>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 10-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #31
DELTATHUND3R

I cant wait too ya change ya voting system it kinda is pretty bad.Nepatizm all the way I think happens here.A bunch of judges that have nothing to do with any sculpters would be great...But as It stands its a little biast ..
DELTATHUND3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #32
mafida
nic mi sie nie chce:p

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge 15 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #2 - 3rd Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge ''demonic overseer'' 
Total Awards: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathe View Post
Sorry i forgot the link from that thread wasnt working.

you can download it from the pixologic download page or from here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T9FAB0PE

It Basically takes a thumbnail over the coarse of the sculpt with a timestamp on.
Ok i downloaded and instaled script,double clicked on script icon and maybe its stupid question but where this thumbnail is saved???

ps.sorry for my english
mafida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:17 AM   #33
gnome
Stray Soul

Send a message via ICQ to gnome Send a message via MSN to gnome
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge ''Wrestling Move'' 
Total Awards: 3
And what about other software, aside from zbrush?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #34
skullbeast
ghost......

maybe just every hour one post. The progress should be the judge of time.
www.skullbeast.com
Vampyre... 3d video
myspace
Lucifer render...

Last edited by skullbeast; 11-07-2008 at 02:38 AM..
skullbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #35
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
People can just lie about at what stage they are at though :/

Really i think the only way for it to be 100% no one can cheat this ******* is to open the competition and brief....then allow 4 hours until the deadline. hhehehe its crazy but its full proof...Unfortunately due to timezones, schedules this will also not work.

Another way would be to force everyone to do the full 4 hours in one hit...So you make your "Im entering post" then you HAVE to have posted the final roughly 4 hours after that.
we can judge the time easily based on post times.
If you cant spend the full 4 hours tough diddums, you enter what you got.

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:22 AM   #36
spider2544

Sathe: unfortunately that doesn't work either, cause a person could just store up their screen grabs and just post them whenever they want.

i think the only sure fire way to make it work, is to have people do a video of their sculpt no matter what. that way someone could pause the video and sculpt if they wanted to go get a coffee or a snack break. or the person could pause the video for spots when they needed to go get an alpha that they didn't have prepped when they started.

if you record 4 hours of actual sculpting time, that should make things more legit, and harder for people to bend the rules.then the person could speed up their videos with time stamps on it to show that they didn't cheat, and we all could learn from them.

if we do scripts for Zbrush, then people who use mudbox would have a problem. so there should be an option available to them to.
spider2544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:28 AM   #37
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Yeh i thought it over and freespace face palmed me with that doh knowledge :P

With Timelapse videos how can we know by what time things have been sped up also?
I Mean, Due to the Mudbox/Zbrush crossover different programs would be used and such.
If we could find a program we ALL had to use with predefined settings then that could be sweet, id totaly still enter

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:40 AM   #38
skullbeast
ghost......

Are their "no" honest men left?
www.skullbeast.com
Vampyre... 3d video
myspace
Lucifer render...
Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #39
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Yeah, I really think people are thinking too much into this. There are ALWAYS going to be ways for people to cheat. I think if we are going about ways to try and prevent it, like posting every hour, or recording your zBrushing sessions, we're going to alienate a lot of people from the competition.

It's not like this is the BAR exam, I think people can be trusted enough to stay below a 4 hour limit in a small sculpting competition....if they can't I'm sure we'll be able to see the added time.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:24 AM   #40
pap87

Exactly. I think it's obvious who cheats and who doesn't.

I say keep things as they are, simple. No stringent time keeping. It's enough to rely on the artist's honesty.
So someone cheats. So be it. Chances are it's not going to get chosen to win is it?

In truth there is no foolproof way to stop someone from cheating is there?

Last edited by pap87; 11-07-2008 at 05:26 AM..
pap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #41
skullbeast
ghost......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pap87 View Post
Exactly. I think it's obvious who cheats and who doesn't.

I say keep things as they are, simple. No stringent time keeping. It's enough to rely on the artist's honesty.
So someone cheats. So be it. Chances are it's not going to get chosen to win is it?

In truth there is no foolproof way to stop someone from cheating is there?
You said it!
www.skullbeast.com
Vampyre... 3d video
myspace
Lucifer render...
Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #42
MonteCristo
Can't stay away.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Sticking with us through the years and being generally cool! (and not to forget, being a super human moderator too!) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII artwork featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII final renders featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For the Countess. The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For successfully repping Threedy on the Mini Challenge #2. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: To try and temp you to come back again! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider2544 View Post
Sathe: unfortunately that doesn't work either, cause a person could just store up their screen grabs and just post them whenever they want.

i think the only sure fire way to make it work, is to have people do a video of their sculpt no matter what. that way someone could pause the video and sculpt if they wanted to go get a coffee or a snack break. or the person could pause the video for spots when they needed to go get an alpha that they didn't have prepped when they started.

if you record 4 hours of actual sculpting time, that should make things more legit, and harder for people to bend the rules.then the person could speed up their videos with time stamps on it to show that they didn't cheat, and we all could learn from them.

if we do scripts for Zbrush, then people who use mudbox would have a problem. so there should be an option available to them to.
Problem is those time-lapse videos tend to be a big hit on memory. I tried to record my Venger modelling, as proof of how much time I had taken, and that caused my Zbrush to crash eventually. Also crashed the time-lapse. So I had nothing. Now, if I went back to an earlier version, which I had to do, I would have lost my video. Bang goes my proof and therefore,if the rule dictates I HAVE to have proof, bang goes my entry too.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #43
Tom-3DT
aka 'nosewalker'

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: On behalf of the Threedy Community for making such a brilliant site, and sticking with it. Kudos! Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. 
Total Awards: 5
I'm all up for keeping it just how it is and following the honesty route, the main part of these challenges are that they are fun and a learning tool, the prizes are not huge like with DW so I really think it will still work (and it keeps things simple too).

What we need to do is give it a trail run! Lets hope the other forums are up for it, we will let you know very soon!

Tom
Tom-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #44
MonteCristo
Can't stay away.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Sticking with us through the years and being generally cool! (and not to forget, being a super human moderator too!) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII artwork featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII final renders featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For the Countess. The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For successfully repping Threedy on the Mini Challenge #2. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: To try and temp you to come back again! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 14
Fair enough. Sounds like a plan. It's not like we could find a solution anyway.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #45
pap87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo-3DT View Post
Problem is those time-lapse videos tend to be a big hit on memory. I tried to record my Venger modelling, as proof of how much time I had taken, and that caused my Zbrush to crash eventually. Also crashed the time-lapse. So I had nothing. Now, if I went back to an earlier version, which I had to do, I would have lost my video. Bang goes my proof and therefore,if the rule dictates I HAVE to have proof, bang goes my entry too.
What I like to do is export every hour and close and reopen ZBrush just to be sure when I'm recording.
pap87 is offline   Reply With Quote