>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges

Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
New challenge topic?

Hey and Happy New Year!

I'm curious, what topic would you like to have for the first challenge of 2009? Best ideas get a e-cookie
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Oltskul
How you can fight?

Send a message via ICQ to Oltskul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
here are mine, whitch i posted few minutes ago:
1) Ressistance is futile
2) my worst dream
3) like it was posted in lowpoly ch. - some environmen - 3 phases of destrucion/decay...
4) some vista :-P

http://www.oltskul.com
Oltskul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
mmmm, this is tough.

1. Maybe some real production mattepainting. Like set extensions? You can post 1 - 4 images that the challengers can choose and create a real world set extension. Something more realistic or close to it.

2. Interior mattepainting (this is tougher i bet)

3. The desert / or wilderness, something that would require an epic like scenery.

4. Here's one challenging idea, create a scene where a modern city has been turned in to a jungle after thousands of years. Imagine the Aztecs yet applied to a modern city.

5. Concept to matte - We start off with a concept art from any known artist and we build a mattepainting based on that concept. So the concept must be made by someone else, you could have 4 selections of this too. (This might just be fun!)

Hope that helps

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
great ideas but I'm not sure how many will apply if it's too tough
Old 07-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
DisplacedBob

Alright here my 2 cents:

1. "WE SHOULD HAVE LISTENED!!!" a painting of the human landscape ravaged by global warming, like a half sunk new york, but still populated (or not)

2. "We're not in Kansas anymore..." The old set backdrops from the Wizard of Oz are legendary, and the precursors of matte painting today. Take a screen shot from the film where these backdrops are prominent, remove them, and "re-imagine" the shot.

3. "Brave New World" The planets and moons in our solar system are strange places; ice-fields of frozen methane, mountains easily five times the size of Everest, and things that no satelite image has yet to see. Do the research, take an educated guess, and imagine the first human sight of an alien world.

4. "It's made of people!!!" The human population grows, the planet stays the same size, and one day we'll be forced to eat each other for food because there's too damn many of us. Paint a city/town/anything that'll show the world as it would be with the human poplation exceeding 100 billion.

5. "They always have to blow up Paris..." By law, every disaster film must destroy at least five precious structures/landmarks/buildings/memorials/etc. Everything you want to visit before you die is up on the chopping block, so take a good guess what your favorite is going to look like after the storm/alien invasion/volcano/nuclear war/zombie dance party tears it a new one.
DisplacedBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
DisplacedBob : great concepts man, but like Suirebit said, nothing so challenging, and those you suggested seems a bit too challenging. Don't get me wrong I would love to make a few of those but like I said, yeah its a bit too much challenge for any newbie or mid-level inspiring matte artist.

Well here is my next challenge suggestion:

1. A simple Set extension, just choose any image and extend the plate, each artist can create own version just as long as the artist should show the original plate.

2. Element replacement, any image can be used (presuming its high quality) and the artist will replace a certain part of the image, somewhat like set extension but the image WILL NOT be extended, just replace a few (or more) elements in it.

Hope this helps....

CGsociety Deviant

Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I like eyecons idea but I think the image should be provided so that everyone has the same starting point.
lampshadehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
RQuack

I agree with the set extension idea. I think its good practice and a good way to pick up some slack as far as getting it done on time. Soemthing "old school" to help us along would be great!
RQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #9
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
I wouldn't say its really that old school, since after all its the very purpose of mattepainting. 90% of real world mattes are set extensions and the ones that are not are extremely hard to achieve.

I'm pretty much excited for the next challenge and I do hope I will hae the time to join hehehehe. We are eagelly waiting for it Suirebit!

CGsociety Deviant

Old 13-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #10
Wanderer

Send a message via ICQ to Wanderer
The clock is ticking. Choose faster!

Maybe:

1. Mine of the Mars

2. Heavenly citadel

3. Guard of the pass
Old 14-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Ok set extension sounds good, now to find a good plate...thanks for all those great ideas btw! I would love putting them to action but for now I really want something accesible to many people
Old 15-01-2009, 02:55 AM   #12
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
Hi again suirebit. If possible, you might want to provide 3 plates (or two) so that we may have a little variety at least.

Looking forward to this!

CGsociety Deviant

Old 18-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
korpehn

Set extension sound great. Looking forwards to this challange too.
By the way were there suposed to be any prices for the summer challange or have i missed something?
korpehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
any challenge has a set of prizes, you need to claim them from Mr. Chris Perrins
Old 18-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
korpehn

Ah thanks dude, forgott about that part lol
korpehn is offline   Reply With Quote