>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #16
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
Just to make sure i understand this clearly. We make a base mesh ( a bust ) of a character's face, or characters torso, or weapon, but not a full character? This bust will include both base meshes.

Now..........here is MY BIG question. Can we make something as simple as a cube, and say...sculpt it, make it look cool. Subtract, or by some other mean create a another subtool ( which will be the second mesh ) Then go ahead and retopologize stuff using zbrush, and would that count as both THE final 2 base meshes?

Also, if we are doing this base mesh stuff, and since this is for a game, are we having to uv map and bake normal maps?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Quote:
Just to make sure i understand this clearly. We make a base mesh ( a bust ) of a character's face, or characters torso, or weapon, but not a full character? This bust will include both base meshes.

Now..........here is MY BIG question. Can we make something as simple as a cube, and say...sculpt it, make it look cool. Subtract, or by some other mean create a another subtool ( which will be the second mesh ) Then go ahead and retopologize stuff using zbrush, and would that count as both THE final 2 base meshes?

Also, if we are doing this base mesh stuff, and since this is for a game, are we having to uv map and bake normal maps?
To clarify things, you must make one or two base meshes, that can be anything ( from a face, bust, to entire body if you want to ). The second mesh is there for support, in case you need it for whatever ( weapon, accessory, maybe it's a tricky character that needs two pieces ).

Once you start sculpting, you cannot edit your base mesh with substractions, etc.

This is a video game inspired topic, as in you choose your favourite character. That's all, you don't do this for a game, so no need for uvs, baking, or anything. Just sculpting.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #18
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: i won second in the heat is on speed moddeling 
Total Awards: 2
freespace.... my cintiq should be here by monday im so happy if you want a tip look on ebay for one i got a few hundred off mine

DOM WAR THREAD PLEASE SUPPORT
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82649

THE MORE SUPPORT I GET THE MORE THE BANANA DANCES
liquidbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #19
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidbear View Post
freespace.... my cintiq should be here by monday im so happy if you want a tip look on ebay for one i got a few hundred off mine
Does that include warranty?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #20
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: i won second in the heat is on speed moddeling 
Total Awards: 2
yep 1 year boxed and sealed if u want i will give the ebay shop link/user where i got it

DOM WAR THREAD PLEASE SUPPORT
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82649

THE MORE SUPPORT I GET THE MORE THE BANANA DANCES
liquidbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #21
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the tip, but I'll still wait a bit for my Cintiq. Got my Intuos 4 to keep me company for now. ( Very happy with it's performance -> challenge poster for example )

Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #22
Raul

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Woo! just sculpting! That's what i wanted to hear!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #23
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
< Challenge extended to the 20th September >

Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #24
Raul

Awards Showcase
By the way, from a hardcore "xsi" user. Autodesk named it softimage autodesk. On the rules u mentioned xsi. Is no big deal. Just know that its going by softimage now!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #25
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Force of habit It's been XSI since forever.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #26
CleT0

Send a message via MSN to CleT0
Hello! I have a question.. Can i create the secound mesh with extract or retopology or i have to start with it?
CleT0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #27
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Your second mesh should be created from zero, just like the first mesh.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #28
Anoxic

Sounds good, i would really like to get involved on this forum. so i hope i can get a final submission in..

good luck all
Anoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 AM   #29
dPunisher

Hey.. got a question.. can we just use Zspheres to create the 'base mesh' stuff? It's quick, simple and don't have to worry about symetry and stuff...
dPunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:49 AM   #30
gumby666

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
Just bought myself a new system last weekend as my old one disappeared into a cloud of smoke! This'll give me the perfect chance to put it through it's paces!!

This challenge will be a good way to see how everyone works with their base meshes through to 'final' (and get a few tips on what I'm doing wrong).

What's the ruling on using characters from films/books/comics that have been adapted to games (ie: Wolverine, Transformers, Hellboy etc)? Do we need to use character developed solely for gaming or does this crossover make a character ok to sculpt?
gumby666 is offline   Reply With Quote