>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges

Old 22-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Challenge #2 : October 2007 FINAL ENTRIES

Please post only your final images here. For discussion and details please go here: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=54217

When posting your final image please upload it on an external server (imageshack.us preferably) and use the image tag.

Please include the following in your post:

• Your name
  • Short description of the image
  • Technical details (how long it took, what software did you use etc.)
  • (OPTIONAL) A link to your WIP thread if you created any

Don't forget that the minimum accepted width/height is of 1024!

Looking forward to see your artworks
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
mohammedbood

Send a message via MSN to mohammedbood Send a message via Yahoo to mohammedbood
This is my participation in this contest (Lost Valley) for the month (October 2007) ...

Title: Lost Valley
Artist: Mohammed S. Ba'abood
Software: Photoshop

The Design Idea:

My friend told me that there is competition at the site of 3dtotal.com in Matte Painting Challenges ...

I went to my house to read the terms and the title of the competition ...

Planning began making simple idea of working in some papers ...

Then I compile photos that need to composition ...

Then I began work immediately, I wished add the work on Parts intermittent, but I did not feel I am working on the Computer that I have finished the design dramatically ...

The work took me about 4 - 5 hours, then taken little time for the simple adjustments ...

I hope that enjoyed by ...

.:: Your Friend ::.
Mohammed S. Ba'abood

Last edited by mohammedbood; 31-10-2007 at 12:40 AM..
mohammedbood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
anklebiter

Post Lost Valley entry

Hi everyone,

Here's my entry for the competition. The way this worked out the style is more traditional painting than matte painting. I hope this is okay.

The theme 'Lost Valley' had me thinking of ruined artifacts slowly being re-claimed by vegetation and water. In the illustration we can see the remains of a linear launcher left standing in a flooded valley.

The image was created in stages:

1 - Landscape modelling in Vue. I find this an incredibly irritating application to use so I did this stage quickly, not worrying if I left detail out. I knew I could paint things in later.

2 - Foreground element modelling in Cinema 4D. As the shape of the launcher is quite simple this didn't take too long. Same with the boat and figure. Texturing was quite simple as I prefer painting fine details.

3 - Rendering and compositing in Photoshop. The first major task was to paint in vegetation detail to cover the gaps. At this stage the image was still very dark but I knew I'd be adding sunlight later.

WIP:

5 - Painting detail. I did passes over the main elements, building up the detail. Haze, mist and sunlight were added on separate layers to give me more control.

The illustration was done off and on, working around other jobs I had, and probably took about five days to complete. The Photoshop painting stage took the longest.

Final Image:

I hope you like the illustration.

Paul Drummond.
anklebiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Kingcolin
Prutser

2 Great entriest so far!
Paul Drummond, Great.. Something I would feel like when thinking of the subject!
Mohammed, Well, like I said in your WIP's, Very nice work!

You guys both did an awesome job,
Want to see more!

Personal Website
Kingcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
tobal

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 1
Lost Valley- October 2007

I inspired myself in the lost valley of shangrilá, a peacefull place, with beautiful waterfalls and a breaktaking landscape.

The main software used was photoshop CS3, and I used 3d max just for the buildings. took about 3 weeks, 2h/day aprox.

Hope you enjoy it

Ruben Valente
tobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Terraced Valley

Eric J. Dima-ala

This is based on the existing rice terraces in the Philippines. Since most rice terraces is built on a hill with a valley below it, I manage to conceptualize a huge valley that is surrounded by large terrace upon terrace of rice. Some parts of course are exagerrated but it would be really amazing if you can see this type of man made mega structure!

This took about 2 weeks of pre-production, concepts and research, and another 2 for the final output on and off of course. Tons and tons of pictures and lots of repainting were poured on the final image. Since there is a very limited source of images on the net, I have to go and ask a few friends for there pictures.

I used Maya to model most of the mountains and rocks which where then taken to Zbrush for refinement and then to Photohop for the final composition. The sketch is doen in Photoshop only.

Here is th link for the WIP :
Valley WIP Thread

Hope you guys enjoy this image because I did! Looking forward for the next challenge!

Large Image:

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res

Last edited by eyecon; 09-11-2007 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: edited image and repost
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
anklebiter

Quote:
Hope you guys enjoy this image because I did! Looking forward for the next challenge!
Very nice!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
guitarsimo80

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge No. 2 Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge No.3 
Lost Valley - October 2007

Hi !
this is my entry ... my first matte painting!

Artist : Simone M.
Title : Lost Valley
Details : Made with Photoshop and Vue Infinite 6, take about 2 hour a day for 3 week i think.

Hope you like it !!

W.I.P.

Final image:

Last edited by guitarsimo80; 04-11-2007 at 10:22 AM..
guitarsimo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
mrpeculiar

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge 009 Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: Won on Speed Animation challanges ''Guitar Hero / Rock Band' Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  
Total Awards: 7
Ahoy .....heres a new entry for you all

mrpeculiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:34 AM   #10
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Total Awards: 11
WHOAAAA mrpeculiar... this one really blew my brains out. Congratz dude
Old 08-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #11
anklebiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeculiar View Post
Ahoy .....heres a new entry for you all
That's really nice!
Old 13-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #12
Ventana

Ok, this is my first matte painting, so obviously, this is my first matte painting challenge as well. I've been involved with matte painting about a month or so thanks to a friend who turned me on to this.

Last edited by Ventana; 13-11-2007 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Corrected typos
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #13
Kropyl

Send a message via AIM to Kropyl Send a message via MSN to Kropyl
Lost Valley Entry

Well, this is my first real attempt at a matte painting and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I would've preferred to spend more time with it but I am busy with finals so sadly I cannot. I hope you enjoy it, and good luck to all who enter!

* David P.
* Inspiration came from longing to go back to the desert where I'm originally from. (Although not quite as harsh as this desert would seem to be...) Old abandoned ruins show times of better days.
* This took about 12 hours total, the background mountains and landscape were done entirely in Photoshop by painting textures with the clone brush to make the mountains and the foreground elements were created in Maya.

Last edited by Kropyl; 14-11-2007 at 11:21 PM..
Kropyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
Born23th

Here is my entry for this challenge.

My name: Fred D.

This is a "moon & aurora borealis lighted lost valley" which comes from my imagination.

I used photoshop to do this work. It takes me a lot of time as it is my first matte painting and my first challenge. (arround 30H) You can see in my WIP that I use more than 40 pictures to do it.

I hope that you'll enjoy it!

Born23th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #15
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Voting time Thank you for entries, we will announce the winners soon.

See you at the next challenge!
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote