>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 02-05-2009, 05:01 AM   #136
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
BigToe: Did you "Enable Diffuse Map"? There are check boxes to turn on all of the texture maps.
Theres also a chance that some of the default values for some of the effects are weird, but i don't think they'd turn the model black.
I'll see if I can get my model to turn black.

Sebiomegas: I'll see what I can do. What version of Max are you using?
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #137
Sebiomegas
I am Alpha and Omega!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War character! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
@buzzy:I'm on max 9.

I really need to update my machine rig. All your more advanced shaders look so cool.

War General Pet Portrait-

Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #138
Sebiomegas
I am Alpha and Omega!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War character! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I found this Generic Image Based Lighting shader.
http://www.luxinia.de/index.php/ArtTools/3dsmaxFX

After a quick try out ,It seems to work for me.
Maybe you could inspire yourself from it.

Anyway if I can't get something decent out of these DirectX shaders, I will rely on good old render engine.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #139
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Buzzy, I tried your complete shader, it is great, but I cant get specular map working. I works somewhat when I copy difuse map on speclar slot, but not with black and whit map ate spcular map. and it does work without map at all, but it has similar specularity everywhere
Old 06-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #140
pat069fmm
3D games

Lightbulb How to blend 2 textures with your last shader ?

Hello Buzzy,

I used your last Shader "Shader_Donze_Complete_renderstyle" in 3dsmax 2009. Everything works diffuse, specular, normal map, but can you help me with the blending with vertex color?

I try to blend 2 textures together. I added a "Mix" material after your shader in the first ID. I can see the blending of the two texture after a quick render, but not directly in the viewport.

Maybe your shader works like that.. If not I will be really happy to know how It work?

Thanks in advance.
pat069fmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:56 AM   #141
Sebiomegas
I am Alpha and Omega!

Awards Showcase
Hi !

I'm looking for some info on real-time shaders and GPU.

.1 Are Nvidia Quadro cards better when it comes to real-time shaders ?
.2 Can I display the same thing with a Geforce.
(Are there any performance issues.)

I want to buy a new graphic card.

Thank you !

Old 04-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #142
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Quadro and GeForce both use the same chipset. The main difference (as far as I'm aware) is speed vs. quality.

GeForce cards are designed for gaming so they can render at higher framerates, but at the cost of resolution and image quality, possibly even dropping frames altogether. They are triangle-pumping machines.

Quadro cards are designed for CAD/video production, so they can't render as fast, but they can produce higher quality images and higher resolution, and it won't drop frames.

For realtime shaders, either one will work fine, as long as you are using DirectX (preferably DX 9 or higher) I would strongly recommend a high-end GeForce simply for the cost difference. Quadro's are really expensive, and not worth it for someone who is not doing heavy video processing. Plus, because Quadro and GeForce use the same core chipset, you can mod a GeForce to think it's a Quadro and install Quadro drivers. It still won't be a Quadro, but it's a good middle ground.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #143
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
I think it's high-time I cleaned up this thread. That oughta be a good task for me today.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #144
Sebiomegas
I am Alpha and Omega!

Awards Showcase
Thanx Buzzy !
Your shader stuff is really cool, so I need Pixel Shader 3.0 support.

I am finaly getting my second computer after six years.
Quadro are SO expensive.

I am planning to buy a i7 920 processor with 6 GB of DDR3 RAM .

I'll have to chose one of those card:

EVGA Nvidia GTX 260 896Mo DDR3

EVGA E-GEFORCE NVIDIA GTX275,SUPERCLOCKED,896MB,448BIT DDR3

ASUS GeForce ENGTS250 DK/DI/1GD3GF GTS250,PCI-E 2.0,1GB-DDR3

Any recommendations ?

Why does two of them have 896 mo and not 1 GB ?

Old 14-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #145
dudeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebiomegas View Post
Thanx Buzzy !
Your shader stuff is really cool, so I need Pixel Shader 3.0 support.

I am finaly getting my second computer after six years.
Quadro are SO expensive.

I am planning to buy a i7 920 processor with 6 GB of DDR3 RAM .

I'll have to chose one of those card:

EVGA Nvidia GTX 260 896Mo DDR3

EVGA E-GEFORCE NVIDIA GTX275,SUPERCLOCKED,896MB,448BIT DDR3

ASUS GeForce ENGTS250 DK/DI/1GD3GF GTS250,PCI-E 2.0,1GB-DDR3

Any recommendations ?

Why does two of them have 896 mo and not 1 GB ?
I know your post goes back a long time, but just to inform others who may be facing the same question:

Video cards are tricky when it comes to choosing which you'll be going for. The numbers on the cards can be both confusing and misleading - a gtx260 is lots faster than a gtx250, but there's little difference between the gtx260 and 275.

Nvidia and Ati's cards can always be seperated into 3 groups, regardless of which series. There's budget, midrange and highend cards. In older nvidia series, it was always as following: *100-*500=budget, *600-*700=midrange *800-*950=high end.
Each step in "range" will usually double the performance(and price) of the previous.
That means a GeForce8600 will get roughly half the performance boost over a previous generation graphics card when compared to a GeForce8800.
For anyone that even reads these forums; all budget type cards should at all costs be avoided. A GeForce 9600 will not even come close to the performance of even a 8800 - budget, midrange and high end are completely different leagues.

Sooooo, what to make of all this? You can either follow many tech sites and try to stay up to date with everything that goes on in this area, or simply find a proper benchmarking site. Tomshardwareguide is a good example - it has up-to-date charts of all popular processors and graphics cards, and allow an easy comparison of the choices you're facing.

Another thing I'd like to adress here is the Quadro/FireGL vs. GeForce/Radeon cards. I'm principically opposed to the expensive counterparts because it is actually the exact same hardware. The difference is the drivers. In the past, we've been able to tweak the detonator drivers (now known as ForceWare, or simply Nvidia drivers) to recognise a geforce card as a Quadro to unlock the quadro-exclusive features in some 3d software, the consumer drivers are actually more efficient (they dont skip frames...) and you wont miss out on anything (except slower game performance) in current software suites.

As for your particular choice, I'd have gone for the 275 unless it was at least 20% more expensive than the 260. The 250 would have been a bad choice performance-wise.
dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #146
sammuelsama

Question Fake reflections versus lightmap shader fx

Hello guys,

I have a question about an issue I am having right now with my 3ds max lowpoly environment.
I am not able to get anymore my fake reflections since I added my lightmap shader, because I need to fake the light too through vertex paint lighting and lightmaps.

Do you know a useful shader that can do my reflections and preserving my lightmap, any ideas?

Thanks,
Sam
sammuelsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #147
sammuelsama

I forgot to mention that I duplicate some objects to get that fake reflections under the ground... The render has to be in the viewport of 3ds max...
sammuelsama is offline   Reply With Quote