>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 05-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
AA-ron
Double-A

freelance help - how much to charge?

Hey all, I hope this is the right thread to post my question, so here it goes.

Ive been trying to get my feet wet in freelance work but have a difficult time trying to figure out how much to charge for the work.
I know this is a tricky subject and there isnt any set standards for pricing on 3d work since theres such a wide range of work. So my question for other more experienced freelance artists is, what do you consider when youre in price negotiations with the client?

Most of the freelance that I have run into is making models (textured and untextured), final illustrated composites and special fx/clean up compositing.
Im fairly new to the freelance world and Im looking for any tips, tricks, personal experiences, things to avoid, etc.
i.e., is it better to charge per hour on certain jobs such as compositing or is it better to charge a flat rate for the entire project?
So far the best advice Ive been going on is, is it worth your time to do the work required for how much the client is willing to pay.

Thanks in advance!
www.youtube.com/algae998
AA-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
GrantCeruloNYC

In NYC, for a college graduate, junior modeler, I'd say anywhere from $40-$45/ hour and more

In NYC they use 'day rates' typically instead of hourly rates. But if you are charging a day rate, make sure to negotiate for over time, or else you will be working 10+ hours every day and only getting paid your base

Always ask for the day rate you think you should be making...if it's too high, the employer will tell you they can't pay it, and you can always negotiate down.
GrantCeruloNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
GrantCeruloNYC

I'm in new york too, so feel free to hit me up, grant@cerulo.com
GrantCeruloNYC is offline   Reply With Quote