>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 13-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #46
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Total Awards: 2
Been working on lp figure. Trying to get a flow going in the design but realised after much experimentation that I was moving away from my original vision of clean and swirly.

Hopefully get back on track now Ive worked all that out of my system. Heres where Im happyish upto, although the leg and arm twist joints, heck most stuff ive cut, still needs to be merged and smoothed into my original design.

Name:  cerri-uvwdoneearlytest0100000.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  cerri-uvwdoneearlytest0100001.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  74.5 KB

C n C welcome.
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #47
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
the gigantic aspect seems odd for the design - if it were around the height of a tall human it would work better perhaps.
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #48
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Pomeisl View Post
the gigantic aspect seems odd for the design - if it were around the height of a tall human it would work better perhaps.
Sorry to hear that Joseph, I was realy going for a giant heavenly machine angel feel, oh well cant hit the mark everytime

A ZB turntable link of some early test sculpting.

Crits and comments very welcome at this critical stage.

Last edited by Steamtrooper; 15-04-2009 at 03:49 PM..
Old 15-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #49
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Dunno whether the size should be changed. But I really like the modeling so far!
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #50
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
cool, I would possibly push it even further into the realm of egyptian gods perhaps? The head shape really alludes to it (think stargate)

thats where I would be looking for reference anyway Although I've mentioned this to everyone who has things that have pointy heads
Old 15-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #51
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuST View Post
Dunno whether the size should be changed. But I really like the modeling so far!
Cheers Just, Im open to most suggestions, but the size is realy not open to change, I guess with the bike/weapon that goes with the figure I could slip into the SCOUT category but I had a clear vision for this and I was thinking Warmachine all the way, to change now would feel a little underhanded. Maybe he could be called an Assault Scout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discmage View Post
cool, I would possibly push it even further into the realm of egyptian gods perhaps? The head shape really alludes to it (think stargate)
Thanks discmage, funnily enough, most people have mentioned Eldar or Five Star Stories, you are the second to mention the Stargate connection, I have to add you are totally on the mark, although when designing this I realy hadnt got Horus etc in mind, suffice to say Ive got a few Stargate refs sitting at the ready now .

Im testing a new workflow of bouncing between Zb and Max, sculpting small steps then rejigging the lp with fresh polies before more sculpting. Ive got a purely HP which is sitting there in case this fails, if so Ill build a fresh lp over the HP with topo and go the old route.

Name:  Presentationlayout-002.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  75.6 KB

Just for the interested - the idea for Cernunnos came from wanting to have a celtic/knight type feel, old fashioned or classic take your pick. This culminated in the Chesspiece form. I consciously wanted to get away from a greeble heavy GOW design as Im already quite weary of playing clones of said game and feel gaming should move into speed and verticality, thankfully it seems more n more next gen developers agree.

Im happy with the 3/4 and side sils but the crooked leg look doesnt look great from the front to me, any suggestions?

Crits n comments welcomed.

Last edited by Steamtrooper; 15-04-2009 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: language error n request added.
Old 15-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #52
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
I can see chess piece influence, that's a pretty cool idea, I really like that.

For the legs, I think why they're not looking so hot from the front is because they're really long and skinny, and rather plain in the silhouette from the front, I think if you can get some thickness/shape to them without loosing the light/slender look too much, you'd be more satisfied with them.

I dabbled quickly at a couple ideas [hope you don't mind ] that might get you going in a direction that'll resolve your concerns about the legs. I think working the "spike[s]" you've got in some places in the thighs are some more, would help tie them into the design better. Adding a couple "guards" or some sort to the hip/upper thigh to widen that, but still keeping the slender look would give them some more shape. Heck, you might not even need the guards, you might be able to add some spikes out from the thigh looking at it from the front, and that might resolve a lot.

And I think the arms could be a little bigger [maybe not as big as I made them], I think that might also help resolve the legs some as well, since we're used to seeing the fingers fall at about mid thigh.

Anyway, you've got a lot of nice stuff going on in there, I'm really liking where you're heading with it. Nice work.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #53
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Much appreciated Warlock, that area is under major consideration, your side po is prety much the direction im going. Im just trying out echoing the butt spike and thruster outlet twice more, twisted along the outer leg/hip, if that fails theres going be a bulging upper leg pod which will tie in with the cabling from the bike later with luck. Glad you appreciate the Chess thing

Anyhoo lots of tryouts for the time being I think, I moved the arms around a bit but decided on roughly the same length for now but its all still WIP.

Forgot to show rear view so heres a quick update.
Name:  Ceri-zb-wip-002.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  95.8 KB

Crits and comments all welcomed.

Last edited by Steamtrooper; 15-04-2009 at 11:53 PM..
Old 16-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #54
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
I like very much the design of the head and chest by the legs against me leave on my end ... I think they're too thin, but it is a matter of personal taste
Old 16-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #55
drGrim
is a Lurker

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 1
maybe it just looks odd because of the way the model is posed at the moment. i think the placement of the feet are too close together. if u decide to keep the thin legs just make sure the feet are placed a little furthur apart for final pose.. give it more sense of balance. i personally like the thin legs idea.. looks kinda cool.

love the progress.. good job man
Old 17-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #56
Creos 3D
Hunter Killer

Send a message via ICQ to Creos 3D
Nice character. Reminds me trooper from a Star Wars movie. Love the idea with transformation of the gun - flying cycle.

