>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 28-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
jogshy

xNormal v3.0 ( normal mapper tool )

xNormal is a .NET v2.0 application that creates normal/ambient occlusion maps from a very high polygon model and fits it into a low polygon model. Supports tons of mesh formats ( including COLLADA 1.4 ) as well as multiple output image formats. Includes a complete 57 pages PDF help document too.

It comes with an OpenGL interactive viewer ( and some examples ) to see the final result.

More information at http://www.santyesprogramadorynografista.net and http://santyhammer.blogspot.com

Last edited by jogshy; 07-01-2008 at 08:55 PM..
jogshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
jec1183

Tested it today. It works great. For some reason max doesn't want to generate normals for me and zbrush also has trouble but this program fixed all those issues. Thanks for sharing man. The only thing I would like to see is quad support.
jec1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
jogshy

yep

You mean quad CPU support or quad face? Hehehe... If is the first, uses OpenMP so I bet it can... For the second, I triangulate manually the quad face meshes... perhaps will crash under certain circunstances ( because I didn't test it well ), but should work ok I think ( ouch! if not hehehe )

Last edited by jogshy; 07-01-2008 at 08:55 PM..
Old 28-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
jec1183

I was talking about Poly Quad Mesh. Whenever I try to get a normal to render out with a quad mesh it gives me an error saying both high and low need to be triangulated. Not a big deal but it would be nice to just go right from my working mesh and straight into XNormal. I haven't run into any bugs yet. Let me see what I can do with an example.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
jec1183

Found some other issues that would be great to have added in. Beyond the fact that you can't use a Quad mesh the program doesn't let you use floating geometry. Basically if I am doing a high poly mechanical mesh to use for normals I don't want to spend the time to seamlessly add in all that detail. In other normal map gens all you need is floating geometry and the program will take that into account.

A not so major one but it can really bug the hell out of you is the fact that when you go to browse to find a map or 3d file it always starts in the same location. It doesn't save the last file location.

Like I go to find a file in /3dmodels/wips/hero/normal map test.

it will always start at /xnormal/models rather then use the previous location.

Also its rather nice that you support the rendering out of normal maps in other image formats but it does no good to render them out in JPG or BMP when you can only look at TGA in your viewer.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 AM   #6
jogshy

ok

Ok by popular demand, I am including quad support in the next version ( will be out in some days ), as well as some bug corrections from the feedback im getting.

Also, Im adding new texture formats to the 3d viewer.

I can't understand what is the "floating geometry"... You can add fine detail using height maps under the "fine detail" tab if you don't want to use the traditional high poly/low poly raycasting.

thx

Last edited by jogshy; 05-03-2006 at 07:11 AM..
Old 05-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
jec1183

http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4/ArtRe...CreatingModels Just go to that link and scroll down till you see a model with an upside down triangle cut into it. Just below that picture is the wireframe in 3/4 view. You see that the Beveled triangle is actually hovering above the high poly geometry. This is coined appropriately floating geometry.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:21 AM   #8
jogshy

new v3.1.0 version

Ok, just uploaded the new xNormal v3.1.0 with quad support, floating geometry support, new LWO importer, new fine detail / 3D viewer format supports, directory restoration, multipart load as well as some minor bug corrections.

Hope you like it. thx for all the feedback.

Last edited by jogshy; 07-03-2006 at 07:38 AM..
Old 11-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #9
jogshy

v3.1.2

Okie! New version v3.1.2 is out!
Btw, I added in my web a small .txt with the changes, so you no longer need to download the 11Mb to see them hehe...

Basically, solved the ambient occlusion crash ( was a problem with Pentium4 dual-cores and hyperthreading ), added camera orbit mode, added Stanford PLY mesh format ( because it appears is very popular in 3d-scanners ), now the 3d viewer supports floating point textures for improved normal map appereance as well as FSAA and anisotropic filtering.

You can download it as usually in http://www.santyesprogramadorynograf.../projects.aspx

Hope you like it!

Last edited by jogshy; 11-03-2006 at 09:29 AM..
Old 14-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #10
jogshy

v3.2.0 released

Okey! Version 3.2.0.7080 is released!

Added supersampling, light orbiting, n-sided polygons ( quads weren't enough for meh! ), UI improvements like disable buttons sounds and RAM indicator, background color slider, improved dotXSI exporter ( now supports even triangle strip lists ), no more texture coords must be in range [0,1] and tons of bugs solved

See ya soon!
Old 15-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #11
lildragon

Send a message via Yahoo to lildragon
I know you don't get much replies on this utility, but I have to just say it's a great normal mapper you've put together here. Much appreciated! Now for some heavy tests

The music in the viewer is funny, nice touch! Small request, is it possible to have the light orient to the orbit controls? As an option for lazy peeps just so you don't have to hit "light to camera" everytime? Just a small thing but yeah, nice tool

-lild

Last edited by lildragon; 15-03-2006 at 11:47 PM..
lildragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006, 04:59 AM   #12
jogshy

done light orbit

Light orbit done in version 3.2, thx lildragon for the feedback.
Old 18-03-2006, 05:00 AM   #13
jogshy

v3.3.0

Version v3.3.0.1362 is out!

Added new ambient occlusion method ( which is better for floating geometry and 2x faster ), parallax mapping in the 3d viewer, a new example!(ugly, did myself), ALT+tab support, F1 to hide viewer's UI, other UI improvements and some bugs corrected.

As usually, http://www.santyesprogramadorynograf.../projects.aspx
http://santyhammer.blogspot.com

Enjoy it!
Old 31-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
jogshy

v3.4.0

xNormal v3.4.0 out as promised.

Adds new "cages" method to measure better the ray distance ( per-vertex editable non-uniform ray distance, inner AND outter cages ), independent front/back ray distances (uniform, old method improved too), transparency in the viewer, batch rendering, hide/show meshes from raycaster/viewer, multiple meshes loading (including the highpoly in the viewer), reload models/textures, F10 key to take screenshots, extended the documentation to 80 pages, choose video mode and ignore/use multimonitor, etc etc etc...

Hope you like it.

Last edited by jogshy; 31-03-2006 at 12:09 PM..
Old 08-04-2006, 03:30 AM   #15
jogshy

v3.5.1 out

xNormal v3.5.1 is out!

Improved cage support.

Also changed the heightmap algorithm to be more accurate, specially at triangle edges.

Added the glow effect for emissive texture with a slider to control intensity and a checkbox to disable it. See a preview image:

Also put an option to hide lowpoly/highpoly meshes inside the viewer.

Solved a very bad crash rendering normal maps with multiple meshes.

Now it allows too to launch the viewer without lowpoly models loaded if you wanna see only the highpoly meshes as requested.

Added numerical values to some 3D viewer controls.

Now the viewer uses alpha sorting per triangle ( very accurate but can be slow sometimes so beware the # of alpha-texture polygons you put... ). Now the entire acid example is alpha-sorted ( eyes are semi-transparent and reflective )

The complete change list is in http://www.santyesprogramadorynograf...al_changes.txt

and you can download it as always in
http://www.santyesprogramadorynograf.../projects.aspx and http://santyhammer.blogspot.com

Hope you like it!

Last edited by jogshy; 09-04-2006 at 01:19 PM..