>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #16
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
Amblin: looking over the rules, I would say no, you can't change the mesh. But, you are allowed to add 500 tris to the mesh, so depending on how you go about animating and camera angles, you could "fake" a body part being ripped off. use the 500 tris to model out more or duplicate body parts.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
lordcrazy22
Art Student

Rig and animate in 4 weeks? Guess it wouldn't be a challenge if it wasn't gonna be a little tough.
Can't fall behind in school, so I'll be working around my classes, but I guess I'll give this a shot. Excited to see what everyone comes up with!

See more of my stuff at DeviantART!
lordcrazy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #18
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Quote:
Rig and animate in 4 weeks? Guess it wouldn't be a challenge if it wasn't gonna be a little tough.
Really? This is almost sounded like a weekend job to me. I haven't animated in a few years, so maybe I'm underestimating something.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #19
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
Really? This is almost sounded like a weekend job to me. I haven't animated in a few years, so maybe I'm underestimating something.
rigging those is an afternoon job unless you're deliberately making life difficult for yourself
the animation - I dunno, I just call up my little herd of animators if I need anything like that done. If you can't churn out 10 seconds in a day round here you get shouted at though

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
walkerism

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ToM View Post
Maya : )

I definitely hope that I can get started on animation....I've been watching tuts on rigging and I wonder if I can get two characters rigged quick enough...

How about you?
I've got a book that goes through rigging bipeds and other game characters, haven't started it yet mind. For my last rig I followed the digital tutors rigging video. Wouldn't recommend it, ended up with a pretty cruddy rig
walkerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #21
squarefighter

Just got here...

This looks exciting! I just saw the headline at 3dtotal.com so I don't really know much about how to get in on this. Where exactly are submissions supposed to end up? How do I pick a team?
squarefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #22
Vrednia
...will never grow up!

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I got third place in the Speed Modeling Challange  
Total Awards: 1
So here I announce that I'll use the fat guy with the horns and the alien looking dude. The horn headed dude will be the WarGeneral class and the alien looking dude will be the Shadow. On Sunday afternoon I'll post both riggs ready and done for animation. I'm working with Maya. May the force be with all of us and once again prove that 3D Total is the best out there

Last edited by Vrednia; 12-11-2010 at 06:24 AM..
Vrednia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #23
lordcrazy22
Art Student

Quote:
Idk maybe it won't be as bad as I thought. Wont be a weekend job for me, but I did just learn how to do all that is the last 6ish months, so I still don't know everything.

See more of my stuff at DeviantART!
lordcrazy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #24
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Yeah I have only made a few animations myself but I wouldn't say that it takes more than 2-3 days of work to make.
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #25
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
squarefighter: you just joined Threedy-Total.

the hard part about this one will be showing all the required movements, have it make sense, and in my case, editing all the damn camera shots.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #26
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Those characters are an easy rigging job cos they're clean and well built. Shouldn't be a big problem even for a beginner

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:05 AM   #27
!ToM
Animator

Send a message via AIM to !ToM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerism View Post
I've got a book that goes through rigging bipeds and other game characters, haven't started it yet mind. For my last rig I followed the digital tutors rigging video. Wouldn't recommend it, ended up with a pretty cruddy rig
Really? I'm watching their intro to character rigging and production character rigging tutorials and they have been pretty helpful to me so far.

The skinnier model is actually kinda harder to rig since he isn't in a T pose. The other ones are fine though.
!ToM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #28
walkerism

Might be different to the one I saw where they rigged this basic biped mesh. Problem was it was the bare basics and the ik controls were broken on my completed rig. Fair play, I struggle to follow video tutorials, very often I miss things when having to constantly go back and forth between maya and the video file.
walkerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #29
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Gonna give this category a shot. I am definitely a beginner at animating, but I still want to challenge myself. Have a great tutorial for rigging and I've rigged a few characters in the past, it's the actual animation that will be a new experience.

Plan on going with the big guy (warlord?) and the one on the far right as shadow. Posting story board either tonight or tomorrow. (depends on how far into my 3d model I get tonight)
Old 12-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #30
kielfiggins
Setting Keys

How would you achieve anything for the TechnoMage without some sort of vfx proxy/stand in?
Industrial Light and Magic - London
kielfiggins is offline   Reply With Quote