>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Digital Painting

Old 28-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
ltken84
K^eN

Send a message via MSN to ltken84 Send a message via Yahoo to ltken84
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
ShiRin - Ghost Town

Perhaps its about time that I give the Ghost Town Digital Painting Challenge a try. Thanks to Washka who suggest that my previous WIP could be used for the challenge. So its about three days left, and Im going in for full force. Let me just roll out what started of for the painting...

It was initially a random image that I painted with painter and later combined with a 3D mesh created from Maya.

However, it looked quite pretty interesting in the start which looked like this.

*Just some close ups*

As time passed by, I decided that I put in a subject for it, a female who is holding an umbrella. However, the subject itself is still unsure at this point.

But it didnt really bothered me that much. So I continued painting it with a little more values just to bring out the subject more.

And so I stopped at this point wondering should it look better in bluish mood or the original mood...

Would be glad that some feedback could push this painting further. Ill continue doing it and update this painting...

The name of this painting I named after the title of Ghost Town, is called ShiRin, the town which nobody is still alive

Comments are welcome and much appreciated!! Thanks!!
ltken84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
ltken84
K^eN

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Update WIP

Decided to take out the female from the composition, as I afraid it slowly changes into a portrait painting soon. And changed the color to sepia feel.

Old 30-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
ltken84
K^eN

Awards Showcase
Update WIP

Decided to go with this

And close ups...

Old 30-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
It's kinda interesting because we need to use our own imagination to find what is it. But I think you could help us even a little more.
I prefer your sepia, but now it's really dark, maybe you chould "add some more light"?

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
ltken84
K^eN

Awards Showcase
Update WIP

~Washka
Thanks for the idea!! I was almost lost when I just keep painting. Thanks a lot for the keyword - "add more light"

So heres another update

And some close ups

Old 30-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
ltken84
K^eN

Awards Showcase
Update WIP

Heres my last update for today

Which other colors looks nice? Any suggestions?

OR

2 more close ups

Will give a final touch to it tomorrow Thanks a lot
Old 30-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Starting to feel da ghost inside, nice evolution. Your adds are working.
Like first and last one, prefer the first blue "water spirit touch", green's got a nice cold atmosphere but I don't like agressive "red spirit touch" on it, like the green center ray of the second one, maybe you could mix both of them?
You could also try to add some more silence zone (with less details), where the eye can rest a bit, and maybe some point of attraction where you want him to go?
Interesting job, keep it up!

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #8
ltken84
K^eN

Awards Showcase
Update WIP

~Washka
Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks for your precious suggestion. And again thanks a lot for the tips - "silence zone". Really grateful to u

Alright, its almost done soon. Ive desaturated the whole piece, with less happenings but enhance on the important points in it. I mixed the red and orange 1 together and so here it is.

2 Close ups

Old 31-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #9
ltken84
K^eN

Awards Showcase
Final Update

My last update and Im going to take a break...I bring u ShiRin The Ghost Town!!

Last close ups

Had a really wonderful experience!! Woo Hoo!! And grateful to WashKa's support