>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > BlizzardFest Challenge

Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Korax

Blizzardfest 2014 | 3D | Korax - Ancient Naga Hero

Entry :

Last edited by Korax; 30-09-2014 at 04:31 PM..
Korax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Korax

Edit with last update and background :

-
Hey guys, I decided to join the 3D total army for this challenge, with a male naga hero, add below some pics and a little background :
-
Kumon'Tah, The Ancient Exiled

Kumon'Tah hates Azshara for what she has done to the Highborne people, he would have preferred death to the transformation in these snake-looking monsters,
also the mocking fate gave him the gift of immortality and the energies of the Maelstrom changed his body in an extreme way.
Unwilling to comply with the matriarchal laws of the naga people and hating Azshara he was exiled, but not being able to die he wanders through the abyss, armed
of what the ocean gives him, hunting down old enemies of his race and punishing those who dare to disturb him.
-
So, here the sketch and some ref images, I'll use alot of shell, fish and crab shape, I want give him a primordial and ancient look.
Usually I use PS only for texture so sry for this crap concept, I'll add moar and MOOOOAR stuff on the road with 3D

and here start head from a sphere and add blockout of crest and tentacles with some different techniques :

C&C are very welcome, I'm looking for any ideas for the weapon and the armor pieces ^^

Last edited by Korax; 09-09-2014 at 05:10 PM..
Old 01-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
looking good already!

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Berry3D

Loving this **** : D

My only suggestion to this is some work on the weapon. I personally am not completely sold on the design. I just feel like he seems more like a semi-heavy sword guy due to his left arm being a claw.

Not to say he can't grab a weapon with it, but a claw will do damage to the weapon, so he most likely don't want to use it as a weapon arm. Also, using a pole arm in a single hand seems very clunky, so I'd go for some blade that may be a 2-handed, but this guy wields it like a 1-hand. Something like a 1.5H sword.

As far as inspiratin for swords go I'll leavy that one to you. Although after some quick googling I found

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...tolraid_02.jpg

Although this is all completely up to you. Just keep in mind that you are thus far my favoite guy from team 3D-Total. So go hard!
Berry3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
independhans

Excellent Presentation of progress. You are my Hero
independhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Korax

Hey guys sry for the delay with update, the holidays have caught me but now I'm free ...

@RogerP Thanks man, I follow your bad unicorn and love it
@Berry You have TOTALLY right ! The favored weapon of Naga are trident and sword like scimitar so I'll search for a nice sword design, ofc if you have other nice ref images leave them here thanks
@Independhans LOL thanks, usually I don't spam WIP image, I prefer big update, but if you want more wip ask me np

So, for this update i work with main shape of upper body, rework the face ( and play with Layers for a real close/open jaws ) and add the big bad claw, as soon as possible i'll continue with lower body and detail the face before start to model ALOOOOT of shell and gadget

Thanks for feedback and As always C&C are really welcome

Edit: Image is too big we're lazy to scroll, now is ok ^^

Last edited by Korax; 19-08-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Old 22-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
Korax

Up with lower body and alot of scale

I create and modify some IMM curve for the scale of the body.
In the next step I'll refine all the bone spikes and scale, create some alpha for the crests and finish the big bad claw and skin part.

ah... look for ideas for a sword with a primordial look ( composed of bones, rocks, coral... ) and ofc C&C are welcome
Old 22-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
RHedendahl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating the topology resource thread! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 3
Looks good man, but it needs more feeling of weight. Keep it up.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
Korax

Hey guys I'm back with some update,add a rock mace/sword and alot of detail, I'm close to finish the sculpt, I'll add more shell and coral shape on the body and finish crest part, after I'll try to do retopology with ZRemesher + guides, UV and polypaint ! ( Yes, I need to run )

@Rhedendahi: thanks for feedback, when I'ill pose the character definitely add the weight of old age and muscle mass.

So here a full & closeup of Kumon'tah :

For the scale I modify a IMM from BadKing site, with "mesh from brush" I quickly adjusted the mesh and polygroup each scale, so now I can use "move + mask by polygroups" set to 100 to easily move each line of scales, or use move topological to move a single scale and add variation:

C&C are welcome, hope the next update have the lowpoly version

Last edited by Korax; 09-09-2014 at 05:13 PM..
Old 27-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Korax

Ok, there are only 4 days, help !
I don't post anything about retopology because it's pretty simple and not funny, manual retopology ( with topogun ) for the part that need to move, and decimation master+UVmaster for the static pieces. I think is more interesting the pose & the setup of the scene for the beauty shot, so here a WIP shoot :

Now I need to run for the beauty and other shoot for the entry, see u soon !
Old 30-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Korax

Hey Guys it's time to upload the final shot, hope you enjoy !

and the other shot :

yeah
Old 02-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
Korax

I haven't spoken about the weapon of the model, so now I upload a short video about the creative process behind the sword,
a simple speed sculpt from a sphere to a sword, hope u enjoy :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Lj-sH4SUQ