>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges

Old 28-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Challenge #5 : Panic and Destruction

Challenge #5
  • Panic and Destruction

What do you have to do:

This time you may choose your own base image as long as it's located/related to a city and bring in panic and destruction Think to cloverfield, everyone loves cloverfield . The source of destruction can be: Alien Crash, Monster, Meteor or anything else you can imagine.

The Panic can be suggested by crowds or, by using a proper color palette/mood.

I want you to pay close attention to atmosphere and mood this time. Consider this a print-add for a movie. Make us want to go and see it...

Also you can choose as a set anything from a complete cityscape to a street view

Examples of street view (note: these are just reference, you may *not* use them as stock image):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shinythings/151546112/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/spoonmonkey/180190601/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pingnews/132199273/

Deadline: 31th March 2008

Judges: This month the judging board is formed by:

- Tiberius Viris
- David Edwards (everlite)
- Chris Perrins

Have fun and be creative!

Last edited by Suirebit-3DT; 28-02-2008 at 03:00 PM..
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
okay first to aks a question.... Is the angle of the reference image contrained to the examples you gave? Are we allowed to say make another angle like birds eye view?

Are we allowed to portray the "Monster", "Meteor"?

Thats all for now, maybe I'll post some more later...

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Yona
Registered User ++

Yay, I think I might have time to join this one

Eyecon:
Quote:
Also you can choose as a set anything from a complete cityscape to a street view
Old 29-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
eyecone, Yona replied to your first question As for second, you can portray it, but that's not the point of the matte...
Old 29-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
samsonsreaper

hehe looks like i allready made an image of this kind
samsonsreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
chatbury

The images you supplied links too are covered by a 'creative commons license' which does allow them to be used and manipulated.

Seeing as this is not for commercial use, it's pretty fair to let people use them. I think I might as plates like that are hard to come by and it's only for fun.
chatbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
miikej

hey guys, been hanging around the mp forums for a while now, been waiting
for the time to join one of these challenges, this seems the perfect one as I've already got an image I made for an ad campaign.
So I'm going to a close up of this scene which is Sydney, Australia btw.

Mike
Attached Images

miikej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
meon

Goood morning

some weeks ago i made this twister with a little bit c4d and Photoshop.
I got a lot more with "independence day" "king kong" etc.
I like making movie desasters!

regards meon
Attached Images

meon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
I would prefer if you would take this challenge from scratch, to be fair versus others...
Old 13-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Nik

Send a message via ICQ to Nik
Hi,
I'm in! Great topic! Some time ago I made a nice foto of Monte Carlo, so I'll destroy the city ... Hope to make it till the deadline.

Last edited by Nik; 13-03-2008 at 11:21 AM..
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
Nik

Send a message via ICQ to Nik
Btw, should we post the wip here?
Old 13-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Nope, in the wip section, here: http://forums.3dtotal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92
Old 22-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
guys what are you cooking there?
Old 28-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
any chance this challenge will be extended till the 15th only?

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
well so far we only have two entries so chances are...