>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 14-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #31
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Thank you very much! That was by far the nicest comment I ever got anywhere.
But there's still so much to do, so... dunno where to start.
First of all I made the flames turn to the other side... I still don't know which version looks better.
So what do you think... version 1 or 2?
Attached Images

JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #32
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
your render is really a good way, so here's my feelings on the axe in flames, I think you would work just over the end of the flames because they stop too abruptly
and I give a little more volume to the axe even if there are flames, you should feel the volume. I find his face very successful. I will put other lights to give volume to the 3D character, this is my feeling
Old 15-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #33
miycko
Draw Untill It Hurts!

Location: Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge 
the second direction of the flames is working for me.
Old 15-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #34
spartan118
Lookn 4 professional work

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_solo View Post
your render is really a good way, so here's my feelings on the axe in flames, I think you would work just over the end of the flames because they stop too abruptly
and I give a little more volume to the axe even if there are flames, you should feel the volume. I find his face very successful. I will put other lights to give volume to the 3D character, this is my feeling
I agree with chris, The flames do end abruptly, They need to end a little further they do, the body needs some more light though im sure you were already gona take care of that.

Looking good otherwise.

You can help support the project here

CURRENT RIG:
Intel Core i7, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, ATI RADEON 2GB GDDR5.
spartan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #35
JuST

Awards Showcase
Thanks for your opinions on the flames. I will enlarge them soon.
And I'll work on a backlight and front-lighting too, as soon as I finish the boots.

Update...
Worked on the trousers and armor today. It should look as if is was made of leather... but I think I have made it too shiny. I'll correct that later.
Attached Images

Last edited by JuST; 15-04-2009 at 06:06 PM..
Old 16-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #36
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 4
Looking good so far. I am liking the details you have added like the leather armor and the blood from the pull back of a killing blow. Just an idea, you could make where the blood is on the axe smolder and add a small smoke effect.
Old 16-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #37
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
the texture of your armor and straps are really successful, the leather pants don't seem to me appropriate. keep it up!
Old 19-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #38
JuST

Awards Showcase
Darchand: Good idea... I'll try that!
chris_solo: Thanks for the crit... I don't know... what material might fit better in your opinion? I didn't want to make him look like a medieval warrior.

I worked on the background recently. I think I might have overdone it a bit. But decide yourself.
The mast, blood and monsters in the foreground are still very WIP.
Attached Images

Old 20-04-2009, 03:19 AM   #39
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Updates look nice. The mast in the midground seems a little out of place in the composition. It's difficult to tell what it is, and just by the framing seems a little akward. Maybe you could find a better placement for it.

Very action packed though, looking cool.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #40
JuST

Awards Showcase
Thank you Puckducker!
I will work on the mast in the midground.

I had some time to doodle around in blender today. This is my first real attempt to do a sculpt and just a test what my character might look like in 3d.
So I hope you like it.
Attached Images

Old 25-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #41
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
I find your 3D very successful ... why don't you do the competition in 3D? I didn't respond to the pants, so I think you've finally made the right choice
Old 25-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #42
JuST

Awards Showcase
Well, actually my 3d-skills are very elemental... far from beeing good. I do 3d for many years now, but I'm still a noob... maybe because I don't have the time to improve my skills properly... or maybe I'm not talented enough.

Nevertheless... thanks for the compliment and the comment on the pants.

I haven't had much time the last few days. But I made up my mind about the foreground-monsters.
Here's a very rough sketch.

I'll use dark colours and a backlight to gain the effect I want.
Attached Images

Old 25-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #43
miycko
Draw Untill It Hurts!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge 
Fist of all The leather trousers look cool, i especially like the way they reflect the light from the axe. Although the light on his fingers and neck looks a bit odd to me, i think it's too red, maybe you cold make it more yellow.

Thats some awsome armor by the way, the mix of western and medieval comes together really well.
Old 25-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #44
miycko
Draw Untill It Hurts!

Awards Showcase
Oh ya, Open the mouth of that orkish thing on the left so we can see his pearly whites.
Old 25-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #45
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 4
I am liking the way it is looking and I like that you have added something to the left which by the out lines that I see looks very cool. My only crit is the one I had before. The arm does not look like it is in a natural position. I almost looks like the arm ends at the elbow. I would just recommend looking into fixing that area.