perspective, Balance seems good.

>>>>>Work on it tonight, Finish it tommorow! 2 Days left! (Note: GMT - Greenwich Time - is roughly 5 hours ahead of where I am. So, if it's due Sunday @ 11:59 over there, I should get it done sometime before Sunday 6:59 HERE - but don't push it that close)

Last edited by VinsanityV20; 29-01-2010 at 06:42 AM..
Old 29-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #26
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
I hate deadlines!
Last big work man, then it's over! Good luck!

Old 30-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #27
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Thx, Washka!

Here's my last Work-in-progress shot:

I'm definitely gonna finish, but I don't think I'll be able to add as much details as I wanted to Still, I'm gonna keep pushing till the very last - well, I don't really wanna push it too close to the deadline, so I'm just gonna work on it Saturday. Maybe a little Sunday.

At this point I just gotta add color for the medium and foreground objects and I'd feel fine with handing it in. But like I said I have other details in mind, so we'll see if I get around to addin' them in

See you all at the finish line!