>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges

Old 29-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
snwbrdr

No need to PM me, I've seen the deadline, but I just got a new toy (upgrade from CS2 Design Standard to CS4 Design Premium) so I've spent my time on Flash this weekend which is quite new for me. (But it had a little to do with matte ;-)) Promise to finish my matte in the coming 2 evenings though.

Last edited by snwbrdr; 30-03-2009 at 08:41 AM..
snwbrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #17
guitarsimo80

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge No.3 Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge No. 2 
Total Awards: 3
Talking Medieval set extension

Guitarsimo80
medieval night
PS Cs4 + Vue Infinite
here's my W.I.P. thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=64880
and here's my final composition

hope you like it !
guitarsimo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #18
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
uuuu 2 entries. Nice one
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #19
trainfender

Hi, my name's Nikita [trainfender] Buyanov and I'm from Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
This challenge was great experience for me. I finally started to paint from scratch
this work's done in about 25 hours with the help of photoshop cs2, 3dsmax 2009 and V-Ray.
here's WIP thread - http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=66038
and the fullsize picture - http://trainfender.indee.ru/threedy/threedy_final.jpg

Last edited by trainfender; 30-03-2009 at 12:12 PM..
trainfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #20
jfmgraphics
Generic User Title

Name: Joe Melton

Description of image: Nighttime image of medieval street, gateway to castle courtyard. Had to rush the lighting/shadowing toward the end...real life got in the way of my plans for this one.

Technical details: I created the image entirely in Photoshop CS3, with the assistance of my Wacom Intuos 3 tablet.

WIP Thread

Last edited by jfmgraphics; 31-03-2009 at 07:44 AM..
jfmgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #21
snwbrdr

Well, time's up, so here's the final:

(Click image for 2000px wide version)

Hope you like it, thanks to all who replied in the W.I.P. thread on this forum and thus helped creating this image.

I used several images which were released under the Creative Commons license and learnt a few things on the road. (Amongst others: Make a sketch before you start!)

Hope you enjoy the final result as much as I did making it.
Old 31-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #22
kaustavsinha

Send a message via ICQ to kaustavsinha Send a message via AIM to kaustavsinha Send a message via MSN to kaustavsinha Send a message via Yahoo to kaustavsinha
Post Final Entry!

Hi Everyone,

My name: Kaustav Sinha

Short description of the image: Being a huge fan of LOTR trilogy myself, I tried to give an epic feel to this mattepainting! Here, a warrior is seen staring at this massive castle, where he was destined to travel to find something precious!

Technical details: It took me approximately 10 hours to complete this digital matte painting! I have used Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended software to do it. I always do my mattes using a mouse; no graphic tablet!

WIP link is here

Wishing all the contestants best of luck for the results!

www.imdb.com/name/nm3457720

"Let's Paint The World With Peace"

Last edited by kaustavsinha; 08-04-2009 at 03:26 AM..
kaustavsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #23
jfmgraphics
Generic User Title

Kaustav, looks like you're missing the majority of the gate...
jfmgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #24
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
yes kaustav, where's the gate? Any late entries or I close the thread? It's a shame cause we had so many guys in wip
Old 01-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #25
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Hi suirebit... I apologize too... I wish i could finish mune but so far I'm so full now... I can't do anything not until the weekend...sorry man...

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #26
kaustavsinha

Send a message via ICQ to kaustavsinha Send a message via AIM to kaustavsinha Send a message via MSN to kaustavsinha Send a message via Yahoo to kaustavsinha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suirebit-3DT View Post
yes kaustav, where's the gate? Any late entries or I close the thread? It's a shame cause we had so many guys in wip
Hi Suirebit,

Wait wait! I'm going to edit it within few hours time! Have been very busy!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #27
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Does anyone has anything against prolonging this until Monday? maybe we get 3-4 more entries? (and eyecon can do his :P)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #28
snwbrdr

Fine with me, might tweak my own a little more then this weekend if that's no problem.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #29
kaustavsinha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suirebit-3DT View Post
Does anyone has anything against prolonging this until Monday? maybe we get 3-4 more entries? (and eyecon can do his :P)
Hi Suirebit,

Sure! I too, will get some more time!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #30
MatejaPetkovic

hi

It's fine with me also. Maybe you can extend whole week because all those people who have good wip's. You should pm them

M
MatejaPetkovic is offline   Reply With Quote