Last edited by Creos 3D; 17-04-2009 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: text correction
Creos 3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #57
spartan118
Lookn 4 professional work

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Love the design, its very original especially the upper body

You can help support the project here

CURRENT RIG:
Intel Core i7, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, ATI RADEON 2GB GDDR5.
spartan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #58
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
First off, I don't like the legs bow currently. I figured the feet would go outward, rather than inward - he looks difficult to balance as is. That being said, it's easy to fix once you rig the guy for posing, so no biggie overall.

Secondly, AWESOME Absolutely gotta love the Egyptian Jackal inspired headpiece. The sculpting is solid, and the armour design is fairly ornate - again, it suits the Egyptian inspired style. Overall, the guy is giving off a serious Egyptian Battle Droid combo vibe, and that's a pretty neat take on a robot.

That being said, the spindly limbs could be a question mark going forwards. He looks kinda weak, and even if he's supposed to be more fast than powerful, and even if he spends most of his time on that glider thing, you should consider doing something to beef up his silhouette a bit. Maybe some sort of cloth, worn like a cape? Or cables coming out of the plugs in his back and connecting to the arms? Something to fill in the negative space between his torso and his spindly arms...

Also, I gotta say I miss the bigger mecha design you were originally going for. But this guy's cool too

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #59
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_solo View Post
I like very much the design of the head and chest by the legs against me leave on my end
Thankyou, legs are undergoing some changes to add width but keep the mass down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drGrim View Post
maybe it just looks odd because of the way the model is posed at the moment. make sure the feet are placed a little furthur apart for final pose.. give it more sense of balance. i personally like the thin legs idea.. looks kinda cool. love the progress.. good job man
Again thanks, yup he'll have a rockstar pose later and the legs are at 75% extension here, the lower section is in a relaxed state so that should change things up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creos 3D View Post
Nice character. Reminds me trooper from a Star Wars movie. Love the idea with transformation of the gun - flying cycle.
Dang I been rumbled. Ive avoided using refs from the speederbikes but now you mention it there is a little something in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan118 View Post
Love the design, its very original especially the upper body
Then Ive hit the mark on that one - glad you appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsanityV20 View Post
First off, I don't like the legs bow currently. I figured the feet would go outward, rather than inward - he looks difficult to balance as is. That being said, it's easy to fix once you rig the guy for posing, so no biggie overall.
See above, this should all be ok when you see the final, rough rigg tests Ive not shown used for measuring out the bike config have prety good poses, I think. Legs are angled out at the mo, but theyll go further out so dont worry.

Quote:
Secondly, AWESOME Absolutely gotta love the Egyptian Jackal inspired headpiece. Overall, the guy is giving off a serious Egyptian Battle Droid combo vibe, and that's a pretty neat take on a robot.
Thats real nice of you to say Vinsanity, much appreciated hope it doesnt go off track for you. The Egyptian thing was totally unconscious but hard to deny I must admit.

Quote:
spindly limbs could be a question mark going forwards. you should consider doing something to beef up his silhouette a bit. Maybe some sort of cloth, worn like a cape? Or cables coming out of the plugs in his back and connecting to the arms? Something to fill in the negative space between his torso and his spindly arms...
I know what your saying, Ive tried the cable thing and may well go back to it it time allows, NO! capes though, they bad in every way Issue hopefully addressed next figure update. If not I think my base and pose should get round this, not gonna give it away just yet but soon...

Quote:
Also, I gotta say I miss the bigger mecha design you were originally going for. But this guy's cool too
Me too mate, but Ill definately do it after the war so keep looking in the forums, I may do it HP instead though.

Little update for the Lanc-R - the design got away form me for a while but I think its finalised now, lost the upper wings as all they added was clutter. Gun now cut into the upper shell, its hidden between the nose spears in these shots, and added in panels for the hidden sting.

Thanks all for the input.

Name:  Presentationlayout-wip-003.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  186.2 KB

C and C welcomed.

Last edited by Steamtrooper; 20-04-2009 at 01:26 PM..
Old 20-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #60
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
K, dinner and sunlight break, after that high poly fun, texturing and presentation. Low polies done cept for last minute tweaks.

Test run of figure with very rough WIP, Normal and AO map on, they are half size and untweaked, sorry about quality of last few posts but Im also working up my lighting rig and render settings so things are a little mussed for now.

Winglets not shown in this render. I shall endevour to do paintovers to show intended textures in next day or two. Im prety set on Gloss white paneling with black rubber detailing and silver edge work, but well see how that pans after PO's.

Name:  Presentationlayout-004.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  126.5 KB

C and C welcomed.

Tags
cernunnos, dominance war, heavenly, mecha