>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Myths and Legends - Nov 2009 > Low Poly - "The Slayer"

Old 17-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #31
Insania

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 3
Nice sculpting
Insania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 03:24 AM   #32
pogimonz
mango smoothie!

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
here's the blade that sits around his waist..

It was a quick sculpt, so there's quite a few flaws here and there.. but it's good enough for me..
Attached Images

Last edited by pogimonz; 20-11-2009 at 07:00 AM..
pogimonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #33
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
superb!
Old 20-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #34
bryzol
Konrad Kielczykowski

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #8 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: I was second place in the Lost Jungle Sculpting Challenge (Amazon Warrior)Challenge. The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 4
He looks great but the wepon is stuning!
bryzol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #35
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
Very cool concept! i like the boost also!
Old 24-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #36
pogimonz
mango smoothie!

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
updates: New body armor. And started on the low poly.

anyone have tips on using xnormal? like setting wise... I'd like to give it a shot... thanks in advance..
Attached Images

Last edited by pogimonz; 25-11-2009 at 06:09 PM..
Old 24-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #37
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Pogimonz, the original documentation downloaded with the app is very well done and the default settings are sufficient (for me)
good job for your low poly!

Last edited by chris_solo; 24-11-2009 at 06:38 PM..
chris_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #38
yoyomon
Registered Lurker

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' 
Total Awards: 1
If your lazy (like me) and don't want to read the doc you can always check out these youtube vids. I followed them and the results are pretty good.

Vid I

Vid II
yoyomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #39
Martin_x

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge ''Army of One'' 
Total Awards: 5
I use default options for normal map and for AO I reduce bias
Martin_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #40
pogimonz
mango smoothie!

Awards Showcase
Thanks so much for the tips on xnormal guys.

I tried using the program but was not getting satisfying results, though it
does bake 10x faster than what I'm used to... maybe I'm just not setting it
up right, I was getting a lot of overlaying errors.. I can't figure out how to
setup the projection cage on it..

anyway, I just did all my bakes in max like what I usually do, I think it
produces better cleaner bakes than xnormal... though it takes longer time.

updates: added more geos where needed, cleaned up the low poly, and baked normals and ao.
Attached Images

Last edited by pogimonz; 25-11-2009 at 09:02 PM..
Old 25-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #41
Insania

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Good job.
Insania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #42
the_bromox
Twin B

Send a message via MSN to the_bromox
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Hey there Pogi,
Been followin ya here on 3Dtotal, your stuff is looking awesome my friend! Your normals come out great but I find your topology does not give the high rez normals the flow it needs to help with subtle details. I found the easiest way around this was to make my cage around the med rez (5) from Zbrush however it is tedius to go plane by plane etc.
Theres an AMAZING plugin out there called "NEX", it will allow you to draw your low rez geomtry over your high rez geomtry you have. It will allow you to draw both triangles and quads. The vertices are drawn right on the mesh so when you move them around they follow the normals on the mesh. Using this plugin I am able to make and tweak my low poly model in a fraction of the time with much better results. Average length for me to draw my low rez mesh is about 1 hour. Please check it out, you will be very impressed. Msg me on Msn about it. I'd would show ya what I been doin but can't, i'm workin for Dept of National Defense now and it takes forever to releasement forms.
Old 28-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #43
pogimonz
mango smoothie!

Awards Showcase
Insania: thanks man, nice job on your character, you've got some
serious modeling skills.. hope to see you at the finish line, go go go!

bromox: wow! haven's seen you in the forums lately, nice of you to
stop by, haha.. I totaly agree w/ your comment regarding the low poly not
having enough geos to represent the higher res model.. that's a problem
retopologizing has, it shrinks the model and messes up the silhuette. But it's
actually a quick fix, I just take it back to zbrush and use the inflate and
move tool to improve the proportions.

anyway, I took your advice and added more polys in some areas to improve
the silhuette. thanks!

also I've checked out the NEX plugin that you speak of, it has some nice
features, but too bad it's only offered for Maya and I use 3ds max =/.. If
there's any other retopo program that you know of, let me know man..

updates: added more polygons to the low poly for better silhuette, and did
some lighting work to test out the overall proportions... been a slow progress
lately due to holidays, =P, but I'll find some time in the weekend to finish the
project *finger crossed*.. Late Happy Thanks Giving!.. nuff talk..
Attached Images

Old 28-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #44
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
nice character Pogimonz!
Old 28-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #45
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
get some textures on this guy so you can submit.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote