>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 26-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
pixagen
Generalist/Environment

3D Graphics Masters course?

Hello,

I would like to call out to people who have some information/knowledge about some universities out there that have good Masters courses in CG.

I am currently finishing my third year Bachelor studies at Birmingham City University in the UK. I am on an Animation course.
For my Masters I am not necessarily looking for an Animation course.. but it could be a 3D Graphics course in general, or really anything that covers CG.
I am planning on becoming a Generalist and specialize mainly as an environment artist if that helps.

Would really appreciate some help.

Thank you!
pixagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

Send a message via MSN to TekNeek
There's no better school than working in a studio.

My two cents: push for a job. You can use your graduation piece to showcase your abilities. In this field,nothing matters more than an impressive reel.

From the wise word of Jason Manley "you can teach an artist the tools, but it's difficult to teach someone who knows the tools to be an artist". My point is: after 3 years of 3D school, I would think you know the tools well enough, and have good enough understanding to, when you run into a problem, find your way around it, or at least know what it is you should be searching for to get the answer.

My experience is that, school teach you the tools, but not the art (well, except animations). And, most get funded on how many heads they graduate, so often, they wont bust your balls hard enough for you to benefit.

Workplaces, on the other hand, push you. But, that's beneficial.

Show us more of your stuff, and post on other forums. Work hard, value comments, try to be better than the other guy.

If you're deadset on schools, there's a good one, I've heard, in Bournemouth. But, If you have the moneys for it, Vancouver Film school is the sh*t!

--Showreel--
TekNeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
pixagen
Generalist/Environment

Hey TekNeek,

I agree with what you've said and I really can't wait until I finish university and possibly a Master's to "get out there" and utilize my skills. Although, I feel that whilst I am young I could squeeze the maximum out of the available educational system, meaning finish a Master's degree.
I think that might bring benefits later on that I would be glad to have. Also, I would plan to work while I am doing my Master's... if that is not to extensive, but we will see.

I have just looked at Vancouver Film School and I am absolutely loving their Modelling Course. It covers a WHOLE lot of area, not just specifically modeling which is what I want, although I haven't found a price tag yet.
With uni I might apply for a scholarship because I do have a portfolio, but with private institutions you have to pay... no way around it :/ .
Old 26-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

Send a message via MSN to TekNeek
I hear what you're saying, and I've said my two cents.

But, to add, most often, getting ahead in this industry, it's not what you know but who you know. So, network like a crazy person.

That's why, you should post your stuff online, and partake in online competitions and stuff.

But, also good luck.

--Showreel--
TekNeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
pixagen
Generalist/Environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekNeek View Post
I hear what you're saying, and I've said my two cents.

But, to add, most often, getting ahead in this industry, it's not what you know but who you know. So, network like a crazy person.

That's why, you should post your stuff online, and partake in online competitions and stuff.

But, also good luck.
Yep, true.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate it .