>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Armageddon - Dec 2009 > Armageddon - Sculpting "Demonic Overseer"

Old 07-12-2009, 05:20 AM   #31
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
FreekyBevis: Good progress! I see the Zsketch stuff is quite darn fun. Are you still going to do his back wings long and twisted? I loved that part in your concept.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #32
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Freekybevis - I like the sculpt. but I like your concept much more. You're straying rather far from the initial concept. I like him being slim and trim. He has that, I'm kinda already dead feel to him. Very thin arms, boney legs, etc. In your sculpt though I'm pretty sure he's on steroids. Granted, at this point in the game it's probably way too late. Eh, my 2cents.

oh yeah, go with the twisted wings like freespace mentioned

----
I've gotta get cracking...maybe today I'll find time.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #33
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
well have given up with the movie idea for now.. cant seem to get it to upload.. but anyway.. here are some images.. am guessing i have about 6hrs or so left.. not totally sure.. but
Attached Images

Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #34
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Close up on mask so far
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #35
Freekybevis
Black Label.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Freespace-3DT - Thanks man yea i still want to do the wings. they are jst very dirty atm. actually the whole model is dirty atm still got a lot of cleaning. hope time I spend on it carries on going so slowly. zSetching is fun. Although I find its quite tricky. Because I ended up with a whole bunch of detail i didnt ask for, and before i knew it the skulpting crazy had me and my model was covered in boils and pipes and wat not.

goast666 - Thanks for pointing that out ghost. ive spent about 15 minutes working him down a bit. gunna clean that up now. and start adding some of the elements like the cloth and spiny rock things in his arm.

Neil_F01 - nice neil but be careful not too get caught up in tiny details at that stage in the sculpt.

update: got a lot of stuff to sort out, like his chest, and a few other peices.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #36
Jabberwock

Not so much participants for the moment
@Freekybeavis : nice sketch and now nice sculpt; With an other matcap it should look even better.

Personally I have to say that each time I think "ok i have 20 minutes free in front of me, let's begin this challenge", I then think "oh yes it's true I have to deal with this movie recording thing, pff, ok, I will start later"...
In fact, due to family and job constraints I can not spend several hours on my sculpt, I can work sometime 15 minutes, sometimes 30,etc. So even if it's not really a big deal, it's sufficiently painful to stop me...
Now that we have plenty of time, do we really need this 10 hours limit? So we could forget the movie recording step....Moreover mattepainting and game art challenge have no time limit.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #37
polysmooth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My current DWIV entry was linked to the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime Style'' 
Total Awards: 6
Talking Nice Topic!

Hmmm... Sweet topic. Think I might enter this one too (I'm doing the game art as well this time because it has no time limit, ten hours is short!)

Freekybevis- This is looking good.The proportions are slightly off from the concept but it still works for me. I think it will be important to work the sculpt up from the zsketch stage so there can be interesting transitions between fleshy/non-fleshy areas.

Neil_F01- I see u have an original basemesh going and that's good. I would try to look at the proportions while in your zsphere stage because resizing and such are so easy in this stage. I see you started detailing the mask but the main figure's proportions haven't been addressed. With the mask...try grabbing some reference material. I know it can be a pain sometimes but will definitely add believable detail in your final sculpt... Just my thoughts anyway.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #38
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by polysmooth View Post
Neil_F01- I see u have an original basemesh going and that's good. I would try to look at the proportions while in your zsphere stage because resizing and such are so easy in this stage. I see you started detailing the mask but the main figure's proportions haven't been addressed. With the mask...try grabbing some reference material. I know it can be a pain sometimes but will definitely add believable detail in your final sculpt... Just my thoughts anyway.
Yeah thanks, i have looked around for some kind of mask and i see what your saying about preportions. unfortuantly for me i have already converted it to polymesh.. so cant just plomp backwards and forwards between the spheres and mesh..

but considering i probably only have something like 5 hrs left or so.. i really dont think it matters.. as i doubt i will get this done.. well at least not to a cool standard.. but i am planning on taking part more regularly in these comps so i can get quicker at my scuplts
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #39
Freekybevis
Black Label.

Awards Showcase
My pc crashed and i lost the hand sculpting video part >.<

Jabberwock : ty

polysmooth - yea they are off a bit. I didnt concentrate too much on workign from the concept because i was sure i could pull it off in 10 hours. thanks btw , and im not sure what you mean about working the sculpt up from the zsketch stage ? zpheres -> sketch -> skin ->convert to mesh and sculpt ?

neil : digging the pant

Update: Changed some more stuffs. finished some peices off. etc. think im gunna finish the wings, then do one more pass and then start one of the other comps too

edit : jst realized this pic is huge. sozo
Attached Images

Last edited by Freekybevis; 07-12-2009 at 04:31 PM..
Freekybevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #40
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
Not so much participants for the moment
@Freekybeavis : nice sketch and now nice sculpt; With an other matcap it should look even better.

Personally I have to say that each time I think "ok i have 20 minutes free in front of me, let's begin this challenge", I then think "oh yes it's true I have to deal with this movie recording thing, pff, ok, I will start later"...
In fact, due to family and job constraints I can not spend several hours on my sculpt, I can work sometime 15 minutes, sometimes 30,etc. So even if it's not really a big deal, it's sufficiently painful to stop me...
Now that we have plenty of time, do we really need this 10 hours limit? So we could forget the movie recording step....Moreover mattepainting and game art challenge have no time limit.
The recording is something we're trying out to see how the public reacts to it. So far the public has reacted fine, with some exceptions. It's not mandatory and it might get removed altogether depending on input during this challenge.

As for the timelimit, I'm still tweaking everything as each challenge goes by, to get to that perfect sweet spot where everything is good. The rules and conduct we have now are much better than how we started out twenty challenges ago, I'd say. I'll take all this into consideration for January.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #41
Freekybevis
Black Label.

Awards Showcase
Personally I find the recording exciting and awesome. it will help other people to find flaws in youre workflow which arent apparent in normal screengrabs if people who are taking the recordings have time to do a bit of editing. it also makes for nice portfolio stuffs. It will also obviously stop people from spending a gazzillion hours on something and say theyve only spent 10. i would also love to watch other peoples videos, to steal their knowledge and workflows it would be kewl to have a big user generated recording database for tutorials and hints and tips. obviously moderated by people who know what they doing.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #42
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Awards Showcase
[QUOTE=Freekybevis;754480]

neil : digging the pant

[QUOTE]

Cheers.. your model is looking awesome.. btw
Old 07-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #43
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
The recording is something we're trying out to see how the public reacts to it. So far the public has reacted fine, with some exceptions. It's not mandatory and it might get removed altogether depending on input during this challenge.

As for the timelimit, I'm still tweaking everything as each challenge goes by, to get to that perfect sweet spot where everything is good. The rules and conduct we have now are much better than how we started out twenty challenges ago, I'd say. I'll take all this into consideration for January.
Keep it!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #44
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by goast666 View Post
Keep it!
Which one?

Old 07-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #45
DELTATHUND3R

Im getting lost on the new forums I just found this challenge lol.
Hopefully i get some time too get into this one.
DELTATHUND3R is offline   Reply With Quote