>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 31-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Total Awards: 3
THE Sculpting Challenge 008: 'A Sculpt is Born'

Welcome to THE Eighth Sculpting Challenge. Whether you're new to sculpting, to the Threedy forums, or you're a seasoned veteran, come and join in on the Sculpting madness – there's plenty of fun and learning to be had by all!

The Rules:
1. The competition will last two weeks, which will be allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting for the entries – at which point the next competition will start.

2. The moderators will be supplying a base mesh for each competition, from which everyone will start sculpting. This is so we all get an equal start and it keeps us on topic. This week's base mesh was originally provided by Classic Gamer-3DT and adapted by Jesse Sandifer to a simple egg-shaped base mesh which has been shelled into two pieces, with an extra edge-loop next to the opening to give you enough res to work with. Accompanying the base mesh this challenge is a simple egg-interior base mesh, which is quite simply an eye base mesh which has been unified into the right scale and size for the purposes of this challenge. You must work only with the base meshes provided and must not add any additional base meshes or Subtools! We simply want you to crack open your egg and sculpt a creation from your own imagination!

3. There will be a time limit for the sculpting. Spend no longer than the allocated time limit, then post a screen-grab of your model. No cheating – we are relying on your honesty here!

4. Do not add any meshes other than those sanctioned in this competition brief.

5. As the base meshes show, the sculpt this time is a simple egg and its interior – you can create whatever you want from the supplied base meshes, but do not add any additional Subtools or base meshes. We basically want to see what you can do when we ask you to give life to a sculpt of your own creation, starting from a simple egg!

6. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging – let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt! What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpt you can produce "under pressure". If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognisable and on topic.

7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it. It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labelling etc., but do not add any post-production to the images themselves. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "manage attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external image files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.

8. You can have multiple entries, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.

9. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here and your FINAL entry in the Submissions thread, once it has been set up later on in the Challenge.

These rules apply to everybody taking part – there will be NO exceptions!

We've attached the supplied base meshes at the bottom of this post. Take it and go subdivide!

Prize:
A hard cover copy of Digital Art Masters: Volume 3!

The Brief:
[B]Time limit: 4 hours
Start Date: 31st August, 17:00 GMT+0 TBC
Deadline: 14th September, 11:59 PM GMT+0 TBC (For information about GMT click here)
Subject: A Sculpt is Born!
This time, we make you a God! That’s right, we have the power to do that, and we want you all to hatch your very own hatchling – be it of known or unknown, earthling or alien, past, present or future origin. We’ll give you an egg and its interior and that’s all – we want to see what you can do when we keep it as simple as this! Let’s see how you guys really think when we give you free reign over the subject of your hatchling and, quite simply, let you play God!

Thanks goes to MonteCristo this time who came up with this great challenge concept! It’s all about simplicity for us and maximum creativity for you! We keep it simple and you guys reap the rewards as we let you conjure up whatever your heart desires. Let your imagination run free and take advantage of the openness of this theme, as we may not have another like this for a while, so get crackin’ (see what I did there?) and hatch yourself something weird and wonderful! … Or grotesque and slimy … Or if you fancy playing it safe then that’s fine, too; you can create anything from a chick (I’m thinking more of the winged variety here, cheeky boys) to an alien, an ostrich to a dragon … it’s entirely up to you! Be creative and see where your mind takes you!

As always, time is of the essence – speed is the nature of this game, after all! You’ve got another 2 weeks to get yourselves hatching your eggs and creating “something” that will potentially win you first place! The time limit for this speed sculpting challenge is 4 hours – I think that’s plenty of time. You can of course spend some time beforehand on your research – we’re just limiting your sculpting time, not your brain food, so why not get on this one now and stop losing time? And if you don’t like the first sculpt then, do another? We don’t limit the number of sculpts you create for any challenge, but we do say you can only submit one for the final submissions. But hey, if you’re given the opportunity to bring life to anything your mind can create, then why not go for it and create a whole species? That way you can get some great feedback, improve your chances and post your favourite one in the Final Submissions thread! And let’s see… you’ve got 2 weeks to create a sculpt, so at 4 hours per sculpt, what’s that…? 336 hours!? You could create 112 sculpts in that time! Who needs sleep?!

