>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 27-10-2008, 01:44 AM   #76
slangford
Mover of Verts

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #9 - 2nd Place 
Total Awards: 2
So here is my final. Thanks to Sathe for his great material!
Attached Images

Last edited by slangford; 27-10-2008 at 01:50 AM..
slangford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 03:12 AM   #77
dPunisher

Jack-o'-Lantern

Hi, My first post here.. or anywhere! Hope u all like this.

U all have really really cool stuff here !!!

thanx for looking.
Attached Images

dPunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 06:21 AM   #78
M3N7H0L5
eatin' ain't cheatin'

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1

hi all!its been awhile for me..
this is my 1st attempt..kid jacko..
1.30 hours on it..
big thanks to Sathe for the mat..
Attached Images

Old 27-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #79
MadComputerUser
Call me Keeghan

Send a message via MSN to MadComputerUser
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
thats cute, nice sculpt.

Deadly Poison Studios

MadComputerUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #80
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Total Awards: 3
wow, you guys are great! am i to understand that you like challenges when they're kept simple like this? or do you equally enjoy more challenging sculpts, such as full characters? i'm just wondering about this as you all seem to have really enjoyed this one, and if we know what you like it will help us to make better challenges in the future

here's your final submissions thread: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=62664

good luck everyone!
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #81
slangford
Mover of Verts

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #9 - 2nd Place 
Well I have participated in a handful of these challenges, and I think the best bet is to stick with more simple challenges. Maybe slightly more difficult than a pumpkin, but not quite a complete bust.
Stick with that area for the most part, as the quicker challenges allow me to have time for some of my own work. But every two or three challenges, raise the stakes and have a more complex challenge with a little better prizes. Maybe even give the challenges a 'level' rating for difficulty?
I would also say that everyone seems to enjoy the challenges that are 'loose'... like the nightmare statue, the egg, and the pirate challenges.
Old 27-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #82
julienN

Lynette-3dt
Personnaly i'm a new comer but i was keeping an eye on your sculpt challenge from some months ago. And now i'm really motivated to participate to the more i can.
I love the halloween theme I think it's my favorite theme, and it's true that making a pumpkin is funny you can have a lot of fun with a simple form.
But personnaly i think i will enjoy some "harder" subject too like the "manimal theme" you did some time ago.
Simple or harder, i think both are cool, the most important for me is the subject himself.

What i love the most in your challenge is the time limit, it motivate me a lot! You have to work really quickly and so let your creation speak, it's cool!
And the other advantage is that it don't take you 2 month to finish it, you take one or more nights and that's it you had fun and feed your creation appetit.

Hope my english is understanding.
And hope my opinion help you.
cheers

Edit: I'm agree with Slangford, but i don't understand your last sentences when you say "challenges that are loose" sorry my english is limited, what does it mean?

Last edited by julienN; 27-10-2008 at 12:57 PM..
julienN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #83
slangford
Mover of Verts

Awards Showcase
JulienN is right, Subject is really the most important factor.

And by 'loose', I mean challenges that are flexible, where you have more options

Last edited by slangford; 27-10-2008 at 01:00 PM..
Old 27-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #84
GMGraham

dPunisher that pumpkin is sick, great idea, I love it!
GMGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #85
julienN

Ok thanks Slangford, and good luck for the challenge your entrie is great.
julienN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #86
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Total Awards: 3
thanks slangford and julienN - your comments have been noted i like the idea of giving them a difficulty rating, but then it may put some people off from having a go - not sure. it's all about the taking part at the end of the day! but yeah, the idea of more open topics are cool, although is that because they're less of a challenge? i guess they allow for more creativity! we'll definitely keep thinking about the prizes; i certainly think the harder challenged require the better prizes - especially because you'll need more incentive to take time out for those ones.

any suggestions for future challenge topics?

by the way, i received the Essential ZBrush books this morning - they look fab!! I'm trying with all my might not to get fingerprints on the lovely, pristine books to keep them all lovely for the winners of this challenge. be sure to submit your work in the Final Submissions thread for your chance to win one of those!

Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #87
eiadahnim

Cool

3dhorus: Thanks for your comment
Your work speaks too.

Good Luck for the rest of you guys
eiadahnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #88
silvaticus

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge No. 10 Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Winning Stylized Challenge! 
I spent 25 minutes on tweaking a material to look pumpkin-ish and I also sculpted the upper part. It`s 2 hours and 20 minutes or so until now so I still have time, maybe I`ll subdivide some parts further and add more details.
Thanks for the appreciation, bgen, siah and Cederstrom.
Attached Images

Last edited by silvaticus; 27-10-2008 at 03:34 PM..
silvaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #89
Longhi

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge  ''After the smoke clears'' The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge ''jack 'o lantern third place'' 
Total Awards: 13
I love it Slangford
3dhorus - yeah man, another brazilian around here, its cool...cheers

So, Another one
2h and 30 minutes till now, but I think this is almost finished
Attached Images

www.glaucolonghi.com
http://www.facebook.com/glaucolonghi

Last edited by Longhi; 27-10-2008 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: sorry guys...wrong image again
Longhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #90
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
2 hrs i think, couldn't be bother to do more.

btw. i have noticed, some people render out there pumpkin or @ least it seems to me that way....
if so i quote rule 6. "No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging – let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt! What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpt you can produce "under pressure". If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognisable and on topic."
Attached Images

Last edited by bgen; 27-10-2008 at 09:42 PM..
bgen is offline   Reply With Quote