>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > The All New Speed Modelling Challenges

Old 25-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #16
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
loving these crazy creative entries
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #17
sarN

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #96 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place is SMC #36 
I'm not sure if this even counts, but I decided to just model my favorite piece instead of a full chess set. After watching tangled & brave recently, I really wanted to model a horse. Also not sure if it's allowed, but I drew up a concept last night after seeing the challenge, and used it to help modeling today.

Garner has my favorite entry so far, such a cool design!

After looking at the relatively simple wireframe now, I'm wondering how I spent the full 2 hours on it, but I was going full speed ahead the whole time. Then I spent a while figuring out how the simple v-ray fur works and messing around in photoshop. Either way, it was a fun challenge and I'm trying to work on things to make a portfolio, as working in finance is b-o-r-i-n-g.
Attached Images

sarN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #18
dantrodgers

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
haha, this is quality sarN, really like this mate!
Old 28-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #19
Garner
modonuaght

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
sarN, that is awsome, probably the best knight I have ever seen its really well executed and very clean modelling. you should consider the rest of the Tangled chess set? and maybe make it as a personal project.

in terms of my entry... hands up... not my design found it on google )
Garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
Hahah, we are seeing all sorts of crazy entries this time, I love it sarN!
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 05:12 AM   #21
sarN

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #96 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place is SMC #36 
Thanks guys, glad you like it! It was definitely fun to model. I should have put the text on the clay render though, as the vray hair was just for the beauty shot since it took me a while to figure out. Garner, not sure if I have the dedication to attempt to model all of the tangled characters (this wasn't supposed to be an exact copy of Maximus or anything) but I do like the idea of making a whole slew of fleshed out characters for chess pieces as a portfolio piece! And hey, even though it's not your design it's still well modeled!
sarN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #22
marcobar

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place In SMC #92 
Total Awards: 2
Wicked challenge, everyone!

After searching through various chess pieces on Google, I found a DIY guide for making pieces out of nuts and bolts, and decided to give it a shot in 3d. I liked the idea of a couple of bored maintenance workers cobbling together a set out of the bits and pieces they had lying around. The repeated shapes across each piece made it a bit easier on me, in the end. The milk crate base was a spur-of-the-moment decision: I wanted to see if I could whip one up inside the 25 minutes I had left. Turns out it wasn't that crazy, after all!

Don't have a lot of time at the moment to beautify it, but hopefully I'll be able to update it when I do. I'd like to expand it into a nicer portfolio piece at some point:

EDIT: I just bought the new version of Marmoset Toolbag, and have been itching to try it out on a scene. Decided to spend some time jazzing this one up for the portfolio. I'm not quite finished with it yet, but I felt it was nice enough at this stage to include as the SMC beauty render:

Last edited by marcobar; 30-04-2014 at 10:00 PM..
marcobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #23
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
Really nice entry Marcobar but you must specify the software you used to model the entry in to be qualified to enter the contest.

It will be really fun to see the results when this competition is over. I bet the judges will have a hard time deciding on this
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 02:51 AM   #24
marcobar

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place In SMC #92 
Right you are, NJ! Knew I forgot something. Image is fixed now.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #25
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Apologies guys but due to severe depression i've failed to come up with anything new yet........ i will try my upmost to delivery a new challenge by the end of this week.
Twitter
GreatClassicGamer-3DT! Thank you:
miguelito08 (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #26
miguelito08
Blender Power

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: 100+ posts Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Winner of a photo modeling challenge Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 1st Place PMC #30 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd place in PMC#34 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place In PMC #29 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place In PMC #31 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the PMC#33 Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in SMC #87 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #93 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in SMC #88 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in SMC#94 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place In SMC #94 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Honorable mention in the SMC #94 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 21
we are with you brother, take your time
miguelito08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatmiguelito08! Thank you:
ClassicGamer-3DT (08-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #27
marcobar

Awards Showcase
Health first, internet second! Like miguelito said, take your time, and all the best.
Greatmarcobar! Thank you:
ClassicGamer-3DT (08-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #28
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Just to let you know I have managed to get a new SMC done, it's live now here
Twitter