>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 19-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Megabiv
Games Design Student

Help with a research project - Concept art for a game character

Hi all im new here and im currently in my final year doing a Games design Course at University. As such i have a research dissertation to complete and a part of this covers research into how a character has been made for a game. Now i can find plenty of documentation on the actual 3D workflows once a character concept has been made but its the process or workflow involved in the creation of the concept art that im in need of help with. So if any one can help shed light on this process or indeed any links to reputable sources such as art/scientific papers or even just to fellow artists that have documented it i would be eternally grateful.

Now just to clarify im looking towards information regarding the start of creating a game character concept. Such as how it refers to game documentation and the like. Thanks again.
Megabiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
McKronic
Lighter/Compositor

Send a message via MSN to McKronic
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the Low-Poly Challenge #28B - Vehicle 
Total Awards: 3
I would have to say it varies depending on who your working for or who your client is. Some people are given full freedom on the design process others have tight guidelines that they must adhere to. Concepts can also go through many revisions and despite what the artist thinks they need to be made to keep the higher up's in the company/client happy. This is usually why most artists try to put aside some free time to do their own personal work since their creativity and personal tastes are cut off at the knee's in the work place.

2009 Demo on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QaxYcy6VBI
McKronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Megabiv
Games Design Student

Thanks for the reply. Some enlightening information, but really what im after is sort of like how its made. I assume that the character has already been made during the documentation process and then the artist is given a check list of sorts to then create a piece from. Simply im after (if it exists) a work flow, similar to how a character is modelled:

Low poly > High poly (Zbrush or Mudbox)> Low poly game model > Un wrap & textures

Hopefully that helps clarify.
Megabiv is offline   Reply With Quote