>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > Modelling, Lighting & Rendering Help

Old 22-02-2005, 03:15 AM   #1
Henry_B
Professional Noob

Send a message via MSN to Henry_B
Question Parray

hi there, can someone help me with parray.. i want to do a floor full of rocks with particle sistem, but i cant find out how to make it without the particles coliding, i want them to be all separate not coliding, can someone know how to do this?

here is an example of what im having now

any help would be very much apreciated
Old 22-02-2005, 04:24 AM   #2
Henry_B
Professional Noob

another one but still colliding
Old 22-02-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
ross_coe
formerly Ross-3DT =P

to be honest I haven't used parray much at all.....so this is just a suggestion and by no means a solution....

have you tried adding the "keep apart" operator??? I just had a look at the max reference....and from the description it sounds like what you're looking for.

quote:
"The Keep Apart operator, a member of the Speed operator family, lets you apply forces to particles to cause them to separate, in order to prevent or minimize collisions among particles. Alternatively, you can use a negative force to keep particles from separating too much. The operator works by controlling particle speed and acceleration.
Note: Keep Apart doesn't use particle geometry; rather, it creates a spherical force field centered on the pivot of each particle. You can adjust the size of the force field by changing the particle size."

hope this helps I'll look into it a bit more tomorrow and play about with it.

btw....have you thought about using scatter instead of particles to spread your rocks around???

PasteyFace - Online Folio (W.I.P)
My CGS Folio Page
Old 22-02-2005, 11:54 PM   #4
ross_coe
formerly Ross-3DT =P

My apologies Henry....I was thinking of PFlow and not parray My bad.
But from what I can see there doesn't seem to be any way of making sure your rocks are kept seperate with parray.
And for what it's worth, I tried out PFlow as well, and using the "keep apart" operator doesn't seem to help that much. Particles still overlap, and i tried tweaking a lot of the settings but couldn't seem to fix that. They also just seem to fly out in all directions (even with deflectors encasing them, the odd particle still seems to escape). And of course, they're constantly moving so if you wanted them still for the course of an animation that wouldn't be suitable.

Like I said, you could always try scatter which can randomly scatter your rocks over a plane. Altho I think you might get the same overlapping result. But then you could convert it to an editable poly, and using the "element" sub object, select the rocks that are overlapping and shift them a bit. Might turn out to take a while tho depending on how many rocks you have....and it might also slow down performance because all the rocks will be a single object and not instances of each other.

Just out of interest....are you going to add any kind of simulation to the rocks? or are they just going to sit still (and you're just using parray to randomly place them in your scene)???

PasteyFace - Online Folio (W.I.P)
My CGS Folio Page
Old 23-02-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
Henry_B
Professional Noob

thanks ross
but i didnt knew how to use operators, i tried a lot but never figure out how to make them work thanks anyway
Old 23-02-2005, 01:26 AM   #6
Henry_B
Professional Noob

Quote:
[/B]Just out of interest....are you going to add any kind of simulation to the rocks? or are they just going to sit still (and you're just using parray to randomly place them in your scene)??? [/B]
its for both purposes, one is for a non animated rock flor, an the other is to..mm i want to make a name formed of spheres and then animate the rocks falling down to the floor or explodong...something like that