>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 24-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #16
M3N7H0L5
eatin' ain't cheatin'

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
damn..I need to lay down for a while...
Old 24-06-2008, 01:07 AM   #17
Korda

Mantis- just that the statue can stand without needing external support. So something like a ballerina would probably not be free standing because there would be very little surface area touching the ground.

You need at least two.
Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 01:13 AM   #18
MonteCristo
Can't stay away.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Sticking with us through the years and being generally cool! (and not to forget, being a super human moderator too!) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII artwork featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII final renders featured on the frontpage The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For the Countess. The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For successfully repping Threedy on the Mini Challenge #2. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: To try and temp you to come back again! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
Great challenge, I hope I can find some time to make something.

But I got a question, what is a "free-standing" statue and what is not?

Thank you.
By free-standing I mean: Not a part of a larger structure, and able to support it's own weight.
Old 24-06-2008, 01:21 AM   #19
Mantis

Thank you Korda and Montecristo, I'm feeling less dumb
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 01:54 AM   #20
capitan_popo
3d junkie

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
Cant Wait 2 Get Started!!!
Old 24-06-2008, 02:02 AM   #21
Korda

Hey,
Im thinking that it would be kinda cool to continue the story monte started to get our imaginations going to accompany our sculpts or concepts.
You dont have to if you think its a crappy idea but it could be interesting to see just how disturbing you people are

so here is mine

'As I emerged into a twilight landscape, the night mists were already abroad, rising swiftly as they were from the fringes of the cemetery and slipping across its graves like cobwebs. In the West, a murder of crows made wing towards the failing sun, until, within that wooded horizon their black forms were lost amidst an ancient battalion of pines that stood vast and unmoving, the shadows beneath their boughs ancient and impenetrable. I stepped out of the small archway and on to cobbles. Ahead of me, a countless array of statues marked an arrow-straight path to a vast but distant portal, beyond which the flames of a nightmare realm beckoned; my first glimpse of the place I had travelled so far to find.
Yet, there was no one to guard it. There were only these statues, a rank of curious visions frozen in stone. What were they, I asked myself, the fallen victims to a quest such as mine? The sleeping guardians of this realm? Or were they merely visions of the nightmares that awaited me: a silent warning that I should turn back now?
Within five paces I had reached the first. I looked up...'

A young girl holds a flower in both hands presenting it forward as if it were a gift. The flower is withered and broken, her hands are bleeding from where the thorns have dug into her flesh. She seems unaware of the pain for she is smiling, innocent and carefree. Yet there is something subtle about her that haunts me more than the violent and gruesome images I expected to see, a look of immense dread in her dead eyes. I tear my gaze from hers unable to rid myself of the all consuming feeling of despair that her silent scream wove upon me. I steel myself for the torment that await and walk on, unaware of the horror that shadows her.

You need at least two.

Last edited by Korda; 24-06-2008 at 02:40 AM..
Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #22
skullbeast
ghost......

wip
www.skullbeast.com
Vampyre... 3d video
myspace
Lucifer render...

Last edited by skullbeast; 30-07-2008 at 03:04 PM..
skullbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #23
DeviousFish

Hey everyone
Started to hack at it and rough it out. ~30 minutes.
Attached Images

DeviousFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #24
chai
3d Game Artist

This one is going to be intense, a bit scary without the restriction though tbh :/
Feels a bit out of my league ...

Last edited by chai; 24-06-2008 at 06:13 AM..
chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #25
neolith
h4xx0r

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Wow,this sounds like the most difficult and creative challenge so far.Too bad i got exams the next 1,5 weeks,but i'll definetely try something on this theme even if i dont enter it.Good luck everyone,this is gonna be so awesome

Quote:
something wrongI think
neolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #26
JHarford
Director@Airship

Send a message via MSN to JHarford
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Whipslash bane featured on top row The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Rick whipslash bane was on the top row of the forums The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Posting a video in the Sculpting thread The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My skateboard model was featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Female thread up on plug bar 
Total Awards: 11
holy ****, this is freaking awesome
this will sort the men from the boys!!
JHarford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #27
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
hehe sounds awsome.
Old 24-06-2008, 07:47 AM   #28
kazmamurat

hahah, great idea,

I've never tried a sculpt like this, it will be a real fun and a chance to see my present limits.

good luck to everyone,
kazmamurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #29
DELTATHUND3R

Very hard this one is...I cant wait too see what ppl come up with..heres a idea im toying with..had a spare 40 mins so I came up with this..
DELTATHUND3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 08:37 AM   #30
M3N7H0L5
eatin' ain't cheatin'

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Now I can start thinking of this one