>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 20-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
The Speed Sculpting Challenge - 14 Celebrity Caricature

Sculpt your favourite Celebrity!

Welcome to THE Fourteenth Speed Sculpting Challenge. Whether you're new to sculpting, to the Threedy forums, or you're a seasoned veteran, come and join in on the Sculpting madness – there's plenty of fun and learning to be had by all!

The Rules:
1. The competition will run until the 20th March 2009, 12:00 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here); the time between now and then will be allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting for the entries – at which point the next competition will start.

2. The moderators will be supplying a base mesh for each competition, from which everyone will start sculpting. This is so we all get an equal start and it keeps us on topic. You must work only with the base mesh provided and you must not add any additional base meshes or objects of your own. We simply want you to use your imagination and see what you can come up with what has been provided!

3. There will be a time limit for the sculpting. Spend no longer than the allocated time limit, then post a screen-grab of your model. No cheating – we are relying on your honesty here!

4. Do not add any meshes other than those sanctioned in this competition brief.

5. As the base meshes show, the sculpt this time starts from a simple cube, so as not no limit what your conception of greatest fear is. This time you can use the base mesh twice, if you choose to. However, do not add any additional objects, SubTools or base meshes yourselves!

6. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging – let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt! What we are looking for is

the quality of the sculpt you can produce "under pressure". If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognisable and on topic.

7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it. It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labelling etc., but do not add any post-production to the images themselves. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "Manage Attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external image files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.

8. You can create multiple sculpts, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.

9. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here and your FINAL entry in the Submissions thread, once it has been set up later on in the Challenge.

These rules apply to everybody taking part – there will be NO exceptions!

We've attached the supplied base mesh at the bottom of this post. Take it and go subdivide!

Prizes:
This month's prizes:

1st Place

Any 3 items from the 3DTotal Shop. We sell lots of items these days, such as our books, Texture DVDs, Shorts DVDs, lots of training DVDs, and 12 month subscriptions to 2DArtist Magazine and 3DCreative Magazine

2nd Place

Any 2 items from the 3DTotal Shop (see above)

3rd Place

Any 1 item from the 3DTotal Shop (see above)

Note: We do unfortunately have to limit prizes to 1 book per winner per challenge, due to high postage costs for heavier items. Please note that we cannot offer the 3D Printed models as prizes!

Plus! don't forget the status that comes along with a 1st place Speed Sculpting Winner is always pretty cool!

The Brief:

Time limit: 5 hours

Start Date: 20th February 2009, 12:00 AM GMT+0

Deadline: 20th March 2009, 12:00 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here)

Subject: Celebrity Caricature

Attention fellow sculptors! We here at Threedy have listened to you, and due to the popular demand shown in the sculpting challenge suggestions thread, we’re returning to our human torso base mesh and allowing you clever people to craft your favourite celebrities. You can sculpt your favourite pop stars, film stars, television stars, models, presidents, DJs – heck, even politicians! And as an added bonus we are allowing any celebrity from history – living or dead. You can also choose whether to sculpt them as they are now in the present, or when they were younger, or perhaps as they appear ravaged by the sands of time. The choice, as they say, is yours.

The Mesh:

This month's base mesh has been ressurected from the Manimal challenge, and has been created by forum member, Crimson King.

Your base mesh is attached to this post - simply click on the attachment at the end of this post, save the file, import it in the sculpting software of your choice, and you're on your way!

Please note that you mustn't add any more objects – use only what has been provided and nothing more! This is the challenge after all!

Here's your .obj file - download it, have fun & get going! >>>>
Attached Files
File Type: obj 3DTotal_BaseMesh.obj (112.5 KB, 824 views)
File Type: obj 3DTotal_BaseMeshEyes.obj (61.0 KB, 667 views)
Twitter

Last edited by ClassicGamer-3DT; 20-02-2009 at 11:10 PM..
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Ghost-D

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge #12 
Total Awards: 1
best timing ever
And such a great topic!

"Inter arma silent musae"
Ghost-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
AndrewQ

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 2
HA! Can't wait!
AndrewQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
spindraft

Send a message via MSN to spindraft Send a message via Yahoo to spindraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGamer-3DT View Post
The competition will run until the 1st of February ( 12:00 GMT)
I take it that's a typo?
spindraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindraft View Post
I take it that's a typo?
Well spotted yeah, i'd missed that one, edit to the correct date now, cheers.

CG.
Twitter
Old 20-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
mon_stdnt
always learning-something

this is going to be so good
mon_stdnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
mdale13

Send a message via AIM to mdale13
awesome! a good combination of different folks suggestions! i cant wait!
mdale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 06:02 AM   #8
Adroit.jrk
JRK Mamber

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
wooo cool topic these time.
Old 21-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
hardtack

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''Death Match'' 
Total Awards: 2
ok this is a caricature of scarlett johansson. i havent done too many sculpts in 3d so i really wanted to try this competition out. i did this in 4 hours and 23 minutes and i used mudbox.
Attached Images

hardtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
Not bad at all, she's got huge lips so you've exaggerrated them perfectly. Good cheekbones too

CG
Twitter
Old 22-02-2009, 02:20 AM   #11
Ghost-D

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge #12 
Hey, everyone! My attempt on Mick Jagger caricature (so far only 30 mins used)

"Inter arma silent musae"
Ghost-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #12
pogimonz
mango smoothie!

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 3
Nice! I'm in.... doin Jack Nic!
Attached Images

pogimonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 05:54 AM   #13
mdale13

Send a message via AIM to mdale13
"Cosmo Kramer" Michael Richards

I chose to do Micheal Richards, or as he is better known, "Cosmo Kramer". One of my favorite TV characters by far! I can't wait to get cracking on it!
Attached Images

mdale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #14
Adroit.jrk
JRK Mamber

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Obama

ok here is chose The Great Obama.
Attached Images

Old 22-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #15
Adroit.jrk
JRK Mamber

Awards Showcase
ok here is nealy 1 and half hours of my work. still .
Attached Images

Tags
#14, caricature, celebritiy, challenge, sculpting, speed, ssc, threedy