>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Game Art Challenge

Old 27-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #76
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
I find it very interesting that the name for a bishop in most languages seems to derive from runner or be a fast - attacking piece

well actually, I find it more interesting that we chose to name the runner piece "bishop" in english .

weird.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #77
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopipe View Post
I find it very interesting that the name for a bishop in most languages seems to derive from runner or be a fast - attacking piece

well actually, I find it more interesting that we chose to name the runner piece "bishop" in english .

weird.
Indeed, in spanish the bishop is called "Alfil" which comes from the persian name for the piece "Al-fil" which means "the elephant"....go figure

SKETCHES & WIPs

Last edited by RogerP; 27-06-2011 at 07:29 PM..
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #78
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
@Big-Toe. Do we have to use all the maps you mentioned? I am still rather inexperienced and I don't know how to use them all. If anyone has some tutorials, I would gladly try them out.
MemoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #79
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
you don't have to use all the maps listed, they are just examples of maps you can use.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatBiG ToE-3DT! Thank you:
MemoNick (29-06-2011)
Old 29-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #80
MemoNick

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Thanks for the prompt replies Big Toe.
MemoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #81
Tank[NL]
New goal: Platinum spam

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 3
school's over. i've been wanting to do a cool character for a year. i might join
Old 08-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #82
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Is it okay to include a vehicle as part of the character? Say if part of the design is for him to be riding in a chariot or a tank or something? (As long as all fit within poly limits of course)

Portfolio
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #83
timberwo7ves
rawr.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Users Who Have Already Recieved Awards  	Issue reason	Issue time	Controls	Remove PKT	3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappedStrings View Post
Is it okay to include a vehicle as part of the character? Say if part of the design is for him to be riding in a chariot or a tank or something? (As long as all fit within poly limits of course)
Should imagine so, as long as the base is chess piece suitable? There are a couple of entries which aren't bipeds atm.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #84
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
What are the restrictions on number of entries per person?

Also, are there any restrictions on having 2 forum profiles, and using them both concurrently?

I say this because I've noticed 2 suspiciously named members...
Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #85
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: good vs evil Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up 
Total Awards: 8
I wouldn't see a problem with a mount as long as it all fits on the same texture sheet. considering the Knight piece would most likely be a mounted piece.

@Big Toe-3DT In regards to the "base", Can you elaborate here about this as im guessing most people are confused to the term in the brief.

When I first read "Only real restriction, your piece needs to have a “chess like” base." I assumed by base you ment an identifiable chess like concept.
Kaiune3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #86
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
SnappedStrings: yes thats fine.

The Prime: One entry per person. If they try to enter under different names, I'll know, or at least I'll find out.

Kaiune3D: when I wrote chess like base, what I was refering to was the bottom of the model, the part that rests on the chess board. I'll post up a few examples in a bit.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 08-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #87
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT View Post
SnappedStrings: yes thats fine.

The Prime: One entry per person. If they try to enter under different names, I'll know, or at least I'll find out.

Kaiune3D: when I wrote chess like base, what I was refering to was the bottom of the model, the part that rests on the chess board. I'll post up a few examples in a bit.
i know i've not been involved here.. but just saw the post...

prime asked about entries and multiple entries....i mean...

i dont wanna step on the bigtoe here.. but couldnt you create multiple entries.. and at the end pick the one that you want to put in as your final... so technically you only enter one... but you arent just limited to one design.. as i'm sure the reason prime is asking.. is because he has a couple of ideas he wants to explore...

so me.. id say.. do them.. and at the end.. pick the one that you think is your better entry and go with that...

but then.. i'm not a judge.. or mod.. so you'd have to ask someone else if thats cool..
Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #88
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
it's true, you can make as many models(entries) as you want, but you can only enter one for the judging.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 08-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #89
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
So the model needs a base, as in something it stands on, and CAN have a pedastal, as in something it stands on. Am I correct?
AlucardAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #90
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
here are a few examples, the last one has a "person" and they are on top of a base.

the base and the pedestal are two different things.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life