>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 24-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 4
DWIV - 3D - Darchand - Lord of Shadow

I am recreating my thread partly because the title wouldn't update. I am including more screen shots as well.
Attached Images

Darchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
interesting design. I like the legs.
dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Thanks Dhin.

I plan on getting some sculpting done on him tomorrow. I am wondering if I should add any other accessories to him. Any ideas?
Old 25-03-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Cool work. I like the upper half. The legs could use some work I think. Just a bit more dynamic positioning, and larger shapes. He looks pretty hefty on top, it doesn't look like the legs are supporting a great weight. Get a few more angles in there instead of straight horizontal, vertical lines and it should add a whole lot I think.

Looking forward to the sculpt though, he's looking cool.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the advise Puckducker. I am not 100% if I am going to change up too much but I will bulk up the legs a bit. Also the interior area of the leg where you see those gaps I am going to fill those areas in with opacity maps with exposed muscle adding hopefully a more powerfull appearance for the legs.

Right now I am still playing with sculpting. I doubt what you see here will be any thing close to what it will end up looking like I might redo it a couple of times but it can't hurt to ask what you guys think.
Attached Images

Old 25-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
nice idea, and also a nice progress in sculpting. I might add, that a neck would make him easier to look around, which is an important thing in battle. Maybe, the arm could be more longer, to reach his own leg, and be able to defend it from a small attacker. And maybe, if you have some spare polygons, some armor could make it more scary!

Keep going!
Cordero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Darchand

Awards Showcase
I don't really want a lot of armor on him so I am not going there. Also as far as attacking smaller enemies he might have a spear although he doesn't really need any weapons (I have a story for him that I wrote I will post later)

Here is a quick paint over. Hope you guys like.
Attached Images

Old 26-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #8
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Well I know a lot of people think the legs should look more powerful and I am hoping this will support the weight a bit better. After all he is a really big guy
Attached Images

Old 26-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #9
FrZnChAoS
Shaolin Renderer

Send a message via AIM to FrZnChAoS Send a message via MSN to FrZnChAoS
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge - SMC #49 Fly The Friendly Skies 
Total Awards: 3
I think your legs are pretty good. They read to me as being strong and agile. Since the top of your character isnt overly huge I dont think you have to over compensate on the size of the legs. Looks pretty sweet.
FrZnChAoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #10
spider2544

i love the design of the legs so far, but its a bit early to be throwing in tiny details like scales that you ahve on there.

you should pump up the volume of the forums you've sculpted for the legs to make things read a bit more clearly cause right now the shapes are a bit muddy.
Old 26-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Thanks FrZnChAoS I appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider2544 View Post

you should pump up the volume of the forums you've sculpted for the legs to make things read a bit more clearly cause right now the shapes are a bit muddy.
I am not 100% sure what you are saying? Of course things are still being meshed out but this is a W.I.P. thread so I most as I go things might seem random but it is all to get feed back to help create the best possible end product. Anyways thanks for the comment.

Here is an update trying to come up with what the girdle should look like. The down side of having 3 growings is they can't be sculpted symmetrically or as far as I know they can't.
Attached Images

Old 27-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #12
Darchand

Awards Showcase
A bed time story

I won't be able to update for several days maybe not even a week because I am moving. I thought I would leave you guys with a story. Enjoy

“I am writing this story after the past twenty-four hours of torment and sadness that I have endured. Last night as the war drew closer to our village I could hear screams of those falling to their deaths.

Fear crossed my heart as all lights seemed to start dying away. I managed the courage to look out of my windows to see the battle entering into my village.

A strange sight filled my eyes as I saw the armies turning on their comrades and killing their own brothers.

Then in the distance a giant perched upon three legs walked through killing soldiers who took no notice of this immense beast.

As the demon approached I saw villagers running out of their homes each of them quickly killing each other.

It seemed as though it did not matter to them who they killed, brothers fell to each other mothers were killing their own children.

In horror I closed the shutters. Then I remembered my wife and young boy were down stairs. I hear my son screaming then silence.

I sat for a moment in the darkness then the pounding upon the door started my wife begging for me to let her in. I feared for her life so instinctively I ran to the door and let her in then locked it back quickly.

When I turned I felt a darkness grown with in me. She stood before me holding a knife in her right hand and a clutch of blonde hair that I knew was from my son. Her dress was covered in blood.

She charged me with her knife and not knowing what I was doing I pulled it away from her knocking her head sharply against the dresser.

She lay upon the ground passed out from hitting her head on the dresser. I took the knife and cut into her until I was covered in her blood.

When I awoke the next morning laying beside her it all returned back to me the darkness and hate that filled my heart was now gone and all that was left was sadness.

My family died that night as I shall this night. I close this passage I close it with a warning. If you ever see that monster that demon lord of darkness lock your doors and chain your loved ones. If you do not you will die or live knowing you took their lives."
Old 28-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #13
Darchand

Awards Showcase
I thought I would post another picture in I guess what could only be considered false hopes of getting more replies and feed back. I am sorry if my work isn't up to par or if I am doing something wrong. Anyways those who have thank you again and yes I know this isn't really any type of update because I am too busy packing but I will get some great updates later next week after I get moved.
Attached Images

Old 28-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Of course this isn't a 100% update it is just a post to ask a question and break up the time while I pack. The question is should I create or model areas like the eyes when the normal map is simulating the eyes and other areas with out any issues.

Here is the normal map test on the low poly model.
Attached Images

Old 28-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
I like the legs, too. Keep on modeling that way!
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote