>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Myths and Legends - Nov 2009 > Matte Painting - "Dragons Lair"

Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
dges

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 4
dgeges - Dragon's Lair

Hello everyone !

Nice subject, I really like it !

For now, i'm still searching... And I do a first speed sketch yesterday. I'm not really convinced by the composition, so I'll do other sketches.

dges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
glazyrin

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
i like sketch! good luck!
Old 10-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
denniz

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
I love the mood and initial coloring. Great sketch!
denniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
loving the sketch! nicely done
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
ssmakx

neat lighting and depth .. waiting to see more.
ssmakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
snwbrdr

Well, that's one amazing start! Can't wait for more..
snwbrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
really love the mood/colors and composition, I say stick with this one
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
dges

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Thank you everyone !

I don't know yet... So I did another sketch :

But, maybe for a mattepainting the first one is more interesting.

and another i didnt finish... more quiet for a green dragon.

Last edited by dges; 13-11-2009 at 11:49 AM..
dges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
penguins
Penguin shaman

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge ''feeling peckish, for peanuts'' 
Total Awards: 2
Love your sketches, they are truly amazing. Can't wait to see more.
penguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
xeni

Send a message via MSN to xeni
That is very good like it.

Xeni– Dragon's Lair
xeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
If you can make a matte painting out of the fire one, it would turn out epic But I reckon you should start asap, making realistic lava environment is quite hard.
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 05:49 AM   #12
dges

Awards Showcase
Thank you everyone ! And yes, I will do the lava one, but with some changes. I begin tonight to have enought time.
Old 16-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
unity95

I too like the Mount Doom one. nice feeling.
unity95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
dges

Awards Showcase
update

Hi !

this is an update.
I work with a larger format and black border, because i put first the perspective normally and after i'll rotate.

I changed a little bit the sketch too to have a better composition.

Old 17-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #15
matellis

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
Coming along very nicely, I can picture the lava stream going toward the camera and light up all the rock on the way. Its going to make for a very strong composition!
matellis is offline   Reply With Quote