>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges

Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #46
kaustavsinha

Send a message via ICQ to kaustavsinha Send a message via AIM to kaustavsinha Send a message via MSN to kaustavsinha Send a message via Yahoo to kaustavsinha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suirebit-3DT View Post
kaustav it's ok now

eyecon we're waiting for you! :P
Hi Suirebit,

Thank you very much for the reply! I may still make some additional changes to the matte, until April 10th!

Yes!!! I am waiting for Eric's entry too! I'm sure that, he will come-up with a big surprise!

www.imdb.com/name/nm3457720

"Let's Paint The World With Peace"
kaustavsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #47
jfmgraphics
Generic User Title

I'm not waiting for eyecon. His work is too good.
jfmgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:06 AM   #48
kaustavsinha

Send a message via ICQ to kaustavsinha Send a message via AIM to kaustavsinha Send a message via MSN to kaustavsinha Send a message via Yahoo to kaustavsinha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmgraphics View Post
I'm not waiting for eyecon. His work is too good.
Haha...! I witnessed Eric, creating fantastic matte-painting in just a duration of 2 days, & winning the first prize! You gotta reserve a seat in the Top 3 spots, if he is participating! But, having him as a contestant, makes the challenge much more interesting & competitive! I'm waiting for Eric's entry!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #49
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Hi guys, as much as I want to join this challenge, sadly I no longer can. One huge reason is that I'm stuck to my current work, which, to my dismay is harder than I have expected. Somehow my supervisors just don't want to let me go. Oh well... I have a rough done but I can't finish it today since I'm stuck here at the office. Yeah kaustav, I simply can't finish a matte in a day, that seems to be just too much.

so guys enjoy! I will try next time. Work can be hell, but then again I love my work.

p.s. I sooooooo wanted to join dagnabit!

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #50
kaustavsinha

Hi Eric,

Oh! It's very unfortunate that you are not in a position to submit your Final Entry! In fact, I guess, the deadline was extended by Suirebit, keeping your entry in mind (and we too were waiting to see your brilliant artwork)! But...!

Yeah, 1 day is not at all enough to complete a matte! I hope that, you'll participate in the next challenge!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #51
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Hi kaustav,

Yeah, and I feel soooo bad right now. Worst part is, I think I have to stay in the office overnight today to finish some renders so

Once again I apologize to all the guys especially suirebit. But sometimes work takes precedence over pleasure no matter how stingy that would feel. I wish I could just turn back the time and said no when this task was assigned to me... The matte I'm doing sadlly will stay on WIP stage until I get some extra time off work... like a 2 months from now...DANG! Anybody knows how to clone yourself? PM me please....

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #52
kaustavsinha

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon View Post
Hi kaustav,

Yeah, and I feel soooo bad right now. Worst part is, I think I have to stay in the office overnight today to finish some renders so

Once again I apologize to all the guys especially suirebit. But sometimes work takes precedence over pleasure no matter how stingy that would feel. I wish I could just turn back the time and said no when this task was assigned to me... The matte I'm doing sadlly will stay on WIP stage until I get some extra time off work... like a 2 months from now...DANG! Anybody knows how to clone yourself? PM me please....

Hi Eric,

I can understand your situation! There's no need to apologize!

Hehe...LOL! I know cloning in Photoshop, do not know how to do it in real-life! If I knew, I'd have surely told you! By the way, it would have been great, if cloning would have been possible in reality!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #53
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
So I guess this is it. Thanks to all who participated, I hope you had a great time and I'm sorry for all those wip entries that never got into finals This challenge started out good.

I'm gonna come back with comments and critique on all submissions, as well as announcing winners and prizes for everyone.

Bear in mind that because of this low participation, we might not have another challenge here for a while
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #54
kaustavsinha

Quote:
So I guess this is it. Thanks to all who participated, I hope you had a great time and I'm sorry for all those wip entries that never got into finals This challenge started out good.

I'm gonna come back with comments and critique on all submissions, as well as announcing winners and prizes for everyone.

