>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 27-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
SgtHK
Vertex Violator

Send a message via MSN to SgtHK Send a message via Yahoo to SgtHK
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
StarCraft Sons of War Project - 3d Artists Needed

Hi. I'm SgtHK and I'm new here

I recently had a chat with a friend of mine, Freespace, about finding good and capable 3d artists and he told me to check this place out . And I must say this site is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm part of the team which aims to make a mod for the game StarCraft. It's called "Sons of War". Perhaps you've heard of it? If not, visit our gallery site here for more info:

http://www.sonsofwar.uuuq.com/

The reason I came here is that we are looking for additional 3d artists for the production of the high-quality cinematic cutscenes we are planning to include in our project.

You might wanna ask "Why would I bother working for this project without any monetary profit whatsoever?" To answer that question, I will give you my own reasons why I stay and work for the team.

- The experience I gain in developing this would benefit me greatly in my future career.
- The finished cinematic cutscenes would look good in my portfolio.
- I love StarCraft.

I am an experienced 3d artist myself and most proficient in organic modeling, hard-surface modeling, and texturing. I use 3ds Max 2009 as my main program, Mudbox 2009 as my organic sculpting program, and Adobe Photoshop CS3 for texture creation.

But I am also the only 3d artist active in the team. Nine (9) of the latest models in our gallery site is accredited to me. Unfortunately there are alot more models still to be made and I would need help if we were to finish this project before the release of StarCraft II.

Here are my most recent and highest quality 3d works, both finished and WIPs. These would give you a hint of the quality we're aiming at.

General Wayne Nesser

"Hell Angels" Dropship squadron

Tormidal

In-game portrait preview for Tormidal

http://www.4shared.com/file/12091521.../Turn0140.html
WIP Siege Tank

So we are looking for 3d artists with one or more of the following skills (in order of importance):

#1 - High-Poly Modelers
#2 - Character Riggers
#3 - Character Animators
#4 - Reactor Physics Experts
#5 - Special Effects Compositors
#6 - Texture Artists

You might be wondering why I put "Texture Artists" in #6. Well I am quite adept at texturing and can provide all our texture needs if necessary. But still, additional texture artists are welcome

However, we do have criteria required to keep the workflow as efficient as possible. The 3d artists must be a user of 3ds Max 2009 in order to integrate with my work as much as possible. High-Poly modelers may use Maya as long as Importing/Exporting keeps the models intact. And Character Riggers who use programs like Motionbuilder are welcome too, as long as they know how to integrate it with 3ds Max.

So thanks for reading this! If anyone wants to join the team and help out, don't hesitate to PM me, or email me to either of these addresses:
sgthunterkiller2000@yahoo.com
sc.sonsofwar@gmail.com

Please include some info about yourself and a sample of one or more of your best works or WIPs. Also feel free to ask away your questions and I will try my best to answer them.

Thanks again and cheers!
SgtHK

Last edited by SgtHK; 27-07-2009 at 05:08 AM..
SgtHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
bobi
Scorpion

I really can't help this project as I am one big zero for modeler, but I must said, those screenshoots looks amazing. Please, when you finish the cinematic post it here.

And, one more question. How did you achueved those great looking soft clouds on the second image? I mean, it looks amazing really.
Is that afterburn, or some matte painting?
The renders are really great also. Which one you use? Scanline, Mental ray or some others?

Keep it up, and I hope you will find a great designers.

Last edited by bobi; 27-07-2009 at 08:15 AM..
bobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
SgtHK
Vertex Violator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobi View Post
I really can't help this project as I am one big zero for modeler, but I must said, those screenshoots looks amazing. Please, when you finish the cinematic post it here.

And, one more question. How did you achueved those great looking soft clouds on the second image? I mean, it looks amazing really.
Is that afterburn, or some matte painting?
The renders are really great also. Which one you use? Scanline, Mental ray or some others?

