>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 25-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Rich-M

Halo 3 Pelican Dropship VFX Quality

I'm trying to improve my overall modelling and VFX workflow skills based on what I learnt creating my T-800 Terminator I started a year ago.

I decided doing a Halo 3 Pelican Dropship as it gives me a chance to a do a big sci-fi vehicle project which I haven't done for ages.

C&Cs are welcome, thanks!

Attached Images

Last edited by Rich-M; 06-09-2010 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: removed in game Screenshot
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Rich-M

Update 1

An older WIP.

Old 25-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Rich-M

Update 2

Most recent WIP.

Old 26-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
Rich-M

Heres the latest WIP, I'm starting to flesh out the surface detail and "wings" now.

Old 27-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
WalterArcher

Hi,
Nice project is this.The design of the project is really fantastic.I like this and I would like to say that it an appreciable work.Really fantastic pictures are posted.The design of the work is very different and I had never seen this type of an awesome design.
Old 30-08-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
Rich-M

Cheers WalterArcher, the design is from Halo 3.

Just the rear engines to do now.
Old 31-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Tempest1295
Banned.

Really nice Pelican Dropship, going to look great once you have this is finished!
Tempest1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
Rich-M

Cheers Tempest1295!

I've almost competed the modelling phase now, just some final tweaks to do regarding odd sided polys and I'm set for unwrapping.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Looks great . Pretty neat wireframe as well..

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
Looking good! Quick question about unwrapping/texturing. Do you export all UVs in one sheet for texturing or do you keep them separate: hull/wings/engines?

My WIP dump
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #11
sean_rodrigues

Really nice shapes. Can't wait to see the panels on the ship.

Sean
sean_rodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
Rich-M

Thanks everyone! In answer to your question McFly I'm keeping the exterior on one 4K texture sheet for the moment and the interior on another, though I might split it up into say, the fuselage, wings, rear engines and interior if the resolution isn,t high enough.

Although you can't see it from the size of the WIP sheet, I've chamfered all the edges out (hence the massive increase in polygon count) and added a few more edge loops to make the shape smoother as well as added more detail to the engines and the surface of the main body.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
Nice going but there is some stretching on the wings and on the curvy bit of the hull (above where wings connect to the hull).
Anyway can't wait to see what you'll come up with here.

My WIP dump
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
I_AM_DAVE_COX
Professional Poly Pusher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
I cannot wait until your next update!
I_AM_DAVE_COX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 04:41 AM   #15
Rich-M

@McFly- Thanks! I had a look at the distortion and it turned out to be caused by the tiles being mirrored when they were tiled.

@I_AM_DAVE_COX- Cheers, the next update should hopefully be some rough textures sorted out or some extra detail on the interior

Tags
dropship, halo, hard surface, pelican