>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > General software and hardware help

Old 31-03-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
Jenn

Max Faq, tips and techniques

Okay gang, I think we've all seen more than our fair share of bounding box, where did my axis go and how do I put an image on a plane/background questions.

So here is what I propose. Post your faqs, tips and techniques for Max in this thread. When the thread gets large enough I will start a html page with hot links.

This would be for Max only but if users of maya, lightwave and other software packages want me to start a faq for them too just give me a shout.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
Jenn

Q: When I use the arc rotate tool, I don't see the object but only the "white" box with the size of my object...

Answer: To fix: PRESS "O" letter!!

Tip: Turn off Degradation Override if you have big models you need to navigate around and if you are finding performance to be sluggish
Old 01-04-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
Emperor
Cookiefreak

Q: When I render, the rendered image shows more then my viewport does. Why?

A: In the upper left corner of the viewport, where the viewport type text is showed, right click and choose "Show safe frame". This will draw lines that define what will show up in your render.

Tip: When u want to change the size of your image in the rendering dialouge, and you want it to fit exactly the way you want, have the render dialouge up and press the arrows by the numbers up or down. Now u can see the safe frame instantly being modified to your liking.

Happy threedying

Last edited by Emperor; 02-04-2003 at 10:40 PM..
Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 10:39 PM   #4
Emperor
Cookiefreak

Q: I want to boolean a window in to the walls of my house that I made of two planes converted to meshes. But when I use the boolean operation it cuts through but doesen't fill in the holes. Why?

A: To fill in the holes exchange the two planes for a box. This way the operation has enough vertices to connect to and polygons to cut so that the hole gets filled with.

Tip: When doing things like walls, and you want to make windows and doors, the best thing IMO is to draw upp splines for the wall and the windows and doors. Then convert them into editable splines and attach all splines together. You do this by selecting one of them and clicking on attach, and then clicking on the splines you want attached. Or click attach list and choose from the list or all of them. Now go to the modifiers panel and select extrude. Now you see a planar wall full with widows and doors. Put in a value in the extrude modifier and watch your wall grow.

Happy threedying

Last edited by Emperor; 02-04-2003 at 10:42 PM..
Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 10:52 PM   #5
Emperor
Cookiefreak

Q: When I work in edit mesh or edit poly modes and want to select a number of, for example, polygons, I always seem to select the ones on the back of the model and not the ones I want to select. Help me!!!

A: In the top of the edit mesh or edit poly rollout, mark in the option that says "Ignore backfacing".

Tip: When working in a crowded scene and wanting to concentrate on one object that you want to move around, select it and press space. This will lock you to the selected object so that you now cannot select others. If you look somewhere in your interface (differs from version to version) u should see a lock icon button going yellow. You can also press this to lock. When you wish to unlock just press space or the button again.

Happy threedying
Old 02-04-2003, 11:01 PM   #6
Emperor
Cookiefreak

Q: When I want to put in an enviroment effect like volume fog it says "pick gizmo" but I cannot see it in my create menu. What do I do?

A: Gizmos are actually in the helpers rollout. There you will find a box, a sphere and a cylider gizmo object.

Tip: To get easier acces to such things as creating objects, modifiers, helpers, lights, rendering etc, press "y". This will bring up panels with nice colorfull icons for the things that are mostly used. Note that not everything is in those panels. It's just the most common stuff but thats usually quite enough.

Happy threedying
Old 04-04-2003, 02:43 PM   #7
Incitatus
Murdoch? That crazy fool!

Q: I have a scene with lots of materials, in fact all the material slots in the editor are full, but I need more. How?

A: Once a material is assigned to an object it can safely be deleted/removed form the material editor.
Just press the delete button (the small x) and select 'Affect only mtl/map in the editor slot?'

Tip: To bring that material back to the editor either click the eyedropper tool on the object which has the material assigned or click the 'Get Material' button (globe with arrow) and select 'scene' from the menu on the left.

Liv

www.lastgreatwar.net
Incitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:34 PM   #8
Net Admiral

Q: I'm trying to move Objects/sub-objects in perspective viewport but max snaps the pivot so far even if I move the cursor slowly, and I am not using snap function!

A: Perspective viewport still has some bugs which cause such strange behaviors sometimes so when you have such action just restart max or switch to another viewport such as user viewport then return to perspetive
________
BODY SCIENCE

Last edited by Net Admiral; 19-04-2011 at 09:44 PM..
Net Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:50 PM   #9
Net Admiral

: I've added a Video post filter to my scene but I can not see it at rendering!!

A: To make video post filters appear at rendering you have to use "excute sequence" button in veideo post window instead of using "shift+Q"..and if u r making animation you should create an output file in video post window as well..(locate "add image output event" button)
________
Gay studs

Old 06-04-2003, 11:20 PM   #10
Net Admiral

Q: The transform gizmo toggle moves on one axis while the other two is turned off, What should I do to turn them on again?

A: Press "X"
________
Vapir no2

Old 06-04-2003, 11:30 PM   #11
Net Admiral

Q: The transform gizmo toggle is too big/small for its object how could I change its size?

A: Press "=(equals sign)/- (minus sign) to change transform gizmo size up and down.
________
Nexium settlement news

Last edited by Net Admiral; 19-04-2011 at 09:45 PM..
Old 07-04-2003, 12:01 AM   #12
Net Admiral

Q: Some of the interface menus have gone how could I turn them back?

A: Press customize button and from the dropdown menu choose "Load custom UI scheme" and from the opened window double click "DefaultUI.ui"

Tip: Max UI (User Interface) could be changed and customized to fit different demands and work enviroments. check the other UI (User Interface) schemes.
________
Osteoporosis forums

Last edited by Net Admiral; 19-04-2011 at 09:45 PM..
Old 16-04-2003, 01:44 AM   #13
Little Nicky
PG Rated

Send a message via ICQ to Little Nicky
Q: I have a mesh with intentionally deleted faces. But when I render, you can't see the inside of my mesh, i.e., the background leaks through. What's wrong?

A: This is due to faces being only one-sided, which speeds up the rendering process. When you try to render the other side, it is invisible. To fix this, go to the material editor and select the material assigned to the mesh in question. Tick the "Two Sided" or "Double Sided" box up near the top.

Tip: You can see which way a face is facing (pun not intended) by assigning a Normals modifier to you mesh, then ticking "Show Normals". Lines will appear coming out of each face in the direction it is facing. You can also use this modifier to flip all or some of the faces selectively, if you do not wish to use the "Two Sided" setting.
Old 29-04-2003, 07:15 PM   #14
shauryashaurya

Q: I need to make a number of copies of a given object along a path (eg. chains, garlands or fences) or with a specific distribution in space (eg. staircases - both linear and spiral, stacks of books, pages etc.). What do I do?

Ans: Easy as pie. Use the Spacing tool for the former case, and array tool for the latter case.Both are fairly easy to use and quiet easy to understand.

You are the fairest of your sex,
Let me be your hero.
I love you as one over x,
as x approaches zero.
(+vely)

Its not nonsense, but its senseless

shauryashaurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:56 AM   #15
fabrizzzio
The Dr. Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to fabrizzzio Send a message via Yahoo to fabrizzzio
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com 
Total Awards: 1
Q: I need to know how many faces have the geometry of my whole scene, or an object or a group of objects... How can I do this?

Go to the Utilities Panel, and after press more button, select "polygon counter". There you got the number of faces you need to know.

Cheers!
fabrizzzio is offline   Reply With Quote