>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Final Entries, Voting & Winners

Old 16-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #16
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
congrats to the winners!!
and I'm happy to see Growl in the first place to the challenge game!! very nice work!!
Old 16-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
czacen

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: 100 posts Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 03 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 3
My thanks to all the judges and to 3D total for these excellent challenges. Congratulations to all who took part, it was an excellent competition all around.

Machine Blog
czacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #18
JAPO

Send a message via ICQ to JAPO
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge!  
Total Awards: 2
Congratulations to all winners and everyone who built a mechanical turtle for the troubled times when the smoke cleared
JAPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
Rsantiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dront View Post
Disappointed!

But no point in whining there are new challanges to be had. Congratulations to all the winners.
If the members in this forum don't state their honest opinion, then these kinda thing would just continue on an on and moderators, judges, and voters would just overlook the rules of the contest. Yes in some degree it might be called whining but calling it that would just cause people to not comment on what they really think of the entries.

Put yourself in their position, the top 3's of any competition. If you came in 2nd and followed the rules, but first place winner didn't? How would you feel about it? Hurray for 2nd place I guess... then your just selling yourself short.

Moderators and artist in this forum always try to find ways to make these competition better and fair for everyone, well here's something that needs fixing.

Last edited by Rsantiago; 16-02-2010 at 08:04 PM..
Rsantiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #20
Jaxko

congratz everyone good job, I should of spent the last 15 days updating my entry.. ah well.
Jaxko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #21
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsantiago View Post
"7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it, along with your screenshot of the base meshes used ( see rule 5 ). It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labeling etc., but do not add any post-production to the images themselves. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "Manage Attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external image files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified."

I dunno about the first place winner of the sculpting challenge. I mean technically, a Depth of Field post effect was added to the raw image. It may not be a big deal, but it does enhance an image. That's why artist do it for a reason. Don't get me wrong it is a great sculpt, but when an entry wins even though it didn't follow the rules of the competition just make me wonder what can future entries get away with. I believe it should be regulated even its something small. I did not enter any of the competition but I did enjoy observing everyone's progress, specially in the game art challenge.

If the members in this forum don't state their honest opinion, then these kinda thing would just continue on an on and moderators, judges, and voters would just overlook the rules of the contest. Yes in some degree it might be called whining but calling it that would just cause people to not comment on what they really think of the entries.

Put yourself in their position, the top 3's of any competition. If you came in 2nd and followed the rules, but first place winner didn't? How would you feel about it? Hurray for 2nd place I guess... then your just selling yourself short.

Moderators and artist in this forum always try to find ways to make these competition better and fair for everyone, well here's something that needs fixing.
The DoF had no impact on our decision to select the winner of the challenge. As always, the winners all deserve to be there strictly through their amazing work. ( this applies to all the challenge streams; such talent hasn't been displayed since Dominance War ) And if someone didn't make the top 5 this time, the challenges are first and foremost for FUN and LEARNING. At least that's how I feel about it. I'm sorry to hear you think the judging needs fixing, right after a little riot where everyone wanted moderators to do the judging instead of the public.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
silvaticus

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge No. 10 Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Winning Stylized Challenge! 
"The DoF had no impact on our decision to select the winner of the challenge."

Right, the post work and the composition did.

FUN, LEARNING + RULES (rules made by 3DT, by the way)
silvaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #23
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Total Awards: 5
Great to hear how happy everyone is, as for the crits on the judgeing, they are fair points and well made and we will keep them in mind for next time, so prob no need to mention these issues any more.

Well done again to the winners and here's to the success of the ice challenges!

Tom
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #24
zipel

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Good job everyone!
zipel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #25
Rsantiago

"The DoF had no impact on our decision to select the winner of the challenge..."

Why bother stating rules about post-production if its not even being considered on the submissions? I do not contest that the top 3 are great entries, they are. It's just majority really followed the rules, as they should.

"I'm sorry to hear you think the judging needs fixing"

It's fine how the voting system is, I'm not against that. Like I said before, it's more about following the rules of the competition and keeping them in mind while voting/judging.
Rsantiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #26
szaszgbr

Congrats to all winners!
szaszgbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #27
rofiqalfata
five years old boy...

Send a message via MSN to rofiqalfata
Awards Showcase
Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: I've won a 3DTotal alien t-shirt! photo. Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in The Lost Jungle matte painting challenge Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge ''a new beginning challenge'' 
Total Awards: 3
congrats to everyone who finished their entries...! good job!
rofiqalfata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 02:15 AM   #28
mastein

Send a message via MSN to mastein
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The Almighty Thor has been plugged to the top bar! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My Show Time sculpt has been plugged on toprow. The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place on Abominable Snowman sculpting challange! 
Total Awards: 17
Well, before i say something , congratulations to all the winners and to everyone who have finished the challange.
Thank you for the canceled votes and thx to the 3DT judges for the kind words.

Now, about my entry:
I Think you guys really got a point. I Did a few color adjustments and DOF ( Alpha grab from ZB) on post-production. BUT i did not altered my model or made it look better then it really is in anyway. I think the "no post-production" of the rules means that you can´t adjust your model with overpaints or photo blends. But a few color adjustments to make your entry more presentable is pretty normal.
And about the judging, i dont think the 3DT team choose the winners looking their final entry. They judge the process of your model the whole month! closes, construcion shots and the wip shots... The final entry is just...the final entry!
I dont think this is something to worry about or generate any discussion.
After all, we´re here to have some fun and not some stress
Sorry if i bother someone of the participants or 3Dt team. It was never my intenttion.

Cheers
mastein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #29
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
gz to all that participated!
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #30
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
Congrats to all the winners and participants, many many amazing works, and truly hard to chose between them. Hope that this challenges will get bigger and bigger and let's have fun.
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote