>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > After the Smoke Clears - Jan 2010 > After the Smoke Clears - Speed Modelling

Old 29-01-2010, 06:20 AM   #46
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Send a message via Yahoo to hammering3D
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
but this is not a low poly challenge, the low poly chalenge exist and is part of 3dtotal challenges but is not this challenge, so this is more an hi poly challenge. (thats why the clay render is very important). An people don't mostly end up with low poly model if u check the treads people mostly end up with hi poly models with all the details (every bolt and hole cut up in the mesh), tring to keep the mesh very clean.
hammering3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #47
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #91 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #03 After the Smoke Clears 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammering3D View Post
but this is not a low poly challenge, the low poly chalenge exist and is part of 3dtotal challenges but is not this challenge, so this is more an hi poly challenge. (thats why the clay render is very important). An people don't mostly end up with low poly model if u check the treads people mostly end up with hi poly models with all the details (every bolt and hole cut up in the mesh), tring to keep the mesh very clean.
Hrmm, these people are very talented to be able to do all the details in 4 hours =/
bakuryu06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #48
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
talented and fast, and more of that they like i was, they copy and reuse many part of the model over and over again, to speed the things up, if u watch old speed modeling challenges where the time was 60min, u'd be amaze how amazing models people produce in 60min.
Old 29-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #49
noyb
User

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by berendey View Post
I think it is necessary to introduce video recording! Its only 240 mins. Enough only 1 frame per minute. Your work will be only 4 mins video. And anybody can watch this.

No textures, no post. Only clay, wire and maybe studio render shots. It is important to make clear topology for smooth, but not beauty textures and some post effects. This is my opinion don't beat me

I've always liked the idea of doing a video capture, it would be a great learning tool and keep people honest. However, all the capture tools that I've used significantly slowed down my computer which made it tough to work fast (though I've never tried doing 1 frame per minute).
Old 29-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #50
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Total Awards: 2
I also think video capture would be a good idea, always fun to see the way other people model. Altough 1 frame per minutes may be not enough, maybe 2 or 3 frames per minutes would be nice.
MightyReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #51
JAPO

Send a message via ICQ to JAPO
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge!  
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakuryu06 View Post
Hrmm, these people are very talented to be able to do all the details in 4 hours =/
I think it was Black3Dt who once said "Biggest compliment you may get in this challenge is if somebody tells you that you could not have done the model in 60 minutes"
As for the level of details, yes, it is incredible sometimes but in most cases I am able to reverse engineer the model based on wire and clay and say how I would be able to do it. I say most, not all.

- As for the recording, my opinions concernign this are both for and against. For because you get rid of "how the hell did he do that?" Against because it creates "oh he did that in the minute between frame 12 and 13. If recording was to work, it would have to be full 25 or 30 fps. And then it will block the computer. So instead of making things more fair, this will favour people with stronger computers and faster harddisks.

- As for keeping people honest... if someone was dishonest before, do you really think they wont speed up the movie? Let me demonstrate. At 25 fps you record 240 minutes on 360000 frames. On 30fps you record 432000 frames. BUT if you play the 360000 frames at 30 fps, you get 200 minutes movie. Nobody will tell the difference and nobody will have a clue, because both are default settings of different systems. And to make things worse... this "wrong playback speed" can be embedded into the movie clip by accident. It happened to me before and I wondered why the hell my animation was significantly shorter than the sound track while the frame count was correct. So i think this point is valid only for those who cant load image sequence at 25 frames and output it at 30.
I would not use this tactic... but I would not take movie clips as proof either. If I know, everybody knows. So I would be back to square 1 relying on everybodys honesty.

But before you go deeper into how to solve recording problem, let me ask you this: What was the recording supposed to solve? Will it solve public voting, or normal maps? Was there a honesty issue I missed? I am getting lost in here as to what are you solving, or whether this is just a new unrelated problem.
JAPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #52
czacen

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: 100 posts Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 03 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  
Just for information, I had initially used video captures for all my entries of the SMC#01. I had put them up there to specifically show that the time taken was indeed within the time limit. The files were around 160-200mb each for a 640by480 camtasia record of 2 hours.

My 2 Cents:

However as to your concern over people doing way more modeling than seems possible in 4 hours, you might want to look into the wireframe images more carefully. This is the place where you can tell how people have conserved time while working. I personally trust that the 3D total judges are also people of the same capacity who can analyze this and deduce who has submitted something that does not seem possible within the time limit.

As with the issue of normal maps and the background models, perhaps it makes more sense to only ask or clay and wire submissions? Since during final judging its these images that are reviewed, but during public voting people tend to be persuaded by the beauty shot more causing a conflict of judging parameters.

My gripe at the moment is more with the file size limitation of 195kb jpeg. I honestly can't understand why this can't be made 500kb at least? My wireframe shots tend to not fit within the size capacity at all, leaving me to save them at low quality 1 and 2 settings in photoshop. Can we get this restriction revised?

Machine Blog

Last edited by czacen; 30-01-2010 at 01:06 PM..
czacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #53
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Awards Showcase
czacen - u can use save for web function and there u have the optimization thing, and if u set it up to 195k then Photoshop it will save it near 195k at maximum quality in this size, and it look allot better then using seatings like: low, medium, h, very hi.
Old 30-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #54
gauravcg
Tessellated....

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
Guys where is the final entry thread?

Low Poly Props (Updated)

gauravcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #55
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Awards Showcase
is not up yet
Old 30-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #56
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 1st Place SMC #91 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #03 After the Smoke Clears 
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacen View Post
My gripe at the moment is more with the file size limitation of 195kb jpeg. I honestly can't understand why this can't be made 500kb at least? My wireframe shots tend to not fit within the size capacity at all, leaving me to save them at low quality 1 and 2 settings in photoshop. Can we get this restriction revised?

Thank you so much! I thought I was the only one in this boat since i saw not a single post addressing this issue, I didn't want to be "that person" to bring it up. I completely agree with you bro. We should have the option of uploading it on our own servers and then linking them.

Last edited by bakuryu06; 30-01-2010 at 03:10 PM..
Old 30-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #57
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Awards Showcase
I did't say that , czacen did
They not allowed outside linking because if u delete the images after some time or the traffic reach the limit they will end up with threads without images.
Old 30-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #58
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacen View Post

I spoke stupid tings before, U are right, my wire look very bad to at the 195k
Old 31-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #59
bakuryu06

Awards Showcase
is the deadline Jan. 31st 11:59PM? or tonight at 11:59?
Old 31-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #60
hammering3D
I belong to nobody ...

Awards Showcase
Jan. 31st 11:59PM, but I think GMT so see the time zone.