OK, so seriously, let’s get cracking these eggs and hatching some life forms – of whatever genre you like! If you want to go for 1st place then have a look at the previous sculpting challenges in the archives and get yourself a good idea of what people look for in a good sculpt! Then do a little thinking (it’s OK if it hurts – it just means your brain is working), and then do a lot of sculpting!

As it’s a simple one this time, you’ve got your egg and its interior and that’s it! There must be no adding of extra meshes or Subtools, other than what has been supplied, as we’ve made sure you’ve got enough res to work with, so get crackin’!

The Mesh:
Your base meshes are attached to this post - simply click on the attachments at the end of this post, save the files and you're on your way!

The base mesh was originally created by ClassicGamer-3DT, and has been tweaked by Jesse Sandifer into two base meshes: Eggsplit.obj is the egg split into two shelled pieces with an extra edge loop next to the opening to give you ebough res to work with. Egginsides.obj is just an eye mesh, used in other challenges, and has been all unified into the right scale and size for the specific purpose of this challenge. You just need to take both of these .obj files into your ZBrush or Mudbox scene, and get started!

Please also note that you mustn't add any more objects! Use only what has been provided and nothing more!! This is the challenge after all!

Any problems, gimme a shout - lynette@3dtotal.com
Attention!! Your base meshes are here:
Attached Files
File Type: obj egginsides.OBJ (31.4 KB, 484 views)
File Type: obj eggsplit.OBJ (121.6 KB, 480 views)

Last edited by Lynette-3dt; 31-08-2008 at 04:45 PM..
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
oddity
Banned.

So the egg mesh has to remain a general recognisable egg shape then, and only the other one can be sculpted into a creature?
This is pretty tough for me, I don't practice this sort of stuff, i.e. just taking a sphere and sculpting something complex out of it, but it'll be a good skill to learn.
oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
capitan_popo
3d junkie

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
Total Awards: 1
GREAT THEME this challange
Old 31-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
cojoMan

Send a message via Yahoo to cojoMan
nice one
so let's go
Old 31-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
skulll_monster

Send a message via MSN to skulll_monster Send a message via Yahoo to skulll_monster
i love the subject !...i want to be in !
skulll_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
neolith
h4xx0r

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Weird theme Let's see how i'll be able to handle this...

Quote:
something wrongI think
neolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
DELTATHUND3R

should be interesting.I like the idea .
DELTATHUND3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddity View Post
So the egg mesh has to remain a general recognisable egg shape then, and only the other one can be sculpted into a creature?
This is pretty tough for me, I don't practice this sort of stuff, i.e. just taking a sphere and sculpting something complex out of it, but it'll be a good skill to learn.
Nope, the egg doesn't have to remain recognisable - you can use both the provided base meshes as you wish to create your hatchlings! If you'd like to keep the egg mesh intact, that's fine! If you want to crack it and have your hatchling coming out of the mesh, that's fine too! Or if you want to use the base meshes provided to create a little being that is no longer in the egg, then again, that's totally cool as well! We're really just opening the brief up this time to see what you can all come up with.

By the way everyone: any problems with the base meshes, please do let me know at lynette@3dtotal.com so I can sort it out for you!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
HighPolyBear

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! 
Total Awards: 1
Create a creature from a single sphere should be pretty tought. Intersting what i can do with this.
HighPolyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
oddity
Banned.

Nothing else to do this morning, so...
It's nowhere near finished obviously, but 4 hours from a sphere is pretty tough going.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 7
oddity - nice starter !!! - in the face it reminds me of Yoda a little bit
Old 01-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
oddity
Banned.

Maybe Data's not the only one with an evil brother...
I should point out the logic behind the concept, which is that imps (this is a species of imp) just like reptiles, hatch from eggs looking like miniature replicas of their parents.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
oh this is really cool!! great work! i'm so pleased everyone is getting the hang of it - I was worried we may have gone for a bit of an odd topic, but glad you're getting into it. looking forward to seeing more from everyone soon! hope you enjoy it! the next challenge is going to be pretty different, so stay tuned!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
iatriki

Thumbs up

nice one , oddity!
iatriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #15
N's R

Oddity, that looks great.
Agree about timelimit. it's hard to finish a piece in such time from those meshes.

Here is the model that i've started. Not so creative =) Copying the banner image of challenge.
50min for each part so 1h40m at the moment. I've used 2 parts of the egg to make each. Probably i'll use the other sphere for the tail of facehugger.
Attached Images

N's R is offline   Reply With Quote