Bear in mind that because of this low participation, we might not have another challenge here for a while
Hi Suirebit,

It's sad to hear that, you will not conduct any more challenges for a while! I was getting a good practice and enjoyed the challenges very much! Thank you very much, for organizing such a wonderful challenge!

Old 10-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #55
jfmgraphics
Generic User Title

This was the first challenge I participated in, and it won't be the last. Just let us know when you're ready for another one.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #56
copain
STEVEDV

Quote:

ohh Damn,
Was looking forward to one, as I just started learning matte painting.
copain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #57
snwbrdr

I'm sorry to hear there are not enough entries to have another challenge straight away, I really liked my first one here. I think it's better to state a definitive deadline from the beginning, this motivates people to finish their work in time, now I think that everyone that started their projects didn't feel they had to keep at it and when a project is put on hold it's simply not motivating to return to it and finish it. This way it will never come further than beeing a WIP.

Well, just wanted to say that I would enjoy another challenge, maybe even a friendly one without prizes, just for the fun of it.

Didn't do any more work on my painting, so I'll keep it with the one already posted in this thread. I recently updated my Creative Suite so have been playing around with Flash last week, new toys are always fun!

Looking forward to your critiques, hope to learn from this.

Thanks
snwbrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #58
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Hello!

Just wanted to mention that we are working on plans for a new challenge 'system' for Threedy, which will involve monthly and bi-monthly deadlines and tie all challenges in together (in a way), meaning everyone will know where they stand in terms of deadlines and be able to follow other challenges in the other forums on Threedy as well for added inspiration and motivation. It's gonna be fun! Challenges will remain as they are for a while until we get ourselves sorted (so much to do!), but I think our ideas for the challenges on Threedy will be very encouraging for all - I imagine this will be put into practice later on this year (but don't hold me to that - things have a habit of changing)

Big thanks to Tiberius for running all of these matte painting challenges alongside what I know is a very busy work schedule. Thanks Tiberius, we do all appreciate everything you do here at Threedy

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #59
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Thanks Lyn Can't wait to see the new system, it will be much easier for me to keep these challenges, and also for the guys to know the deadlines.

Alrighty, here's the results of this challenge:

Firstly, everyone who participated gets a free e-book of their choice.

No.1: Mateja> While i have some picks with the day version, the night one works very well and the light is right on the spot. The abandoned boat adds a nice feeling. Take care of the left distant areas (those seen through the stone arch), they seem too bright and wrongly lit (they are lit from right).

Mark: 8/10

No 2: Guitarsimo> A bit too bright and the light is off in some areas, but this one is quite a pure matte painting, bravo! Would fit very nice in a set with actors. Just take care of the light and it will be a portfolio piece.

Mark: 7/10

No.3: jfmgraphics> If not for the bad texture quality (looks like you upsampled reference), and the too saturated blues, this would've been quite a nice matte...it's not bad, really, you should just go in and put some proper texture on those walls, also make it more bright where light is (right now it's very dark) and it will be a 7 piece

6/10

AND

snwbrdr> This one reminds me of assasin's creed for some reason. I like the concept and idea, also the mood of the image however the light is too uniform and coming from different angles (why are there hard shadows near the castle, to the left? if it is overcast then there should be no shadows at all)

Mark: 6/10

--------------------------------------------------

Comments for :

kaustav> I appreciate your effort, your matte is not bad, but the guys above took you. The blue you used is too saturated and uniform, even though it's night there should be variations, look at mateja's piece for instance. Good job and looking forward to see more from you.

5/10

voil> this is not a bad matte, but not really a night scene...the day one is ok though. I'm really sorry I can't give you more than the participation prize, you should however refine this image, it can be a nice one

5.5/10

Last edited by Suirebit-3DT; 16-04-2009 at 06:04 PM..
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #60
jfmgraphics
Generic User Title

Thanks for the great critique Tiberius. Looks like I need to calibrate my monitor, because I didn't see the oversaturated blues. I do, however, see that it is quite dark when viewed from my laptop.

It's my first attempt at completing a matte painting, so I'm happy to have received some recognition in this contest. I'll be sure to enter future contests as well.