>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
Sooo BiG ToE... where should I start my thread? I'd like to get started with posting.

And how should I name the thread?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #17
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
poopipe:
"3000 tris total for character, weapons, and gear. 1024x1024 for diffuse, specular color, specular level, glow, bump, opacity, and ambient color. Example, one 1024 diffuse sheet, one 1024 spec sheet, one 1024 Gloss sheet, etc. No Normal map sheets allowed."

I think normal maps are not allowed.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #18
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordero View Post
Sooo BiG ToE... where should I start my thread? I'd like to get started with posting.

And how should I name the thread?
Wips are in this thread... like the sculpting challenge (that is the one threedy had long time ago)

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordero View Post
poopipe:
"3000 tris total for character, weapons, and gear. 1024x1024 for diffuse, specular color, specular level, glow, bump, opacity, and ambient color. Example, one 1024 diffuse sheet, one 1024 spec sheet, one 1024 Gloss sheet, etc. No Normal map sheets allowed."

I think normal maps are not allowed.
I think you're right

good.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #20
Cordero

Awards Showcase
hulahuga If thats the case, then I'll post here.

These are the 3 shapes I was thinking. I'll probably go with the frog dude, give him a big shield or two.
I don't know if its alright to make non human characters. But its not a problem, since I can easily deform a human to fit this frog shape
I was thinking, that this frog dude could jump right in to the middle of the enemy lines, and there using maybe two shields to knock the enemy down, and let someone else from the following army behind the Frog do the rest of the job. I think that frogs are kind of "intellectual" () so he could have tons of awards, and ranks, representing the "general" word in the War General class.

And still, because of his mass, and lots of armor, he could still do a lot of impact when stomping to the ground, knocking everyone down around him.
I'd like to mix both tough and fun in one character, and I think that this Frog character is capable of that.

I highlighted the words which I'm after, and which I'll emphasize.

What do you think of the shape, keywords and the idea so far?
Attached Images

Last edited by Cordero; 10-11-2010 at 09:38 AM..
Cordero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
Awww man, why did this have to start just when my computer got fried? xD
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #22
moleeth
Explodes when provoked

Think i may make a comeback for this....and actually finish it this time.

Technomage looks tempting i have a pretty good idea what i want, was just wondering as it say's the pedestal can have unlimited poly's/textures is it alright to add Vfx to the pedestal. I want some swirling water and ground cracking with fire coming out of it.

I know the pedestal isnt considered for the competition but i want it to look good anyway
moleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #23
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Cordero - Sounds great man! I like the idea about the leaping and how you still want to make him a general. I know the "factions" in DW are Norms (all biological organisms I think...), Robot-dudes and Demons... So you can make him a norm whilst keeping him a frog...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #24
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Finally, we can break up the texture sheet!!! That is the best news I've heard in a while.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #25
Imajus

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: v Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
I had war general in mind but the more I sketched thumbs the more shadow I think they came out. So I'm going to go with shadow. Here are my thumbs so far.
Attached Images

Imajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #26
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Do the limits seem kinda silly for this comp to anyone else? 3000 triangles and 1024 maps? Thats pretty heavy for an MMO character. And you're allowed any map type EXCEPT normal maps?

I really wish it were something more like 1500 or 2000 triangles and diffuse maps only. I'm slightly disappointed.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #27
Imajus

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: v Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
I don't mind the tri limit, but I do think it's silly to have every type of map except a normal, including a bump map. That isn't very limiting.
Imajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #28
grindill
Pixel Pusher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I'll try to join in (if work and baby permit). I've been thinking technomage would be a lot of fun. Lets see what I can come up with at lunch time today. See you later.
Dominance War III entry
Low Poly Challenge #20 Vehicle - U.S.S. Constitution
grindill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #29
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
Cordero: keep your work in progress in this thread.

poopipe: yes, kinda. Everythign you said, but no normal maps. Although, AO/light maps are allowed.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #30
Cordero

Awards Showcase
hulahuga Thanks man! Its great to hear that you like it. I kinda feel that this frog could have some ace lore behind it I'll post my armor variations soon.

Imajus I like 5!

Buzzy Yeah, 3k maybe a bit too much, but this way I can make all the bonus stuff I wanted to make. I also think that there should not be that many textures allowed. Diffuse + opacity, that is enough. Mostly because I think these low poly stuffs point is to make them look good in flattened view. Now spec, bump and other stuff doesn't work in flatten, so I'll have to work with smoothing groups and stuff. That I don't like.