>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 24-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #31
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 4
Well I am thinking I will just do a normal render instead of worrying about the realtime render for now. The character itself does look great in real time however. Later I should have a pic of the weapon up. Thank you all for helping me decide which way to go with the weapon

I just though I would post a pic of where the model was when I was just doing a conceptualizing. If anything else it ought to give you a good laugh.
Attached Images

Old 24-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #32
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
I like the chain-idea! I hope someone can help you with your alpha-problem (I'm not versed in stuff like that).
For the textures... they are lighter now, but the contrast is still too much. It is ok to have black parts, where the color of the skin is black. But try to use a different colour for the shadow-areas, where the skin is not black.
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #33
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Thanks JuST. I have worked with the black parts even though you can't tell this render (old texture).

No for the most part I have feeling that some if not a good majority are thinking this is a piece of ****. They may or may not be right but I don't give a damn to tell the truth. Anyways here is the weapon. Not great but I don't have much time and I am ready to be done.
Attached Images

Old 26-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #34
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Not bad dude. I think that's made for a pretty cool weapon, if I don't say so myself. I think your colors on the textures are working pretty good. I like the range of blues you've got in there.

Would you mind posting a decent size [like the size you have in this post] front and back, wireframe shot. See if some of the fresh eyes on the boards here can't find anywhere for you to free up some extra triangles. Maybe enough to either get that chain modeled, or at the very least to extend it some more, so you can make it really dynamic and flowing in your final shots.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #35
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Thanks Warlock.

I did find plenty of geometry that wasn't needed and I have already refined it quite a bit. The actual character is only 7,226 triangles and the weapon is 2,736 triangles because I did go ahead and get those chains modeled out.

Here are a couple of pictures. The shaded is real time this time which makes me happy

Name:  realtime1.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  wires2.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  158.4 KB
Old 26-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #36
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Ah, yeah...that's looking pretty clean now. Could still, if you wanted, clean up the back of the head a bit, I don't think you need as much geometry in the biceps as you have, and that axe hand is looking a little heavy. But you've got the chain modeled proper now, and that's the biggest thing I was hoping for. so looks good to me.

* Lightwave * User
Old 26-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #37
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Not bad, I like how the weapon turned out.

Also never underestimate just setting up some lights, and then taking a screen cap from your render viewport. You get a little ailising, yeah...but to be perfectly honest, when you're working low poly stuff, a little ailising in the final image isn't a bad thing as it only helps show off that your model really is a low poly realtime model.

It's like looking at an amazing model, and then spotting that one little corner that there wasn't enough polys to smooth out. It's a small flaw, yeah, but it just makes things more impressive because now you know that was all realtime.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #38
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Warlock I am glad you approve. Only problem with the chains really is it is just one more thing to rig, Whoopy! I am glad you are liking it Puckducker. For the most part I am done with the geometry.

I have cleaned up the hands and a few other places like the legs and who knows where else. I bought myself enough triangles to revise the face some and put in the eyes in geometrical detail. Also I was able to add a shoulder pad.

But in doing so I revised more of the upper torso than I intended and I am not completely sold on the new version so I though I would ask what you guys think. I would really appreciate the feedback.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #39
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Uhm... well... I like parts of both versions...
For example the stomach of version 2 works much better for me.
I can't decide which of the heads I like better... They're both nice.
The texture of version 1 looks more like real "skin", but the thing between his legs looks better in version 2.
I hope this rather confusing post helps somehow?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #40
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Awards Showcase
Chains are easy to rig, its just a string of bones in a straight line.

I'm liking the face off version 2 a lot more, and the geometry is pretty nice and clean now in that area as well. I'm kinda liking the arms in version 2 more as well.

I think if you do some more work on the abdomen of version 2 I think it'll look better. Try to work in some of the face/armor elements you had on the torso of version 1 back into version 2 and you'll be set.

* Lightwave * User
Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #41
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuST View Post
Uhm... well... I like parts of both versions...
For example the stomach of version 2 works much better for me.
I can't decide which of the heads I like better... They're both nice.
The texture of version 1 looks more like real "skin", but the thing between his legs looks better in version 2.
I hope this rather confusing post helps somehow?

Thanks and yes some what confusing but I have the same thoughts as you do on the whole thing. I would love to add a little more geometry (with out consequences) but now with the shoulder pad I am pretty much sol. Or is that sot ($h!t out of triangles)?

Anyways I played a little and V2 is looking a bit better now.
Attached Images

Last edited by Darchand; 01-05-2009 at 11:01 PM..
Darchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #42
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Just a question but when you do the screen grab why does it look so nice and crisp in max in the grabbed version but when you uploaded it it looks duller?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #43
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Awards Showcase
...because the screen grab isn't a jpg. When you save your image to upload, make sure its less than 195kb...or the forum resizes it for you, and pretty much destroys the image. You can also try using the 1x1x1 compression method, it usually keeps things a little crisper, but at the cost of a larger file size.

Yeah, your textures a starting to look better now on version 2, I think you keep moving forward with that one for sure.

* Lightwave * User
Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 AM   #44
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Thanks Warlock that helped hopefully I will get the best results I can get when submitting.

In any case I think the big part of this character really isn't his physical presence at all. No instead I think it is his mental presence that is the most frightening part of him. I kinda wish I got some feed back from those who read the story I posted that will probably go into the entry.

P.S.

If anyone bothers looking for the story it is on page 1 post number 12, Enjoy

Last edited by Darchand; 02-05-2009 at 04:14 AM..
Darchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #45
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Time to pose for the camera!
Attached Images