Keep it up, and I hope you will find a great designers.
The cloud backdrop is a photograph I tweaked around in Photoshop. For the renders, I used Mental Ray in the first (Wayne Nesser) and last images (Siege Tank WIP) and the rest used Scanline.

We're gonna incorporate the cinematics into the game. There are 4 of them in total. But I'll see if I can talk the team into letting me post them here
Old 28-07-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Hey Sarge,
Welcome to Threedy!

I do hope you're gonna get to show off those cinematics here, and wish you good luck in finding talented people to help out with their creation.

Btw, that's a pretty nice portrait of Wayne Nesser, great improvement in facial sculpting and texturing. Those eyes are deep, man.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
SgtHK
Vertex Violator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
Hey Sarge,
Welcome to Threedy!

I do hope you're gonna get to show off those cinematics here, and wish you good luck in finding talented people to help out with their creation.

Btw, that's a pretty nice portrait of Wayne Nesser, great improvement in facial sculpting and texturing. Those eyes are deep, man.
Hey, Free. Thanks for all the help man. Maybe I could return the favor someday and help you out
Old 29-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
neokyubi
Paramedic

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I don't think I meet the quality requirements haha
but I looove starcraft is that a bonus?
Old 29-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
SgtHK: My pleasure, man.

neokyubi: Why don't you show sarge your Medic?

Old 31-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
SgtHK
Vertex Violator

Awards Showcase
I took a look around and saw Neokyubi's Medic. The hard-surface modeling is really good. I posted a comment in the thread
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
neokyubi
Paramedic

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! 
Total Awards: 1
haha yay thanks for your comment. I still have a lot to learn with hard surface modelling, and those pinches is something I still struggle with :-S I dont feel qualified for your project, but I'll be following it and looking forward for the results good luck!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I'd love to get my hands on this project. Freespace really sees his projects through to the end; this is quite the opportunity. Only problem is I've got a lot on my plate at the moment.

If there's any room for some small jobs like say, sculpting a few faces, I might be able to help. Also I could probably help with some compositing, though I'm not fluent with 3ds Max's render pass set-up, only Maya's.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Some lovely work there, but then Im a sucker for Starcraft. Not sure I have enuf proven track record in Highpoly as I tend to use it as a means to an end currently, ie.. to grab the normals and AO for Low poly game models.

That said I have got plenty of Max and ZB experience, and intended on starting a Highpoly period of activity soon and would be interested in helping out so maybe you could take alook at my latest images - (see signature for link), and get back to me on it if you feel I could help out. Maybe send me a testpiece and a time limit and see whever I have the speed n skills necessary.

That said, either way I wish you well, and hope this project goes through to completion, Ill definately be getting it when it does.

Goodluck guys

Adamtherocket@hotmail.com
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
SgtHK
Vertex Violator

Awards Showcase
Sorry I haven't been here lately. My internet was down for a whole week

@neokyubi: No problem and thanks. I struggled with pinches and other smoothing artifacts, too. And I found ways of dealing with them. This gives me an idea on a tutorial.

@Crispy: You have a great collection of facial and body sculpting there. Faces are very important in our cinematic project as we would want our characters to have as much visual impact to our audience as possible. We do have room for facial scupltors. If you don't mind, shall I send you a PM with info on one of our characters and you sculpt the face?

@Steamtrooper: Those low-poly models you have are great. And with excellent UV mapping and texturing, too. I see you're more into human modeling. But I see several machines as well. We do have a new flying robotic Protoss unit which exists only as a sketch. It's called the Phalanx. Would you like me to send the concept sketch to you once the sketcher finishes cleaning it up?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #13
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Sounds good.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Sure thing SgtHK, I took a look at the Phalanx - shield/ distraction unit, let me know when youve got the concept finalised k.

All the best.
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Great to see this whole thing getting on its feet. Looking forward to seeing some sweet StarCraft flavoured artwork from you all.