>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges

Old 18-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Challenge #5 (Destruction) FINAL ENTRIES

Please post only your final images here. For discussion and details please go here: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=57034

When posting your final image please upload it on an external server (imageshack.us preferably) and use the image tag.

Please include the following in your post:

• Your name
  • Short description of the image
  • Technical details (how long it took, what software did you use etc.)
  • (OPTIONAL) A link to your WIP thread if you created any

Don't forget that the minimum accepted width/height is of 1024!

Looking forward to see your artworks
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
Holy Mountain

Duncan Dinsdale
"All Roads Lead To Armageddon"
Software used - Cinema 4D, Photoshop CS3 and Vue 6
Time taken - various evenings over 3 weeks

Holy Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 01:35 AM   #3
inveni0
Man of the Hour

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 5
Thought I'd throw this together:

Enoch Pyle
A small tornado ravages a small village and bears down on the few remaining buildings.
Done in Photoshop in about an hour (including reference finding time).
No Wip Thread

Old 30-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
wil_13

Wilson Lim
"city defeated by nature"
Done in Photoshop cs2
Two weeks include finding references
my Wip link: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=57429

Last edited by wil_13; 13-04-2008 at 11:17 PM..
wil_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
stormnboy

Nothing like a good ol' war...

Here is a very quick pitch together... needs lots more work, but yeah.
Jamie Walker
Done in photoshop, around 6 hours...
you can see something that resembles a wip here.

Its the corner or Flinders and Swanston Streets in Melbourne - dirtied up to look like an panicked & destructive invasion, ww2 style.

EDIT: WOOT! More time!

Last edited by stormnboy; 07-04-2008 at 03:38 AM..
stormnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Eric Dima-ala
"Pilot Error"
Software used - Photoshop CS3 and a few plug-ins
Time taken -about 12 hours... this has been an on and off thing... been very very busy latelly thats why I'm passing this at this time.

Original Working size: 3435x1968 huge!

To all the challengers, good luck and amazing works!

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res

Last edited by eyecon; 14-04-2008 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: repost Image
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Total Awards: 11
Holy cow! This one really surprised me When I opened the thread, only the top part of the image was showing, with the buildings all clean and tidy, with just that smoke coming up, and I thought "bah, this is way to clean for Destruction!" then I scrolled down and BAM! All that chaos and mayhem.
Great matte and superb composition. Only that roof with the turbine could be a bit more wrecked, but apart from that, really cool work dude!

Nice going eyecon

DD
Old 14-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Thanks daddy doom! Thats very encouraging! I'll eagerlly wait for the results...

CGsociety Deviant

Old 14-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Capt. Adama

"Imperial Censure"

My final work
Done in Photoshop CS3 and 3D Studio Max 9 in about a week
Stormtrooper model by JJ
Shuttle model by Fabio Allamandri
Rebel pilot model by MISTER X

Congrats to all challengers
Attached Images

Capt. Adama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
time's up folks, you had more than enough time

Please allow us one week to judge the entries

C ya at the next comp
Old 24-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Sorry for the delay guys, one of our judges had some issues and that hindered me from announcing the final results

I'm thinking to experiemnt with a public vote for our next challenge...what do you think?

Anyway, here they are:

#1 Eyecon , with a really nice and quite believable integration (well, on second thought it lacks some *real* smoke, how about work more on that eh?)

#2 Capt. Adama, although you haven't done the models, they are integrated quite well, however the feeling of destruction is not so strong.

#3 will13

HM: stormnboy , your work is not that bad, but (and you been told several times during the wip) those people are way too calm for what going on there....there isn't so much of a panic and destruction feeling and that was our theme, wasn't it?

Allright folks, don't forget to contact chrisp@3dtotal.com for your prizes and see ya at the next challenge!
Old 24-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
Whoa!

Thanks to all the judges!
- Tiberius Viris
- David Edwards (everlite)
- Chris Perrins

I owe you guys...

Mr. Suirebit... thanks for the advice! I will improve this image... Thanks!

Once again thank you for the votes!

CGsociety Deviant

Last edited by eyecon; 24-04-2008 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: added text
Old 24-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
Capt. Adama

thanks to you judges!
and congratulatons Eyecon. as soon as i saw your work i knew you would be awarded 1st place. Your idea is brilliant and gathers both panic and destruction.
that was my first participation into this kind of challenge. i'm looking forward to know the topic of next challenge!

thanks again to all the judges!
Capt. Adama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
chubu
Animator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge 'Sit down and Think'' Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in ''executioner'' challenge 
congratz to all - i think i am gonna enter the next one. when the new contest will begin?
Old 25-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
next week