>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > BlizzardFest Challenge

Old 30-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Br41n

Blizzardfest - 3D - Tauren Warrior

My first post on these forums and I'm glad to be supporting 3DTotal for the Blizzfest challenge!

I played Wow from the very beginning with a Tauren Warrior, so now I will be making my own. I'll be doing it step-by-step, starting with a base-mesh and then adding gear etc.

Good luck to all entries!

Last edited by Br41n; 30-07-2014 at 12:00 PM..
Br41n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Sophiekhara

Good luck!
Sophiekhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Br41n

roughing out the basic form...

Last edited by Br41n; 31-07-2014 at 09:23 AM..
Old 31-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Br41n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiekhara View Post
Good luck!
Thanks
Old 31-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
Br41n

Old 31-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Br41n

Old 31-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
independhans

Like the Clean Surface, what Tools do you use for Blocking & Polish surface?
independhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Br41n

Quote:
Originally Posted by independhans View Post
Like the Clean Surface, what Tools do you use for Blocking & Polish surface?
Clay Buildup and Smooth, occasionally Pinch.

I constantly change the camera angle to make sure the form is right but a good shader helps, as does reference!
GreatBr41n! Thank you:
independhans (31-07-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
Br41n

Old 05-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
Br41n

I have a living story for the Tauren Warrior I am creating. It contains sections with blood/gore but nothing of a sexual nature:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Hope you like it

Yarik Ragetotem
aka Runningaxe

ACT 1

A warm wind blows across the grassy plains, sliding over the shiny steel of a blacksmiths hammer raised high in the air, as it suddenly comes crashing down with an almighty clang!

Yarik the smith had finally finished crafting his finest weapon, an axe which he named Yarla, for his mother Yarla Stonehoof whom had taught him the ways of the blacksmith. Being a relatively peaceful Tauren, Yarik always took more after his mother than his father, a grand warrior of the Ragetotem tribe. Still a talented blacksmith in his own rite, Yarik was usually content to craft the armour for others to wear rather than adorn it himself, but as time moved on, his fathers warrior spirit also burned deep within him and one fateful day his head and his hands disagreed.

“What have I done?” Yarik thought to himself as he lifted his creation up to the sky. It glistened with a kind of purity rarely seen among amateure weaponsmiths. Others had been stunned by it’s magnificence, and that evening he placed it proudly above the mantelpiece in his hut, a trophy and testament to the undeniable skill he possessed.

ACT 2

That night as Yarik slept soundly, the silver light of mu’sha flooded the plains around his hut and all was peaceful and quiet. When suddenly a crash and the sound of muffled screams pierced the serenity. Yarik awoke immediately, sitting bolt upright in his straw laden bed. Rising, he lept over to a nearby window and peered out into the night. Squinting against the moonlight he could see about 20 yards in front of his hut a large dark shape, dragging behind it a burlap sack that wriggled and kicked.

Yarik’s mind raced... tales of young tauren being kidnapped by Centaur were not far and few between, but conscious thoughts were fleeting as a darker, more powerful thought began to creep across him. Almost without thinking Yarik got up and dashed towards the centaur with fists clenched.

Just as he reached the centaur it turned and a massive hammer smashed him across the face. Everything went black for Yarik and his head collided with the ground. He was out cold for mere seconds before the adrenaline kicked in and he jolted up onto his knee. Looking around the centaur was nowhere to be seen. Thankfully, it was still night and as such mu’sha illuminated the ground around his hut which had track marks that trailed off into the distance, barely visible but good enough for any Tauren.

Despite his dizziness from being stunned by the hammer Yarik crashed back into his hut and began strapping on pieces of armour and anything else he could, forged in previous days from a tempered past. Now fully laden, he headed for the door of his hut, stopped for a second and gazed into space. Sharply he shook his head, turned and walked up to the fireplace where the prized axe lay. Lifting it from it’s gray ashenvale wall mount brought new strength to his body and his eyes burned with anger. He grunted as he left the hut and took off running across the plains following the centaur tracks.

ACT 3

As he left Mulgore and entered the barrens his unhindered strides allowed him to catch up with the centaur easily. Charging over to it he let out a massive battle shout, the centaur stopped and turned just as Yarik's axe came slicing down onto the outstretched arm holding the sack. Metal hit flesh and the arm was severed at the joint. Blood sprayed across the ground as the centaur screamed… then another swipe and the head came rolling off entirely. A fountain of blood erupted from where it once stood, sending the head bouncing across the ground, it rolled and bounced again before coming to a stop under a cracked grey hoof. Peering over, Yarik realised that the hoof belonged to a large, ugly and very angry looking Centaur appropriately named Galak Kodobane for his habit of chasing Kodos across the barrens.

Galak and the rest of his raiding party circled Yarik, readying their nets and rearing up to attack. Yarik’s warrior instincts and honed smith muscles took over and he lifted his axe high into the air as he let forth the bloodrage… Chopping, lunging and striking, every swipe of the axe seemed to hit something and everything went red as the screams echoed across the plains and eventually died out. Afterward, every single centaur had been slaughtered. Even Galak - with his mighty frame had succumbed to the superiority of Yarik's axe. Yarik stood there, brandishing the axe and breathing heavily amongst an almost perfect circle of crimson that spiraled out in all directions with an ancestral nature.

The silver light of mu’sha had all but disappeared but no darkness seemed to engulf the land. Instead a different light had begun to shine. This time it was coming from the axe. Yarik lifted it up to his face to get a better look, but as he did so he noticed something in it’s shiny smooth surface. Yarik could see his own reflection and his eyes too glowed with the same silver light.

The full realisation of what happened passed over him just as An’she began to cast it’s first golden rays, a new hero had been born that night.

Last edited by Br41n; 12-08-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Old 05-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
Br41n

Just a quick update, I added eyes, ears and refined some of the muscle groups on the forearm and back. I am debating whether or not to do the armour next, or to focus on creating a higher level of detail for the base mesh.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
I think the muscles are a bit squareish still try to round them off a little more before going into the detailing.

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatRogerP! Thank you:
Br41n (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
Br41n

Working on the anatomy, trying to bridge the gap between human muscle groups and a Tauren.
Old 28-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
Br41n

Hey all,

I've been a bit lax posting updates so here is a few at once. Firstly I created the concept for the gear. It's rough but should work for my purposes:

Next up for some reason I decided it was a good idea to start polypainting, a bit too soon evidently but the results are kinda cool; so I'll post them anyway:

Finally, back to the grinder with some subtools (note the horns, teeth and nose ring):

Thanks for viewing and please don't forget to comment or leave me feedback
Old 29-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #15
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Not bad, not bad at all. I think the polypaint shows a lot of promise for where you're headed with this. Speaking of heads tho, I think you might want to look at the size and placement of his head again. You've made it quite large, and it seems to be a lot lower on his body than it should be.

Looking at your reference image from your first post, the top of his head is slightly above the horizontal line of his shoulders, in your polypaint image, his head is pretty much smack in the middle of his chest, and the top of his forehead is nearly below his collarbones, and quite far below the horizontal of his shoulders.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatWarlock 279! Thank you:
Br41n (29-08-2014)