>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Speed Modelling Challenge

Old 11-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #61
RockstarKate
Maxaholics Anonymous

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about using sculpting software like Z-Brush or Mudbox in these comps? Personally, I think that work done in these softwares can't really be considered "modeling". The reason I'm bringing this up is that I see a lot of ZBrush models in the Bust mini-challenge and I know there is no way to compete with the level of detail you can make in a sculpting application using straight modeling techniques in 3DS Max, Maya, etc. Especially not in the time limit.
So to my mind, it doesn't seem right to judge Sculpted models against Modeled models. I see people posting their "base meshes" which are extremely simple and wouldn't have a shot at a win, but the final ZBrush render looks great. So Marty, I'm wondering what you think about this.
No offense to people who are using these programs- the results are astounding in such short times! Who wouldn't love that. I just wonder if it really has a place in the spirit of the SMC.
RockstarKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #62
Marty_McFly-3DT
THE Mad Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Marty_McFly-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Yes, you are correct to think that there is a big difference between 'sculpting' software, and standard 'modeling' software. And for the most part, they have played a very minimal part in the SMC's. I allowed them in the bust challenge mainly because of the informality of that challenge. I also made it clear that in order to be a winner in that challenge, the models need to be easily ported to other software, which seems to be a bit of a problem for the current incarnation of ZBrush.

As it stands, if ZBrush is used in a minimal way for some simple displacement mapping, then entries using it will be allowed. But if it's 90% ZBrush and 10% standard modeling, then no... it will not be acceptable for the standard SMC's. Not that I have anything against ZBrush or the sculpting technique... but it's not what the SMC's are about.

Now if there were enough people interested, maybe they can rally for a Speed Sculpting Challenge as well... then that would make things really interesting.

Marty
Soon the world of 3D will belong to me!
Follow me on Twitter @McFlyGold
Marty_McFly-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #63
Daye
aka Nehumanuscrede

Send a message via Yahoo to Daye
Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: SMC # 27 - Air Fresheners - Second Place Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: SMC # 28 - Juke Box - Second Place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
Z-Brush

The true power / speed of Z-Brush is very apparent. It's really only a
decent application when it comes to organic based modeling. What takes
hours in a standard modeling app, can be done in minutes in Z-Brush.
Thus, it's appeal.

However, it is not well suited for most of the challenges we do. Due to
it's nature, Z-Brush is definitely not the premier choice for inorganic subjects.
Don't get me wrong they can be done, but speed wise the other apps will
crush it. Just the nature of the program imo.

It's wonderful for adding detail, but modeling of say a cell phone would not
be something I would even consider Z-Brush for.

So, with the exception of organic subjects, we probably won't have to
worry about sculptors competing with the modelers much

Related note. Rumor is the fix for the Ultramapper and other minor issues is
forthcoming in Mid-July with the 3.1 release. So the displacement maps,
HD geometry and Normal Map issues may be fixed with it.

Last edited by Daye; 11-07-2007 at 09:51 PM..
Daye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #64
Marty_McFly-3DT
THE Mad Moderator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Ahh... but as I said... we will be visiting organics a little more often....
Old 12-07-2007, 01:36 AM   #65
RockstarKate
Maxaholics Anonymous

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
You could just consider any work done in Z-Brush or Mudbox as texturing, I guess. Then people would be able to work on their skills, the same way as with texturing, lighting, and rendering, but it would still be a modeling contest.
Just a thought.
RockstarKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #66
skulll_monster

Send a message via MSN to skulll_monster Send a message via Yahoo to skulll_monster
HEY....
its my first post...i like to be in speed or other modeling challenges...
but i cant find anything...
where i must start it ?
thanx
skulll_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #67
RefeeZ
teh n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulll_monster View Post
HEY....
its my first post...i like to be in speed or other modeling challenges...
but i cant find anything...
where i must start it ?
thanx
you shouldn't have written here,simply just search for any smc thread then learn or at least read the rules and start making us "WOW,You're amazing man!What's your secret"
Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #68
penguins
Penguin shaman

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge ''feeling peckish, for peanuts'' 
Total Awards: 2
Quick question. Does anybody know if rigging and skinning is part of the time? I know it sounds random for the coffee grinder but I have a use for it.
penguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #69
Marty_McFly-3DT
THE Mad Moderator

Awards Showcase
Rigging and Skinning is not part of the modeling time allowed.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #70
penguins
Penguin shaman

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge ''feeling peckish, for peanuts'' 
Total Awards: 2
Yeeee can't wait for this one then. Thanks Marty.
penguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #71
pables
Modoler!

Send a message via MSN to pables
Awards Showcase
Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.057 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge #24  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge ''Walk this way'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed Modelling Challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockstarKate View Post
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about using sculpting software like Z-Brush or Mudbox in these comps? Personally, I think that work done in these softwares can't really be considered "modeling". The reason I'm bringing this up is that I see a lot of ZBrush models in the Bust mini-challenge and I know there is no way to compete with the level of detail you can make in a sculpting application using straight modeling techniques in 3DS Max, Maya, etc. Especially not in the time limit.
So to my mind, it doesn't seem right to judge Sculpted models against Modeled models. I see people posting their "base meshes" which are extremely simple and wouldn't have a shot at a win, but the final ZBrush render looks great. So Marty, I'm wondering what you think about this.
No offense to people who are using these programs- the results are astounding in such short times! Who wouldn't love that. I just wonder if it really has a place in the spirit of the SMC.
totally agree with that. I think, if sculpting programs were allowed in the smcs, that would be a handicap for those who dont have a sculpting software
pables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #72
Marty_McFly-3DT
THE Mad Moderator

Awards Showcase
Well I did already respond to her question...
Old 29-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #73
Yedan

not sure where to post this i will post it here, can any of the mods in trhis forum answer a question regarding the awards. what constitutes 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in these comps, just wondering as we dont really have the placings like that,
Yedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #74
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGamer-3DT View Post
I myself feel personlly that it's ll getting a little out of hand and a little off topic of late . To me it couldn't be simplier, each week the new topic/challenge is posted up, and we choose weather we wish to entry of not, we all learn from each other and develop our skills with modelling, i take the SMC very seriously also, and i've been very fortunate and lucky to win 1 weeks and i have a total textures CD, and i love it. I think that it's up to the members posting there models, if they wish to submit a clay render or render without textures, then so be it, alternatively if they wish to spend hours/days/weeks on texturing/lighting then again so be it, it's whatever the members are confortable with i think. at the heart of these SMC is the modelling aspect, and as long as we conform to the guidelines of modelling the topic of the SMC. It dones't really matter about the texturing or non texturing of the model(s). As after all, the judgeing will be on the way you have anaylsed the challenge and interpret it in the model(s) you submit. Anything else is just a visual eye candy or backup to showcase your building of the SMC. That's my take on it all anyway

Classic Gamer
I'm a little confused.. you say your a moderator.. but you've won an smc comp.. how can this be.. you know most competitions the people doing the judging aren't allowed to take part.. or are allowed but their entries are counted based on the fact that they could just say.. i win anytime they feel like..

i'm guessing you won before you became a moderator...

and when you say clay texture.. do you mean the standard max default texture that it loads with.. or is there some actual clay texture out there..
Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #75
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Yeah I said this way way way before I was made a mod.

A clay render is usually a stochastic or GI render with a subtle amoutn of shadowing and nothing else, no textures or shaders or materials. These are one of many methods that can show off the models detailing very well.

There are actual clay textures out there, but that's only if you wished to use a matcap and export your model into Zbrush or something.

Uusally the clay render refers to that of a GI render within whatever software your using.

CG.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote