>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Digital Painting

Old 18-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
Ghost Town

Digital Painting Challenge no. 03
Subject Ghost Town

Thread Naming: Your Name – Ghost Town

Keep all questions in this thread

Topic: Ghost Town

Idea:

It’s quit now…

The skies are no longer darkened by smoke; the burning horizons have clamed down.
What’s left of the buildings are crumbling. Covered in ivy as the grass grows around them. The animals that made it through the disaster have even moved on to better locations. The only thing calling this place home is the wind and it only visits on weekends. The sign entering town reads:

Ghost Town.

Requirements:

Your job if for this challenge is to depict what a ghost town looks like. The mood is up to you, but any viewer should be able to look at your image and tell what’s going on. Sketches are fine for your works in progress, but the final image needs to be fully rendered.

Deadline:

Sunday 11:59 pm (GMT) January 31st (use the time zone thread to make sure you’re done in time).

Deliverables:

All entrants are required to provide the following in the final entry:
• A work in progress (WIP) sheet
• A final image

WIP Sheet:

A WIP sheet is a compilation of images showcasing your creative process, from the initial sketches to the final image.

Final Image Sizes:

For the judging stage we will accept submissions as .JPG files at 72dpi – screen resolution – at approx. 800-1000 pixels wide. All submitted images must, however, be available in print resolution: 300dpi – print resolution – at approx. 3000-4000 pixels wide, or above. In case you win, you may be featured in 2dArtist Magazine.

Restrictions :

-All images, including concepts, sketches, 3D assets, etc. must be made specifically for this contest.

-No teams or groups – everything must be made by one person.

-Keep gore and nudity to a decent level, no explicit scenes.

-Winners may be asked to cooperate in an interview about themselves and their work, and provide detailed ‘making of’ articles accompanied by high-resolution work in progress stills for 2DArtist Magazine after the competition.

-You must create a W.I.P thread to show your work in progress

Prizes:

1st Place
Digital Tutors - Semi-Annual Membership worth - $225
Gnomon - Any training DVD (download) - worth approx $60
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 12 month subscription - worth $40
3DTotal - Any 3DTotal book - worth approx $40-$60
3DTotal - t-shirt

* please note 3DTotal books are Digital Art Masters and Digital Painting Techniques Series only
**3DTotal t-shirts can be swapped for 3DTotal ebooks if you already own one

2nd Place

Focal Press - Any 2 books - worth approx $60-$100
3DTotal - Any 3 ebooks - worth approx $45
2dartist or 3dcreative digital magazine, 6 month subscription - worth $20
3DTotal - t-shirt

3rd Place

3DTotal - Any 1 ebook - worth $15
3DTotal - t-shirt

4th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt

5th Place
3DTotal - t-shirt

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
wow !! amazing topic.

only one request , please u enter too! and if u can find a fellow mod to battle it out that would be awe inspiring.

and as for me entering , i will make sure i paint atleast 1 inch per day , though my system is acting up but iam not letting that leave me behind.

i want my fellow members to poke me into entering a lil bit more, like vnmribaya and MC do.

cheers
and lets all win

My 3D Thread
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
hardtack

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''Death Match'' 
Total Awards: 2
That is a pretty interesting idea. Well i guess its on to sketching
hardtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Sh*t, my last concept was a comp' too early...

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
shanmatte30

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''The Lonely Soldier'' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''The Lonely Soldier'' 
Total Awards: 2
H...H.....H...Horrible topic....
shanmatte30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #6
WhiteGuardian

Awards Showcase
Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: 01-04-2010 08:07 AM  	 Edit  Remove   	 chris_solo 	won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. 
Total Awards: 1
Wow, that's really nice theme. I wanna try to join this challenge.
This is my 1st post and just joining here.
WhiteGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Great Sky
Web cruncher

Send a message via Yahoo to Great Sky
woow.. this looks interesting to me.. finally since the thesis is done, I can join now ^^
Old 25-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Hey guys. For anyone whose interested, you can find excellent references by googling the word "Haikyo" ('Ruins' in Japanese). There's a whole hobbyist culture there devoted to exploring and photographing abandoned towns, amusement parks, villages, schools, resorts, etc. I stumbled upon it while looking into a game I was using for reference (Fragile, for the Wii), and an article in Nintendo Power clued me into this bizarre - but really useful for this comp! - hobby.

Example:
http://www.michaeljohngrist.com/ruins-gallery/

Be sure to check out his galleries on amusement parks and, yes, ghost towns. Creepy, but fascinating, stuff. And great reference for anyone whose interested.

Also found this while researching abandoned stadiums:
http://albums.phanfare.com/5406850/9999/
http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=80930

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity

Last edited by VinsanityV20; 25-01-2010 at 05:35 AM..
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Thanks a lot for those VinsanityV20, galleries contains good references!

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
Old 30-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Don't want to flood this one but I had some interesting idea about those challenge I wanted to share with threedy's modos.
You're doing monthly comp', but usually time and good ideas are helping "the good work".
And time can help creativity, originality, reference research, sketch research, and concept evolution.
So, if we just had the theme of the next comp' ten or fifty days before it starts, it could be really usefull, just the theme, not the real subject that's different in each category.
Just like some kind of preview that could help da brain to start to think about it.
I'll explain myself with an exemple.
For the digital painting category, we had last month the "Armaggedon" theme, and the "Lonely soldier" subject. Before that we had the "Myths and legends" theme and the subject was "Hero attacks", but others category had another subject, for exemple it was "Dragon lair" for the matte painting category.
Imagine, that the 15 of december, we had the information, (some sort of threedy news) =Hey guys, next comp' 's theme is about "Armageddon"! If you want to, you can start to think about it!!!=.
We still don't know if we will have to work onto a "Lonely soldier" or onto anything else, (That would be the surprise at the end of the month) so we don't know that, but we can start to think a little bit about the "Armageddon" theme, and that could be a great help, I think.
What do you think about that?

Last edited by washka; 30-01-2010 at 10:55 AM..
Old 30-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
thats a good idea. You should post it in the challenge idea thread: here

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Thanks for link, still got to learn a lot about threedy's forum structure.