>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > BlizzardFest Challenge

Old 17-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Total Awards: 2
mwrede - BlizzardFest - 2D - Barbarian Ullfár Grondheimrson

Hi guys,

I know it's quite late to participate but my wife kicked my a** and forced me to use this nice opportunity. Anyways, I'll try to finish it in the amount of time left.

FINAL

It really was a pleasure to kinda "built" this guy! I learned a lot and I hope for more cool challenges in the future! There're still tons of improvements to make but I think a made one small step forward. Anyways, good luck everyone...see ya next time

Last edited by mwrede; 30-09-2014 at 05:20 PM..
mwrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Fan Art Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
A barbarian, no, THE barbarian, is my subject: Ulfár Grondheimrson, the ferocious bear slayer! He's a fearless warrior, the last of his tribe, and he comes from the farthest shores of the cold north to hunt for precious treasures and to battle anyone who's worth it. Some say that his strength and anger appear somehow orkish - have there been orks in his bloodline long time ago?

Okay, the first pic shows some ideas I had for this character: he shall be in his best years and a strong leader, red haired and bearded. Furthermore he lost one eye in a battle with two huge bears and he naturally has some bearish artefacts like a painted skull on his helmet. Black irony plates, claws and horns everywhere, black fur and tattoos will complete his appearance. Finally he has got a war hammer as his primary weapon - maybe a conjunction of hammer and mace. By the way, the frontside of this hammer is showing the logo of 3dtotal.

The thumbnails on the second page help me to get my vision right. Which one do you prefer?

Fine, let's get ready to rumble! Good luck everyone!

p.s. Is the extension to 1st of october officially confirmed? I can't see any hints on Blizzard's page...?

Last edited by mwrede; 17-09-2014 at 06:30 PM..
Old 17-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Send a message via MSN to tsabszy
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
http://www.gameartisans.org/festchal...p#!prettyPhoto

check this page here (magenta colored banner saying "CHALLANGE EXTENDED TO OCTOBER 1ST" plus at the very top of the site)

(the contest has not too much to do with Blizzard itself, it is a Gameartisans challange to respect our love to Blizzard arts in general so look for any news about the contest on Gameartisans.org )
tsabszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Greattsabszy! Thank you:
mwrede (18-09-2014)
Old 20-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Update:

Old 21-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Update:

Old 21-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Born8th

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Total Awards: 3
Nice sketch!
Can't wait to see more!
Born8th is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatBorn8th! Thank you:
mwrede (22-09-2014)
Old 24-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Update:

Last edited by mwrede; 26-09-2014 at 04:18 PM..
Old 30-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Some steps in progress:

Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Born8th

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Avengers Mash Up 
Total Awards: 3
Great job!
The snow rendering gives a good sense of depth.
The fur on the character is also very convincing.

Good luck!
Born8th is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatBorn8th! Thank you:
mwrede (03-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 02:08 AM   #10
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
how did I miss this one?

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatBiG ToE-3DT! Thank you:
mwrede (03-10-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
mwrede

Awards Showcase
Thank you guys!

@Born8th: that was exactly what I thought - the snow makes it more vivid and "3D". I like to use techniques from photography like Vignettes, DOF etc to achieve such effects.

@BiG ToE-3DT: good question... ;o)

As I said this challenge helped a lot to improve my skills - I'm waiting for more cool battles to come!

The competitors have some really badass artists but we have some pretty convincing fighters as well!

Long story short: voting is open: all the best for us! Hail to 3dtotal warriors