>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > General software and hardware help

Old 12-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #61
Phatsniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgor
Q: How do I render those amazing wireframes everyone's getting?

Force wire frame in the render dialog sure doesn't give me what I'm after. I don't want to see through the object. I just want to see the edges on the surface.
I know it's an old question but I'll answer it anyway.

A: Duplicate your object and add a Push modifier. Set a very small amount and apply a wireframe material to the object, this will draw the wireframe over the textured model.
Phatsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #62
MartinP2
Worldmaker

Send a message via MSN to MartinP2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatsniper
I know it's an old question but I'll answer it anyway.

A: Duplicate your object and add a Push modifier. Set a very small amount and apply a wireframe material to the object, this will draw the wireframe over the textured model.
I know a better way for this and its easier becouse you don't need to copy all of your objects...well the method based on the mantal-ray-renderer...set it to use it...(hope I don't need to tell how...) and create a "composite"-type mat. and set the base material's diffuse the color you want...and go uot and into the first mat. and set it black and check wireframe...and thanks for the mentalray-renderer it will be "printed" on the base mat...then you can play with tha wire thickness in the advenced settings rollout...

get out the best ever...

Projects going on:

- P39 Aircobra

Projects finished:

- Toyota Celica M edition (studio)
MartinP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 03:58 AM   #63
Rulerian

Hello (first post)
my transform gizmo is gone (x wont bring it back)
Thanks.

Edit: I fixed the problem by removing my ini file and restarting max.

Last edited by Rulerian; 24-09-2006 at 07:23 AM..
Rulerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #64
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
is there any way to force max 9/2008 to default to NOT loading biped pose collections?
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #65
zeyadalsheikh

shadow

how can I get a shadow of an object without a ground beneath it? i.e a gradian environment.?
zeyadalsheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #66
brentagain
Banned.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
create a plane to act as a ground and assign a matte material to it.
This way the shadow will render but the plane won`t.
brentagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:26 AM   #67
zeyadalsheikh

Vray

What are the differences between the defualt scanline renderer and Vray? and which one is the faster and better for results?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #68
Antediluvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyadalsheikh View Post
What are the differences between the defualt scanline renderer and Vray? and which one is the faster and better for results?
Honestly, the differences are too great to list in a post, but look here for more info on vray - http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/. And in my opinion, Vray would be the better of the two for the speed to quality ratio.
Antediluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #69
zeyadalsheikh

can any body tell me how can I get a new material in the material editor more than 28 ones ( slots ).. cause 3ds Max material editor doesn't show more than 28 slots on its window in one scene..
Old 03-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #70
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
easy,
just use the "Reset Map/Mtl to default settings" button to clear a slot that you can then use - it won't destroy the material in the scene unless you ask it to.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #71
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
You can also clear all the materials, and from then on just use the material picker to edit a certain object's material. It takes a bit getting used to, but you're no longer limited to the available slots.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #72
zeyadalsheikh

I am so lucky to have such golden friends in this forum.. thanks so much guys for your invaluable help (poopipe & Freespace )..
There is anothor question... why when I render my animation to avi. a kind of moving pixels showing up even if I used high resolution? they really distort the whole clip.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #73
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
It's the compression of the avi file. Never render to avi, because in case of a power loss, system reboot, max crash or even bad compression ( like your case right now ), you need to re-render the entire sequence again. Instead, render to a sequence of image files, like .tga or .jpg. Then simply convert those to avi with software like Premiere, AfterFX, Combustion, or even the freeware Radvideo Bink.

Glad to be of help!

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #74
zeyadalsheikh

thanks brother.. I'll try your advice and get you fed up with results..
Old 05-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #75
zeyadalsheikh

I tried to make an avi clip by collecting targa images that I render in 3ds Max by using Ulead Media Sudio, but when it finished creating video file.. the real one player played it so slow, you can't even notice that there is an animation, I tried to manipulate with the frame rate ( NTCS 30 FPS ) but it didn't work.. help me fulks...