>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Digital Painting

Old 13-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Claw

Claw - Ghost Town

Hi,

Normally take part in the matte painting challenge, but this morning i scribbled out this sketch and thought it fitted this theme nicely, see what you think. I might paint it up a bit for this challenge. oh and a quick question is it alright to use photo reference for textures and things or does it all have to be hand painted.

Thanks

Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Arteyo

that looks good for a start.. as for using photos for textures and other things...

not too sure. im not using any of that in my painting for this contest.
I really think those are used only for matte paintings.
Arteyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Claw

Hey Arteyo, thanks for the info, I was thinking of the styles of artists like Andree Wallin, John Wallin, James Clyne to name just a few.

www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/455/Historical-Set-Design-with-James-Clyne the is a small video on this page which is kind of the style i was thinking of, check it out if you have time.

Thanks
Old 17-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #4
CHAO5

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 
Total Awards: 5
good start.... good on you, keep it up!
Old 17-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
dark-blast
Headbangers

Hi nice start! I like the perspective and lighting are good! keep update
http://dark-blast.deviantart.com
dark-blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Dude; thanks for that Gnomon link, firstly

Secondly, I really like how your piece is coming along. It really does fit this theme nicely. It's got some real character; the atmosphere is spot on. The color choices, the hazy lighting - it's a ghost town if I've ever seen one!

Hope you keep it up. I'd love to see a final version, y'know, if the matte challenge doesn't lure you away

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Claw

Thanks for the comments. pushed for time this month but Im going to prioritize this over the matte painting. so will hopefully finish in time.
Old 30-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Claw

Final image, not had a lot of time to work on it. happy with some bits, not so happy with others. learnt a lot.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Akim

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge The Coming of Ice Challenge: Polar Colony Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge  
Total Awards: 2
I like it! When I look there thought the broken windows on the street, I feel something strange ) Very atmospheric work!
Akim is offline   Reply With Quote