>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 03-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #46
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
yeah, the second full mech has more going for it. The worm thing is a good idea, but I'm not sure it fits.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #47
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
Thanks BigToe.
now another question
what category do you guys think this belongs in?
Warmachine : got the armor for it but does it fit in?
Cyborg : I am adding guts galore in his stomach dome thingy does it make it qualify for that?
Scout : hmm.. it could work but scout are supposed to be weak right?
Attached Images

ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #48
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
scout.

they don't have to be weak, just fast looking. So they can get in and out without any one seeing them.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 06-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #49
Fixor

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Looking good! Keep it up Ryvick, 2 days extension!!!!

DWIV - 3D - Fixor - Eckhart
Fixor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #50
miycko
Draw Untill It Hurts!

Location: Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 2
I agree with Big ToE. it would do good s a scout.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:50 AM   #51
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Thanks Fixor yeah really banking on that.
Thanks Big Toe, Okay i will go with the scout mecha then.
here is almost done.
tell me if you guys see something that needs work.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2009, 04:58 AM   #52
miycko
Draw Untill It Hurts!

Location: Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 2
Nice stuff man. Those close-ups actually make him look pretty big. Don't wanna sound indicicieve but now he looks like he could be a war machine.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #53
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Awards Showcase
hahah thanks miycko, now you see my dilemma. I will see what popular votes make it
Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #54
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
if you go war machine, you will need to add some weapons.

For the scout path, what you can do is add items to your base to show scale. Maybe some car tires, or a cat. And have this beast be about the same size, or a bit bigger.

ooohhhhh, and then for your beauty shot, I coud see like 10, 20, or even 100's of these things swarming a hill, or a field.

Grab up the movie Tremors 2. Those little creatures remind me of this little creature.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 06-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #55
Novian
Mentallic Design

Send a message via AIM to Novian
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 3
The details look very nice. It looks alot like a mecho-BullSquid from Half-Life:

Cheers~
Novian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #56
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Awards Showcase
ok scout it is! thanks for that big toe and yes i wanna see a bunch of these guys in a swarm too... I just hope i have enough time to make proper beauty scenes as well ^_^

wow look at that it seems exactly like my mecha. damn i never saw this guy before btw. also yes it reminded me more of tremors2 than this guy.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #57
H2olt

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: George Lucas, 3rd place speed sculpting #14 Celebrity Caricature The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Runner Hybrid, 2nd place speed sculpting #17 Biomechanical Hybrid Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Awesome close up details man. I'm worried that some of the details are a little to subtle to be noticeable in the final version. The treads on the mandibles for example, the look like they could use back angle spikes (like shark teeth) to keep things from escaping it's grip. I really also like the circular blades in the mouth, but they might be more niticeable if they wer at a sharper angle like they came together in more of a triangle than a circle.
Attached Images

H2olt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #58
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Awards Showcase
Thank you very much H2olt. that advice helps a lot. I noticed those issues but i was beign lazy now that you pointed it out, i have to change it hehehe. also i am scared wether i would be able to reflect everything within 10k limit or not. so was thinking flat would work best. but ur right i will go back to it and fix that. i didnt like the too nice blades effect i had going on.

also while at work i came up with a stand design. need advice on what my team thinks.

Edit : as you can see the horns on the right and the hand on the left can depict his size. That is a gate of our enemy he is standing. He broke in with brute force. The gate would have their logo but massacred. example polycount's with the eyes as cross and tongue sticking out (dead) hehehe
Attached Images

Last edited by ryvick; 06-05-2009 at 09:07 PM..
Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #59
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
I like the new scout direction you've gone. That looks pretty cool. Lets see some textures!

I like your pedestal idea, and I'm all for slinging a little mud, but keep in mind you are playing with fire with the logo like that.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #60
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Love your work so far. The detail is outstanding. I love the track in the ..er...mandibles?? Really nice touch.

I would possibly exagerate some of the grooves etc to make sure they turn out on the normal. In many cases you could probably get away with just doing them in photoshop with the XNormal filter if you need to punch them out a bit more.

Look forward to seeing the final.